[1.12.x] Vapor Vent released

linuxgurugamer

4 hours ago, E.Nygma said:

Hi together and @linuxgurugamer,

haven't been around a while and saw that you took up so many good mods and gave them a new home -including this one. Thumbs up!

I also saw that this mod still needs a new model. I'm fairly new to Blender, but I'm currently trying to remedy this need soonTM  as a small token of gratitude for your work.
I have one question though: You mentioned emissives are needed for the code. Since I've never done emissives before, could you please tell me what's exactly needed?

Not exactly sure, it's  a Unity thing.  The vapor is created through an emissive,  or maybe it's a particle system.  Take a look at this: 

https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/PartSysWhatIs.html

Also, look at the existing model, it may help as well.

Thanks for whatever you can do

Just a general comment:   still love this mod.  The only thing it's good for is looking cool on the pad, and it does that very well.   :cool:   Thanks again for the upkeep.

RE the sort of oversized part that comes with the mod:  I simply clip it into the body of the rocket to hide it.  You get the "steam" that appears to be coming from somewhere indeterminate, just like the real thing.  (I try to position the emissive part at the top of a stage, rationalizing that that's where the LOX is most likely to be...)

I have noticed the occasional other-direction behavior, but have rationalized it as random up- or down-drafts (I haven't seen it blow completely backwards; I'll keep an eye out).

Hi again,

I have taken a look at the document you posted, that's pure gold. Thanks very much! I think I might be able to recreate the current effect.
And, regarding the issue with the backward smoke:
t seems to me that the original creator used a fixed particle system blowing from launchpad to sea, meaning that the current part is only used as a starting point for a cone of particles, so the orientation of the part should not matter?
Can someone test this with different part orientations? In my test install an octosat with mirrored vaporvents around confirmed this behavior. Importing the original model.mu into blender unfortunately destroys the actual effect.

Thanks again,

See you soon!

Edited by E.Nygma

5 hours ago, MaxwellsDemon said:

RE the sort of oversized part that comes with the mod:  I simply clip it into the body of the rocket to hide it.  You get the "steam" that appears to be coming from somewhere indeterminate, just like the real thing.

Hmm, I'll have to try this mod again doing it that way. Part was way too big to have it showing, just looked kind of wonky especially when placing a few of them, though the effect was nice when it was blowing in the right direction.

5 hours ago, E.Nygma said:

Hi again,

I have taken a look at the document you posted, that's pure gold. Thanks very much! I think I might be able to recreate the current effect.
And, regarding the issue with the backward smoke:
t seems to me that the original creator used a fixed particle system blowing from launchpad to sea, meaning that the current part is only used as a starting point for a cone of particles, so the orientation of the part should not matter?
Can someone test this with different part orientations? In my test install an octosat with mirrored vaporvents around confirmed this behavior. Importing the original model.mu into blender unfortunately destroys the actual effect.

Thanks again,

See you soon!

The vapor blows in the direction of the prevailing wind as suggested by the flag on the flagpole.

Randomness, including vapour blowing in the opposite direction for short erupts is a function of randomness injected by the particle system component. 

If you want a different behaviour or a different model, you may have to invest several hours in experimenting with the effect in Unity as I did. Simply copying the part won’t get you any results.

Edited by Dr_Goddard

Hi @Dr_Goddard  thanks for the tips and taking the time to help me out!

I had seen the settings and assumed it might work like this and that the animation follows a coneshaped vector. When I posted above I was aware of a few tutorials online, and have already started experimenting. 
ATM I do have enough time to try out everything till my personal perfectionism is satiesfied `;) .

So, additionaly I am happy to anounce thathe first model is done, currently working on the texture, then unwrapping, unity etc.

bye and god night everyone!

Hi again folks and @linuxgurugamer,

I'm happy to announce everything is in working order for KSP 1.3.1 and will be available shortly. Regarding 1.4: I might have to redo the complete particle work, it may take a while.

Best wishes!

Edited by E.Nygma

5 hours ago, E.Nygma said:

Hi again folks and @linuxgurugamer,

I'm happy to announce everything is in working order for KSP 1.3.1 and will be available shortly. Regarding 1.4: I might have to redo the complete particle work, it may take a while.

Best wishes!

If you would like to take back full control of the mod, that would be fine, just let me know.  

Well, I'd really like to work further on this -the problem is I can't code (last thing I touched was VB 6.0 ~15years ago). If we could find a solution to this I have a few ideas for the future...

Cheers

• 1 month later...

[LOG 22:57:23.918] tankMER1 added to ship - part count: 2
[ERR 22:57:59.297] Module makeSteam threw during OnStart: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
  at vaporvent.makeSteam.OnStart (StartState state) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at Part.ModulesOnStart () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

[LOG 22:58:02.192] vent added to ship - part count: 3
[ERR 22:58:04.201] Module makeSteam threw during OnStart: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
  at vaporvent.makeSteam.OnStart (StartState state) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

[LOG 22:58:10.523] tinyvent added to ship - part count: 4
[ERR 22:58:13.083] Module makeSteam threw during OnStart: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object

these happen whenever you add the parts in the vab. each one of those is from each of the 3 vents. 

after that they make steam like they are supposed to during pre launch and stop after launch. 

you get the same thing when you recover to the vab

so appears to only happen during part selection/installation. 

it also spams the log ALOT. looks like each button write an entry every 5 seconds during pre launch. maybe write one entry total unless something changes. each one of them logging since they arent serialized isnt really doing anything. 

7 hours ago, COL.R.Neville said:

it also spams the log ALOT. looks like each button write an entry every 5 seconds during pre launch. maybe write one entry total unless something changes. each one of them logging since they arent serialized isnt really doing anything

I also don't consider printing a line or two every 5 seconds "spam".  Spam is when there is so much of one thing you can't see anything else

However,i've fixed the exception and the spam, will release in a bit

5 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

I also don't consider printing a line or two every 5 seconds "spam".  Spam is when there is so much of one thing you can't see anything else

However,i've fixed the exception and the spam, will release in a bit

Dont feel like the lone ranger i dont think one every 5 seconds is alot either and i know it doesnt seem like much but there was 179 lines in two minutes something. There was a line for each vent installed thats where it went vertical. 

but thank you very much for fixing probably the greatest ksp mod ever. To me its the ultimate example of KISS keep it simple stupid.  Not the usual measure it with a micrometer, mark it with chalk and cut it with a chainsaw IT project techniques.

so anybody see the application form we can fill out for linux here. 

https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2017/07/11/536689074/pope-francis-announces-new-path-to-sainthood

On 4/22/2018 at 10:39 AM, linuxgurugamer said:

you added the vent to the launchclamps?  

In the VAB, yes.  Looks especially nice with the FASA towers in particular.

On 4/22/2018 at 9:54 AM, Jimbodiah said:

Can you share that here perhaps?

It's just adding the part to the clamp in the VAB.   I'm primarily thinking of the FASA towers, though; haven't tried it with the stock launch clamps-- maybe it wouldn't work.  Will have to try it out.