KSP Book

Piearesquare

Why not?  If you want have a shot at it give it a go, nothing to lose but your time doing it.   And if you enjoy doing it then the time's not 'lost' or wasted anyway.

If it gets published and grabs my interest I'll buy it, along with many others hopefully, and if it doesn't get published then at least you had a try, and you won't be wondering 'what if...'

6 hours ago, Piearesquare said:

Hello! I was wondering if it was a good idea to write a book about KSP. I really would like to hear your thoughts and suggestions about this. Thanks!

No. Bye!

Only if it's a pop-up book.  But seriously a book about KSP could mean anything I'd need to know more.  Depending on what it is there might be possible copyright issues.  I remember back when I was doing a writer's workshop there was talk about writing Star Trek stories, the upshot was that because of the cut Paramount would take and the hassle of getting authorized it was much better to create your own universe (ok that advice was from an actual Star Trek book writer so take it with a grain of salt, OTOH he would be in a good position to know these things).

54 minutes ago, kBob said:

Depending on what it is there might be possible copyright issues.  I remember back when I was doing a writer's workshop there was talk about writing Star Trek stories, the upshot was that because of the cut Paramount would take and the hassle of getting authorized it was much better to create your own universe

I don't think Squad would be that much of a pain. They are pretty open to "derivative works". They might request some licensing fee or a small cut of the profits though :)

@Piearesquare,  Just noticed that was your first post, welcome to the forums.

One other thought, from personal experience (not books)...   Lots of people may well say 'Yes that's really cool I'll buy one, when's it coming out?', but don't use that as a genuine guide as to how popular or successful it may be.  When it actually comes to parting with the cash it can be a lot different, and I don't mean that as a bad reflection on those commenting, but however sincere and genuine they may be, real life circumstances and priorities suddenly become more of a factor when you actually do have to decide whether to spend actual money buy something or not.

But please don't let this discourage you, as I said earlier, if you want to do it go for it and give it your best shot.  Just stay realistic in your expectations, if it's good enough, and appeals to enough people enough that they consider it a fair price to pay they will gladly do so (myself included).

Now you have got our attention, a little more detail on what you have in mind would be appreciated...

Good luck.

Interesting...

Hmmm... Anyone interested helping me publish a KSP book? 15$ each? Yeash, this English Degree is so helpful :D
So, topics?

*How to build rockets?

*How to fly/etc

*Mun/etc landings

*IDk

reply some ideas :D

Il give it 1 week before i check and start writing

:thumb:

What kind of book?

On the topic I've got two (technically 3 if you include my fan fic "Recover Vessel") stories I'm working on now. One is a probably story and concept for a new mode of KSP, and the other is a general book which would have ALL the training tips, building guides, astrophysical explanations and so on. It will basically be a general guide book for KSP and even possibly real life :) . Ah well, that's me at least.

I read this book a while back about a comic book writer, or illustrator I forget which.  It was a semi autobiography that had his conviction book expirence as a reader and as a professional which was intertwined with comic book history and I really liked that style.  

If you make a book in that sort of fashion of some personal expirence with maybe some psychology or something to do with it then I think it could be interesting.  

If you are talking about a Game Guide, they are obsolete with the next patch.  If you are talking about archives (as in Hyrule Historia) then there isn;'t much back story to work with.  If you are talking about fan fiction, I suppose you could come up with something.

Just be careful you don't do anything that breaks copyright law.

Edited by Alshain

6 minutes ago, Vanamonde said:

Squad has a copyright on the game and many things associated with it. What kind of book are you contemplating, and are you intending to profit from it? 

Guide book, and profit from the Kerbal franchise? No, but could I IndieGoGo me instead?

2 hours ago, Alshain said:

If you are talking about a Game Guide, they are obsolete with the next patch.  If you are talking about archives (as in Hyrule Historia) then there isn;'t much back story to work with.  If you are talking about fan fiction, I suppose you could come up with something.

Just be careful you don't do anything that breaks copyright law.

why would the game guide be obsolete next update? all that currently is in ksp is kerbal encyclopedia, which as far building goes, isn't that usefull.

23 minutes ago, nascarlaser1 said:

why would the game guide be obsolete next update? all that currently is in ksp is kerbal encyclopedia, which as far building goes, isn't that usefull.

We're referring to text on paper. My guide would be superior as it would have images like the one in the guides and with far more detailed explanations and even covering history as well.

As Vanamonde has said, you need permission from Squad - and you won't get it unless you are doing it for free.

As well as copyright on the game, etc. they have trademarks on various words and phrases so you can't even mention them, the game's name or use the word 'Kerbal' at all.  They also refuse permission to use any screenshots from the game - although you can create your own artwork "inspired by a game I'm not allowed to mention because it's owned by some people who I can't mention".

I know - after the success (>100,000 downloads) of my Exploring The System guide I wanted to publish the new version as an ebook.  Best way to do that was Amazon and you can't publish there free, so a nominal fee was going to be charged.  It took months and several emails to get Squad to even say 'no' to screenshots (I originally intended to have some explaining the settings, etc.).  They completely failed to ever come up with attribution text, or even to agree the boilerplate version I sent them ("Squad have asserted their right to be identified as the authors of Kerbal Space Program").  No notice was taken whatsoever of suggestions of them employing me to write an official manual or of me paying them a licence fee.  If you might make some money it's a no, end of story.

On the other hand; if it's free, they're usually pretty relaxed about things.  Just make sure you do check with them.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.