Any point in transferring to Steam?

Barklight

Random thought today.

Call me lazy if you will, but I still haven't migrated my license over to Steam.  I still have all of the store archives from 18.2 and up, as well as mods folders from each for compatibility.  Is there any real point in transferring my license to Steam?

Dang, you're fast as usual, LGG :)

Thanks for the input.  Wasn't sure if Steam vs Store archives tied into bug reporting or such.  Not so crazy on beta access myself as I'm not a mod dev :)

Edited by Barklight

Steam makes it marginally easier to get updates (better servers than squad, optional autoupdates) and marginally harder to hang on to old saves (no zip in your downloads folder, you can only launch the newest version directly through steam).

If you use steam for other stuff then I'd recommend it; if not then don't bother.

I bought KSP through Steam, I have a shortcut to KSP.exe that bypasses the Steam launcher.

Reason 1: a bit faster startup.

Reason 2: updates on MY schedule. Which is important as the auto-upgrade doesn't upgrade the mods - for which upgrades don't even exist at the time. So I should hold back the upgrade and do it when the mods caught up, and not when Steam forces me to.

I was too late (at version 0.23) to get the Steam offer but I got the impression that it was time-limited anyway,  Do you still even have the option?
Coincidentally, I've just been on Steam and was wondering whether to buy a second version of KSP there as it's so cheap.  In the end I couldn't think why I'd want to, apart from being able to write a review (which are currently only at 94% positive - which reminds me, I must throw a banana at @Alshain, even if he is right *grin*).

Higher, more stable bandwidth. The volume of complaints I see about the store has generally gone down every update but I get all my games through Steam anyway. KSP also doesn't have any DRM so you're not stuck to the Steam install path, allowing you to circumvent auto-updating and have many installs for different purposes.

But it's really up to you. Do you use Steam a lot? Then it might be worth it.

Edited by regex

I use steam a lot.  over 200 items in my library.  If I'm not playing battlefield, star citizen, or KSP, I'm playing something on Steam during my gaming times.  That being said...

I like managing my own KSP content and being able to do so without fear of steam mucking up saves or updating it when I don't want it to.  I'll transfer it to steam once that becomes something that benefits the development team, if ever :)

Thanks for the input.  I was simply curious, good to spark a random discussion.  Fly safe :)

3 minutes ago, Barklight said:

I like managing my own KSP content and being able to do so without fear of steam mucking up saves or updating it when I don't want it to. 

It's like people don't bother reading posts...

You can do that by copying the KSP folder from the Steam apps folder to another location on your harddrive.

3 minutes ago, Barklight said:

I'll transfer it to steam once that becomes something that benefits the development team, if ever :)

:rolleyes: If Steam didn't provide a net benefit to the developer it wouldn't be on Steam. 

47 minutes ago, regex said:

:rolleyes: If Steam didn't provide a net benefit to the developer it wouldn't be on Steam. 

I actually can't think of a single downside to users swapping to steam from SQUAD's perspective. It reduces load on their servers and costs them literally nothing as far as I can tell - the game's already paid for.

6 hours ago, Armisael said:

If you use steam for other stuff then I'd recommend it; if not then don't bother.

I agree with this.

Also you can trade cards and stuff. On that note, if anyone wants the 'three kerbals' background for their steam profile, I have one I'm not using.

5 hours ago, Pecan said:

(which are currently only at 94% positive - which reminds me, I must throw a banana at @Alshain, even if he is right *grin*).

Hey, if they fix the game I fix my review :P  I don't encourage people to buy broken games.  When it's fixed, I will then be able to encourage people to buy it again.

I agree Steam is useful if you have an account as it makes managing your collection a lot easier.  If you don't already have Steam, there isn't much point... unless you just want to start.  I currently have 127 games on my account, which is a small number compared to some people, and only 5 that are not in that list that are still runnable (I may have some really old games lying around, but mostly not functional in modern Windows).  Namely Minecraft, 3 Blizzard titles, and Spore (which I bought on disk and regret buying at all).  So obviously it's beneficial for me to keep all my games in a few locations as possible.  I'd love it if I could get the Blizzard titles and Minecraft on Steam, but I know that won't happen.

Edited by Alshain

Even if you don't use transfer your account to Steam (and that's presuming you even can do that), you can still launch the game through Steam via "install non-Steam game." You don't get cards (which are kinda worthless), the news feed (which is certainly not better than the forums), or the second screenshot key that conflicts with the deb-…heywaitaminit.

For the record, those who had an early version of the gane and were given the option to move to steam still have that option. Beware that it's one way only - there's no way back to the KSP store unless you buy it at the store again.

Steam goodies are practically worthless. Steam might update slightly quicker but it also does this without your consent, potentially ruining your save. Installing KSP from the store takes slightly more effort but keeps you in total control of how, when and where to install. Installing mods and making back-ups are identical for both.

Long story short: Is it worth it? No! Both versions are technically identical and neither has any significant benefits over the other.

8 hours ago, Tex_NL said:

Installing KSP from the store takes slightly more effort but keeps you in total control of how, when and where to install.

FFS will you people stop propogating this utter and complete nonsense!? THERE IS NOTHING PREVENTING YOU FROM COPYING YOUR KSP STEAM INSTALL FILES ELSEWHERE. Your statement here indicates otherwise and it is totally untrue. And before you go there, downloading KSP from Steam and then copying it elsewhere takes literally the same amount of effort as installing from the damn Store!

Whether you use Steam is pretty much preference, there is NO difference in operation if you PAY ATTENTION and USE COMMON DAMN SENSE.

36 minutes ago, regex said:

FFS will you people stop propogating this utter and complete nonsense!? THERE IS NOTHING PREVENTING YOU FROM COPYING YOUR KSP STEAM INSTALL FILES ELSEWHERE. Your statement here indicates otherwise and it is totally untrue.

What I said is 100% true. And I NEVER said you can not copy your Steam install.
Installing/updating your Steam install is just a few clicks. Installing from the Squad store require a few more manual actions.

And before you go there, downloading KSP from Steam and then copying it elsewhere takes literally the same amount of effort as installing from the damn Store!

True. Installing from Steam AND making a duplicate requires roughly the same work as just installing from the Squad store. But with the Steam version you do not have to make a duplicate and therefore takes less work.

Whether you use Steam is pretty much preference, there is NO difference in operation if you PAY ATTENTION and USE COMMON DAMN SENSE.

Finally your saying something that makes sense. But I already said that in my original post: "neither has any significant benefits over the other".

On 8/27/2016 at 4:15 PM, Pecan said:

I was too late (at version 0.23) to get the Steam offer but I got the impression that it was time-limited anyway,  Do you still even have the option?

There's still a 'connect with steam' or something like that button in my KSP account somewhere, unused as I don't have steam.

47 minutes ago, X-SR71 said:

Achievements would be a good reason to migrate! If we only had them.. :(

Kinda have to disagree there. Most of the achievements I see on Steam games are things like "Beat level 5!"…and then a separate achievement "Beat the boss of level 5!" Which is, of course, equivalent to the first thing. Which makes most of them meaningless.

Doesn't KSP through Steam include features for better Steam integration including the controller? On the Linux version downloaded through Steam I have various steamworks-related files and folders. I don't think they're in the KSP store version are they.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.