My Xenobiology Project

Planetace

Hey forumers! Glad to see you click on this post (unless you finger slipped when trying to open "ksp memes megathread", dont blame ya!) For a while (well, for a few days) I have been doing a xenobiolgy project on a forum for speculative evolution and its well received. So I though to expand my audience :D The project is centered on a planet called Sudarium, its a gas drawf rocky planet with a thick atmosphere of nitrogen and helium (originally hydrogen and helium) and a large percentage of oxygen. The atmosphere and higher gravity push life to evolve into crazy and weird aliens totally different from ours (though some may have attributes that look similar to our plants and animals.)

Too give a taste of how alien the ecosystem is, one large group of bacteria is the slime`s, a group descendant of a prehistoric water colony of microscopic bacterium that evolved to dominate the land. The most dominant of the group is the creeping slime, a black unicellular plant that live in pools of its own species (and sometimes other slimes) covering the landscape with a average thickness of 1cm and a width of 10cm (largest one discovered is 56cm deep and 4m in width.)  You can read more here!:

http://s1.zetaboards.com/Conceptual_Evolution/topic/8000508/1/

Cool dude! I did something like this too! I made the Moon Rodinia, an Earth-sized moon orbiting a super gas gaint, so big, it actually lights up and is full of flames. I started of with a basis species wich i called Primium Specium (Primitive Species) And started building more creatures from that. Good luck!

I actually have another one called Kaanham, only has one creature now, the Kapunka: (But i forgot about for a few months, might make more)kapunka_by_tardigrade19-da3zsbp.jpg

Edited by NSEP

On 9/6/2016 at 6:05 PM, NSEP said:

Cool dude! I did something like this too! I made the Moon Rodinia, an Earth-sized moon orbiting a super gas gaint, so big, it actually lights up and is full of flames. I started of with a basis species wich i called Primium Specium (Primitive Species) And started building more creatures from that. Good luck!

I actually have another one called Kaanham, only has one creature now, the Kapunka: (But i forgot about for a few months, might make more)kapunka_by_tardigrade19-da3zsbp.jpg

Nice Creature, I remember the name Rodinia. I think i read it a few months back (cant remember how far back :P)

57 minutes ago, Galacticvoyager said:

Nice Creature, I remember the name Rodinia. I think i read it a few months back (cant remember how far back :P)

Rodinia was one of the continents of the early Earth. Is that what you read? And im looking forward to your project. These kind of projects can turn out to be amazing, like planet Snaiad and Darwin IV!

5 minutes ago, NSEP said:

Rodinia was one of the continents of the early Earth. Is that what you read? And im looking forward to your project. These kind of projects can turn out to be amazing, like planet Snaiad and Darwin IV!

Nope, pretty sure i heard rodinia being used as the name for a moon of a gas giant...

I've actually got something too. In fact, I drew it a couple of hours ago. Let's just say it puts Moby Dick to shame. (I apologize for my sub-par drawing skills)

My primary reasons for being scared of this thing is that it's 573 tons, 392 ft long,  and has about 750 teeth the size of a machete. (And it eats basically anything stupid enough to get in its way)3L2sWg3.jpg

Edited by TheSealBrigade

19 hours ago, TheSealBrigade said:

I've actually got something too. In fact, I drew it a couple of hours ago. Let's just say it puts Moby Dick to shame. (I apologize for my sub-par drawing skills)

My primary reasons for being scared of this thing is that it's 573 tons, 392 ft long,  and has about 750 teeth the size of a machete. (And it eats basically anything stupid enough to get in its way)3L2sWg3.jpg

Looks cool! Might be suitable for large ocean planets with a massive greenhouse effect going on...

4 hours ago, Galacticvoyager said:

Looks cool! Might be suitable for large ocean planets with a massive greenhouse effect going on...

That's exactly where it resides. 

(This is a reply from a forum page I made a while back)

Spoiler

Notogertasi (No-toe-jer-ta-see)

Mother-star - F class

Distance from star - 5.2 AU

Have you ever been in a warm bath tub? Not too hot, but just warm? Welcome to Notogertasi, a planet that's surface is 83% nice warm water. But it's not the tropical paradise it was cut out to be. Notogertasi's surface is veiled by clouds and hurricanes 98% of the time, with the temperature being 127 degrees Fahrenheit on a normal day. (the rain is around 90 degrees F). So it is not recommended you pack swim trunks, but instead a very sturdy raincoat (you also have to avoid dying of heat stroke). The storms blanketing the surface are usually very mild; a slight trickle at best. But, sometimes, the big bully comes around and casually uproots trees.

The plants on Notogertasi are unusual along with everything else that has to do with the planet (including me). Since there is very little sunlight leaking through the storms, photosynthesis does not exist. Instead, the cells are designed to use nutrients in the soil and the ever present water to produce energy. Since soil can run low or completely out of nutrients, this plant is basically a large bladder with stored "food" for it. Animals usually feed on the nutrient rich insides of these plants. Most plants have these bladders, even the trees.

and

Spoiler

The marshy, storm laden land masses that make up 17% of the surface are home to lots of odd creatures, but what about the other 83% of endless ocean? The water is about 90 degrees Fahrenheit at the surface, making it a little more warm than humans are used to. The ocean is deep as well, the average depth being 30,000 ft, or almost the average depth of Challenger Deep. The best part about this is that some parts are even deeper, reaching about 56,000 ft below sea level! This massive depth directly constitutes to massive depth pressure, which leads to an odd phenomenon; The water at these depths is so compressed, the water acts like ice while still being at a mild temperature. And yet, life still thrives in this briny deep...

The Olympus Whale is a massive sea creature that lives in the northern oceans of Notogertasi. Weighing in at 573 tons! at a length of 392 ft, the Olympus Whale is truly the king of the sea. Along with being an absolute behemoth, It also looks like It would come straight out of your worst nightmares. :) Think of a giant, deformed lamprey without(EDIT: IT DOES HAVE TEETH) teeth. It's oddly shaped body is laden with 16 fins, all aligned in 4x radial symmetry along it's 392 ft in length. 8 large 'tails' allow movement by spinning around like a propeller. (much slower than a mechanical one, mind you) You might be asking 'how does it sustain itself?' The simple answer is it swallows anything and everything in its path. Plankton, fish, submarines, It doesn't matter to the Olympus Whale, as long as it fits in it's mouth. It lives at an average depth of 25,000ft below sea level, but will ascend if food is becoming scarce. It uses sonar to communicate and navigate, and lives for about 109 years, becoming sexually mature at 4 years old. Just imagine how...no, no I'm stopping here.

The next creature is the main morsel to the Olympus Whale; Amorians. This lil' fishy is 9 ft long and weighs 150 lbs. It has 4 fins, all in the 4x symmetry most sea animals on Notogertasi have. Most of the mass is in the front; the tail makes up 60% of it's length. It's a scavenger, catching carcasses that happen to be floating down into the darkness below. They swim in huge masses, and can get up to 600 individuals in a shoal. They can be found all over the ocean, even on the surface if food is scarce. Before they reach sexual maturity at 2 years old, the Amorians go into a month long feeding frenzy, During this month, they can gain 90 pounds and eat 2 times their body weight a day (On occasional they will become so bloated they sink and die); sometimes going as far as attacking live prey and cannibalism. In some cases, this gets so intense that entire shoals will attack Olympus Whales and rip them apart alive. But why the violence? You see, in an Amorian's mind (the little that there is), the larger an individual is, the likeliness of getting a mate rises. The more colorful males, now bloated by all the feeding, search for "attractive" females to mate with and pass on the good genes.

Fresnel's Shark is the next creature on the list. It's about the size of a Blacktip Reef Shark and weighs about 80 pounds. Unlike most of the creatures on Notogertasi, the ones close to the surface have developed eyes along with sonar. Fresnel's Shark uses this to advantage to escape prey, in fact. It is very round, and actually looks akin to a mini Orca with black skin all over. Anyway, It's skin cells are bio-luminescent.  They have a shutter structure over the out side the to prevent the light from shining. When the individual feels it's in danger, these shutters open suddenly, releasing the light through a Fresnel Lens and releasing a flash of light. This blinds the attacker long enough for the Fresnel's Shark to escape...

There is also this:

Spoiler

My planet (Imlyanovor-Kai) is 1.5 AU away from a star very similar to our own; with a global temperature at around a nice -67 degrees Fahrenheit. A 100km band around the equator is the only habitable area on the planet, because the other parts are too cold to host complex life. About 12% of the surface is salty water, with bacteria that make it even harder to freeze.  The average temperature in the 'habitable zone' of the planet is 11 degrees Fahrenheit. With the basics aside, we can get to the fun part. Galgoria is an animal 6 ft tall from toes to the top of it's 'crest' (ill get to that), 15 ft long and weighs about 3 tons. The classification between reptile and mammal do not exist, as Galgoria lay eggs and have a body temperature independent from the environment. Galgoria are herbivores that graze in herds, like buffalo. This herd is 'led' more or less in a matriarchy, with a dominant female running the show. There is completion for matriarch, usually ending in death. Galgoria's tails are ended with a sharp bone structure that resembles a spear head. This weapon is used in the aforementioned competition and defense against predators. Galgoria are also quite plump, their fur covered bodies and stores of fat help keep them warm. The 'crest' I mentioned is a large curved plate of bone that curves in a quarter circle-ish manner from base of the neck to behind the shoulders of the front legs. These usually have swirling purple/red patterns for show and attracting mates. No two patterns are the same for each individual. I won't get into the reproductive cycle, because posting that on forums is not a good idea. (And frankly it's really weird and gross)

lzrgere.jpg

PS: I spelled it wrong in the picture :P 

Edited by TheSealBrigade
Stuff

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.