Landing gear/wheels. How to make them work?

I've returned to KSP after not touching it since 1.05, only to discover that my usual early plane (3 ton tail dragger) is impossible to take off because the basic landing gear bounces like a possessed rat.

What do the spring/damper/friction settings actually do and how does one go about using landing gear these days so it actually works?

Apologies if this is the infamous 1.10 wheel bug I heard mentioned, a quick cruise through the forums revealed no obvious answers.

3-point takeoff.
Place wheels carefully to be sure the are parallel.

Bewing reduces friction on the front wheel, which reduces wheelbarrowing in nosewheel aircraft. (I just trim pitch up on the takeoff roll to get the weight off the nosewheel)  Adjusting wheel parameters seems unlikely to help your tail-wheel aircraft, unless you are hitting one or the other suspension limit.   
There might be something else useful to you in this long thread:

I had the benefit of starting with version 1.1.0, and starting aircraft with 1.1.2, so never used the old landing gear.  You can try my lightest and heaviest tail-draggers that use the lightest landing gear if you like.

Put your carriage gear directly under your main wing and forward of your CoM, put some incidence on the main wing, and curse a lot. The tiny fixed gears are super finnicky and like to stop working as wheels and turn into toothpicks.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.