[1.12.x] Vessel Viewer Continued

linuxgurugamer

2 hours ago, DeliriumTrigger said:

Hi @linuxgurugamer,

While diagnosing some issues (serious, numerous, frustrating issues) with my modlist with @JonnyOThanon the /r/KSP discord, we came across this in my logs. 

106989 [EXC 14:55:44.928] FileNotFoundException: Could not load file or assembly 'VesselViewPlugin, Version=0.8.8.5, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null' or one of its dependencies.

I'm not really sure if it's an issue or expected behavior, since I've never actually had a problem with Vessel Viewer that I know of.   I was able to reproduce the error with a clean KSP install with nothing but Vessel Viewer, VesselView-UI-RasterPropMonitor and the CKAN auto-grabbed dependencies.  Jonny said on the discord to report it if I could reproduce it without all the other stuff installed since failing to load assemblies is usually "real bad", so here I am.

Here's a link to the KSP.log from the clean install.

How did you install it?  According to the log file, that DLL is just not there.

I'm guessing you did a manual install

Also, it's better to get me the Player.log, the KSP.lgo is missing some info, but it looks like you have a very old version of VV installed

1 hour ago, linuxgurugamer said:

How did you install it?  According to the log file, that DLL is just not there.

I'm guessing you did a manual install

Also, it's better to get me the Player.log, the KSP.lgo is missing some info, but it looks like you have a very old version of VV installed

To be clear, what I'm doing to install:

1. Open CKAN on a clean instance of KSP 1.12.3 w/ all DLC
  2. Mark 1.12.* as compatible
  3. Check mark to install Vessel Viewer Continued, version 0.8.8.5, Max game version 1.12.2, which is the latest version available on CKAN
  4. Choose to Install ASET Props as suggested by CKAN
  5. Choose VesselView-UI-RasterPropMonitor when CKAN says "Module VesselView-UI is provided by more than one available module, please choose one of the following mods"

To reproduce the error, I just throw a MK1 on top of an SRB and launch.

I just cleared the vessel viewer download from the CKAN cache and reinstalled Vessel Viewer on the off chance that the package I downloaded was messed up in some way, but that wasn't the problem.  Here are the contents of the plugins directory inside of the Vessel Viewer package that CKAN installs into Gamedata (sorry about the big picture, 4k monitor):

hIaaRV7.png

As you can see, the plugin isn't there.  

Edit:  Here is the player.log, sorry, took me a minute to find

Edited by DeliriumTrigger

43 minutes ago, DeliriumTrigger said:

To be clear, what I'm doing to install:

1. Open CKAN on a clean instance of KSP 1.12.3 w/ all DLC
  2. Mark 1.12.* as compatible
  3. Check mark to install Vessel Viewer Continued, version 0.8.8.5, Max game version 1.12.2, which is the latest version available on CKAN
  4. Choose to Install ASET Props as suggested by CKAN
  5. Choose VesselView-UI-RasterPropMonitor when CKAN says "Module VesselView-UI is provided by more than one available module, please choose one of the following mods"

To reproduce the error, I just throw a MK1 on top of an SRB and launch.

I just cleared the vessel viewer download from the CKAN cache and reinstalled Vessel Viewer on the off chance that the package I downloaded was messed up in some way, but that wasn't the problem.  Here are the contents of the plugins directory inside of the Vessel Viewer package that CKAN installs into Gamedata (sorry about the big picture, 4k monitor):

hIaaRV7.png

As you can see, the plugin isn't there.  

Edit:  Here is the player.log, sorry, took me a minute to find

Use CKAN to install the VesselView-UI-Toolbar, that will solve the problem

Please confirm, then I'll get CKAN updated for this

• 2 months later...
On 4/25/2022 at 10:51 PM, linuxgurugamer said:

Use CKAN to install the VesselView-UI-Toolbar, that will solve the problem

Please confirm, then I'll get CKAN updated for this

I just ran into this too, but installing the VesselView-UI-Toolbar solved it for me.

• 4 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, Aaron11 said:

你好,请问这个mod现在可以适配1.11版本吗?

我看changelog上只写了适配1.12,所以有些担心

Why are you running 1.11?  Most mods that work for 1.11 will also work in 1.12, but the reverse is not true (many will, but it's not guaranteed).

Edited by JonnyOThan

• 4 months later...
On 7/4/2022 at 9:07 PM, linuxgurugamer said:

Ah.  Ok , I thought I had fixed that

This is still an issue on CKAN - and I just realized, CKAN hasn't picked up 0.8.8.6 because it was never updated on Spacedock.  If that version also contains the dependency fix, then that's why.

17 hours ago, JonnyOThan said:

This is still an issue on CKAN - and I just realized, CKAN hasn't picked up 0.8.8.6 because it was never updated on Spacedock.  If that version also contains the dependency fix, then that's why.

Well, that was an easy fix.  Just uploaded it.

• 2 months later...

Hello and thank you for keeping this mod alive!

I have been using this mod FOREVER. One thing that always confused me about it is why the FPS hit? I'm trying to learn to programing and looked at the source but I don't see any reason why my FPS gets cut in half like it does with this mod active.

Line 90 of VesselViewer.cs "//Latency mode to limit to one frame per second if FPS is affected"

Does this not work? If that's supposed to mean it drops to drawing once every 75 frames I would say it doesn't work since when you are getting 5 FPS after opening the window you would notice lol.

I'm not really too concerned about this mod not working well for me with my 300 part crafts but I always wondered.

54 minutes ago, SpaceFoon said:

Hello and thank you for keeping this mod alive!

I have been using this mod FOREVER. One thing that always confused me about it is why the FPS hit? I'm trying to learn to programing and looked at the source but I don't see any reason why my FPS gets cut in half like it does with this mod active.

Line 90 of VesselViewer.cs "//Latency mode to limit to one frame per second if FPS is affected"

Does this not work? If that's supposed to mean it drops to drawing once every 75 frames I would say it doesn't work since when you are getting 5 FPS after opening the window you would notice lol.

I'm not really too concerned about this mod not working well for me with my 300 part crafts but I always wondered.

Yeah, it’s always been pretty terrible but I’ve never looked into it. You can toggle the latency mode to high or obscene on the mfd and it’s not too bad, but updates less often. If you’re interested, there’s a guide here for profiling KSP mods. Maybe you’ll find something interesting. 

https://gist.github.com/gotmachine/d973adcb9ae413386291170fa346d043

Well you made me curious so I went and looked. This is a horrible way to draw meshes - one triangle at a time from software.  It looks like they tried to submit the whole mesh at once at some point, but it’s commented out.  https://github.com/linuxgurugamer/VesselViewer/blob/4a7d019419fa41b3a3f2caa16d5009341d03bf10/VesselView/VesselViewer.cs#L984

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 3/13/2023 at 6:08 AM, JonnyOThan said:

Hey @linuxgurugamerI sent you a PR with some pretty significant optimizations.  Runs ~14x faster in my testing: https://github.com/linuxgurugamer/VesselViewer/pull/21

Awesome! Makes me regret that I'm stuck to version 0.8.6.1 (it was the last RPM-only version of Vessel View)

2 hours ago, Stone Blue said:

Hmm.. changelog is pretty thin...

There used to be three versions of VV before: RPM-only, toolbar-only and all-in-one version (I guess it was a pain to update 3 mods instead of 1), with 0.8.7 only one remained. It's a long story why I'm still using RPM-only version. After KSP 1.4 and VV 0.8.7 update I messed up my RPM install so I had to revert and stick to 0.8.6 until I found the problem so I  got used to it (there was RPM included into VV download together with JSI utilities and I mixed 2 RPM versions, as I discovered years later when I got more experienced with mods). Currently there are two reasons why I'm still using RPM-only version: background transparency and having no ClickThroughBlocker as a dependency.  RPM-only version has a transparent background by default and doesn't need Vulkan's modifications to work with his holo-display. And CTB is somewhat incompatible with my control layout. After 1.7.1 update with all these juicy extra custom axis I had to add moar axis to my home-made hotas to control them all:  a secondary throttle for VTOL engines, servo rotation controls. All these extra axis don't have a fixed 50% central point, their neutral position is 0. CTB locks all axis that aren't centered at 50% at scene load and force sets them to 50% (this is how the stock InputLockManager works, nothing can be done)  so I get engines going half-throttle  and servos violently rotating from 0 to 50% position every scene load causing the Scene Load Kracken. CTB has an option to disable it's functions but it's hidden within preprocessor directives, and I'm too lazy to remove dust from M$ Visual Studio, take source and compile it (and face the unforeseen consequences)

Edited by Manul

14 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

New release, 0.8.9

• Thanks to @JonnyOThan for this:
    • Optimize VV rendering (much faster)
    • Remove JSIPartUtilities dependency

Now that vessel viewer does not require JSI Part Utilities, is it possible to delete the gamedata folder? Or could it cause an error? I don't have ERS installed and it seems to be the only dependency that requires it.

19 hours ago, Polito said:

Now that vessel viewer does not require JSI Part Utilities, is it possible to delete the gamedata folder? Or could it cause an error? I don't have ERS installed and it seems to be the only dependency that requires it.

Huh?  What are you talking about, what GameData folder?  Unless you are referring the the JSIPartUtilities folder.

How did you install everything, if using CKAN, it will delete unneeded folders, or at least, if you try to remove it and it's needed, it will let you know

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.