[Kopernicus] [1.2.1] ProtoJeb's Planets Development Thread

ProtoJeb21

Some Questions  

43 members have voted

1. 1. Should I Add the HAT-P-22 System?

What Is This?

ProtoJeb's Planets is a Kopernicus star pack that adds in real exoplanet systems that have been either discovered or observed by me, ProtoJeb21. Unlike Interstellar Adventure Revived, there will be NO hypothetical moons added to known planets. I will keep the amount of celestial bodies limited to those that I have observational and scientific evidence for. There will be two options for this mod: Real-scale or Stock scale. The Real-scale PJP has every object and orbit the same way it will be in reality, including estimated masses. Stock scale is where everything is proportional to Kerbin, the Sun, and its orbit instead of to our real-life system. This is the same case with IA-Revived.

What Objects Will Be Added?

PJP will add any confirmed planets I find, as well as systems I have analyzed in the past. I have two likely candidates awaiting confirmation, so for now the HAT-P-22b system will be added.

Screenshots:

http://imgur.com/gallery/VPVT7

Download Link:

None ATM

Acknowledgements

Thanks to:

• Debra Fischer for Planet Hunters, where I have made most of my discoveries on.
  • @Thomas P. for Kopernicus and Kittopia Tech.
  • @_Augustus_ for finding the ESI values for Kupole and Indra.
  • @GregroxMun for his helpful planet-making streams.
  • @KillAshley for his Kopernicus examples, which have improved my work with planet-making.
  • @The Raging Sandwich, @Spaceception, and others who have supported my Planet Hunters discoveries.
  • Other Kopernicus modders who have helped me learn how to create planets.
Edited by ProtoJeb21
Development updates [20Feb17]

6 minutes ago, The Raging Sandwich said:

Can't wait to see it! :)

You already have. Those pictures of the Koyash system planets in SE are what the planets will look like in the mod. Unless the textures you made in Planet Maker could be exported. That would be cool. :) 

53 minutes ago, OrbitalBuzzsaw said:

Wait. You use "Size Of Earth" as a metric, so is it for RSS? If not, it's gonna make everyone's lives easier if you use "Size of Kerbin" or a number. Just a thought, looks really cool tho, @ProtoJeb21

It's not in RSS, but I'll make a patch for it. Also, in the context of this mod, Earth radius and Kerbin radius mean the same thing.

48 minutes ago, RedParadize said:

I kinda agree with @OrbitalBuzzsaw. I use sigma dimention to rescale planet pack to 64x. Make my like so much easyer. Same could be done for 10x scale.

See my comment, above.

45 minutes ago, The Raging Sandwich said:

I just realized that I'd to export the planet's textures, I'd have to completely remake the planets exactly and export it from those. 

:( Well, at least the textures can still be exported.

24 minutes ago, ProtoJeb21 said:

It's not in RSS, but I'll make a patch for it. Also, in the context of this mod, Earth radius and Kerbin radius mean the same thing.

OK, just might be a little confusing

EDIT : I don't want an RSS patch, just curious

Edited by OrbitalBuzzsaw

Just one question, will the layout of all the star systems be like the KerbalGalaxy2 mod? Also, will this mod be compatible with the Outer Planets mod? Because when I had KerbalGalaxy2, the outer planets were all the way in the center of the galaxy. Just a suggestion if you haven't already thought about it.

On August 30, 2016 at 8:31 PM, The Raging Sandwich said:

Just one question, will the layout of all the star systems be like the KerbalGalaxy2 mod? Also, will this mod be compatible with the Outer Planets mod? Because when I had KerbalGalaxy2, the outer planets were all the way in the center of the galaxy. Just a suggestion if you haven't already thought about it.

The stars are orbiting the Sun, and they are in very similar places. I already have Koyash and IPH-4A done. Speaking of which, I found out that IPH-3 has a red dwarf companion and IPH-4 is the main member of a wide K-dwarf binary. Those other stars will be in the mod.

2 hours ago, ProtoJeb21 said:

The stars are orbiting the Sun, and they are in very similar places. I already have Koyash and IPH-4A done. Speaking of which, I found out that IPH-3 has a red dwarf companion and IPH-4 is the main member of a wide K-dwarf binary. Those other stars will be in the mod.

So I'm assuming it won't mess up OPM at all?

I have a new idea for analysis and inclusion of the IPH-2 system. I now believe that it only has 2 or 3 planets: one inner sub-Earth and two outer Earth-sized planets. What I need to do is perform a deeper analysis of the light curve to identify how many different transiting candidates there really are. If I can't find out how many there really are by the time I release version 0.1, I'll add in a "placeholder" planet that represents the 1-body model: a single, 0.75-Earth radius planet orbiting every 9.5 days. I will also find out as much as I can about the whole HAT-P-22 system so I can add that in for a later version. What do you guys think? My results of the IPH-2 analysis should be posted in a few hours.

SYSTEM UPDATE:

I did my analysis of IPH-2, and it turns out the system is much different. Those 5 planets were either the three that I just found, or where results of stellar activity. Here are the 3 new candidates of IPH-2:

• IPH-2b: A small "hell planet", orbiting its star every 4 days with a front side covered in molten rock. It is 66% the size of Kerbin/Earth.
  • IPH-2c: At 0.5764 E_Radii, IPH-2c is the smallest planet I have yet found. It orbits IPH-2 every 12.5 days and may have some small lakes of lava. Basalt flows should be the dominant terrain.
  • IPH-2d: This world is the most similar to one of the previous candidates of the system, with 0.9 times Earth's radius and an orbital period of 90.25 days. A hot and dusty desert planet locked into a 3:2 rotation-orbit resonance.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Okay, this mod is going to be on hold until I can get some planets confirmed. That hasn't stopped me from developing the two likely (yet unconfirmed) ocean worlds I found last week, complete with custom textures and EVE patches!

tfiOzNs.png

8VwnSbZ.png

http://imgur.com/gallery/VPVT7

Along with clouds, both worlds have custom atmospheres, aurorae, and even lightning!

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.