BeamNG Style Breakable Parts

I was browsing through a thread and they were talking about breakable parts, and I thought, this would be cool. I forgot the name of this specifically, and I am almost 100% sure, that like everything in this discussion board, will never be implemented. How ever, it is fun to discuss some ideas that we can wish to be eventually true. I had some questions about this implementation:

How would mods deal with it?

How would it work?

How would it affect game performance?

And last but not least:

Is it even physically possible?

1 hour ago, Aperture Science Employee said:

I was browsing through a thread and they were talking about breakable parts, and I thought, this would be cool. I forgot the name of this specifically, and I am almost 100% sure, that like everything in this discussion board, will never be implemented. How ever, it is fun to discuss some ideas that we can wish to be eventually true. I had some questions about this implementation:

How would it work?

And last but not least:

3 minutes ago, AlmostNASA said:

Well try Kerbal Krash System and making cars from Beam.ng drive in KSP. Welcome to me

Then again, we have to consider the new audience: consoles.

1 hour ago, Veeltch said:

There's a mod for that lololololo

I don't like the cop-out answer of "use a mod" either...but in this case the existence of a working mod does actually answer all the OP's questions.

12 hours ago, Aperture Science Employee said:

"This mod should be easy to incorporate into other mods, e.g. TAC Life Support can access the damage percentage of command pods to drain oxygen."

How would it work?

"Kerbal Krash System rewrites collisions in Kerbal Space Program. KKS deforms your creations and reduces the efficiency of your crafts instead of just exploding on impact:

Damage occur on impacting anything (oceans, buildings, parts, kerbals, ground, ...) at speeds exceeding the part's original crash tolerance limits:

Crash tolerances are scaled by (configurable) factors, this allows parts to be damaged instead of exploding on exceeding the original crash tolerance.

Parts impacting at speeds above the scaled crash tolerance explode as normal."

Having used KKS personally I can attest to the fact that it doesn't affect performance much at all. (My rig isn't exactly top of the line either.)

And last but not least:

Yes, as evidenced by the existence of a working mod that does exactly that.

The point isn't "go use this mod instead of requesting a feature." so much as it is; "this feature should be totally doable since a mod has already basically done it."

On August 29, 2016 at 6:07 AM, Rocket In My Pocket said:

I don't like the cop-out answer of "use a mod" either...but in this case the existence of a working mod does actually answer all the OP's questions.

The point isn't "go use this mod instead of requesting a feature." so much as it is; "this feature should be totally doable since a mod has already basically done it."

I see. I feel as if it should be added, also I think parts should tear apart in re-entry. And when thing blow up in space, imagine if all those particles flew everywhere like in Gravity.

yeah dis ain't gonna happen

2 minutes ago, Samniss Arandeen said:

Not unless KSP's playerbase really, really wanted to cook scrambled eggs on their CPUs.

Why can't KSP look THAT good.

Other than wrecking computers and causing fires.

Edited by Aperture Science Employee

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.