[1.12.x] Vapor Vent released

linuxgurugamer

On 9/9/2016 at 1:43 PM, Fobok said:

Yeah, this is way too late in the tech tree, at least with CTT-based trees. (I'm using Unmanned Before Manned.) It's far enough along that you have to have been visiting the moons (and maybe other planets, if you don't use as many science mods as I do) to get enough science to unlock it. 

Ummm, in the last release, it is available from the start.  If CTT is changing that, take it up with them

9 hours ago, Scottvdken said:

@Scottvdken

I don't see anything in the log related to VaporVent which is unusual. It appears you have 3 or 6 vents on the ship, is that correct?  and if so, are they all on the same stage or different stages?

If you could get me the craft file, I might get some more info.

On 26.12.2016 at 6:17 PM, Scottvdken said:

Hi, love this mod! However, after launch it seems the vapor trails glitch for me, they appear again above the top of the rocket. Are there any mods this is known to conflict with?

I have the same issue sometimes with one or more vents in one or more stages.

Edited by Cheesecake

51 minutes ago, Cheesecake said:

I have the same issue sometimes with one or more vents in one or more stages.

I have been able to reproduce this.

No idea what's going on, yet, may be something to do with the emitter and the way KSP is now dealing with it.  

What I saw was the trails which reappeared were not new emissions, just the ones which had been emitted on the launchpad, as they slowly dispersed

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Nope.

Although there seems to be a funny graphics bug in KSP now, in that the smoke trails follow the vessel (actually above the vessel) as it ascends

Yes I have this too. Till and after launch everything is OK. But at around 3000 Meters the trails appear again and disappear slowly.

I've seen white puffs falling from the sky here and there from day one (for me was spring 2014) without any mods.

I too have had the graphical anomaly you are referencing from the moment I started using vapor vent. Not unique, but now that I think about it, I don't think I've seen a puff since I started using VV. Related?

13 hours ago, OneEyedBob said:

I've seen white puffs falling from the sky here and there from day one (for me was spring 2014) without any mods.

I too have had the graphical anomaly you are referencing from the moment I started using vapor vent. Not unique, but now that I think about it, I don't think I've seen a puff since I started using VV. Related?

VV?

I do get them, starting at 2900m, but prior to using vapor vent I used to get little round ones, different than the vapor vent glitch. They seem to have stopped, so I'm wondering if they are related, perhaps a glitch the game engine itself, because there is a similar anomaly in the stock game also.

12 hours ago, Jebs_SY said:

I noticed that I have the glitches also. So if you have a idea what it is and need a tester... just gimme a sign. :)

It's most likely a bug in KSP.  The smoke comes from an emitter, and I don't do anything with the emitter other than turn it on and off

2 hours ago, sarbian said:

EffectBehaviour.AddParticleEmitter
EffectBehaviour.RemoveParticleEmitter

I'm not sure what you mean here.  This is the relevant code:

foreach(KSPParticleEmitter unit in emitter)
				{
					if (Vessel.Situations.PRELAUNCH == vessel.situation || Vessel.Situations.LANDED == vessel.situation) 
					{
						unit.emit = true;
						print ("vaporvent: true");
					} 
					else 
					{
						unit.emit = false;
						print ("vaporvent: false");
                    }

Should I replace the "unit.emit" with the function calls you mentioned?

And I just answered my question with the following comment you made in another thread:

You need to register your emitter with EffectBehaviour.AddParticleEmitter( emitter)  (and unregister when the part is destroyed so RemoveParticleEmitter in the module OnDestroy) to have the particle offset handled when FloatingOrigin starts.

Like this

Edited by linuxgurugamer

So.....random question? Can we make these work AFTER launch as a toggleable part? would like to make my habs release smoke on Eeloo. My kerbals like to leave their heaters on all day for some unknown reason. Apparently they cant handle -300 degrees F. What gives right? :confused:

In all seriousness, thank you for your hard work regardless. Your work is very professional and well done. 

• 6 months later...
On ‎1‎/‎15‎/‎2017 at 6:13 PM, OopsThatNotWork said:

So.....random question? Can we make these work AFTER launch as a toggleable part? would like to make my habs release smoke on Eeloo. My kerbals like to leave their heaters on all day for some unknown reason. Apparently they cant handle -300 degrees F. What gives right? :confused:

In all seriousness, thank you for your hard work regardless. Your work is very professional and well done. 

You can try this mod not to high jack the thread and maybe @linuxgurugamer  will just add it to this mod it needs a home 

19 hours ago, AmazinArts said:

Is there a way to change the direction of the smoke?

No, it's built into the emitter

On 1/15/2017 at 7:13 PM, OopsThatNotWork said:

Actually, yes, it's not too difficult.

When you say toggle-able, do you mean to manually put it on?

On 8/8/2017 at 3:38 PM, linuxgurugamer said:

Actually, yes, it's not too difficult.

When you say toggle-able, do you mean to manually put it on?

Yup, was just wondering if you can turn it on and off, even after launch. Just as you can toggle lights on and off, or u can toggle antennae open or closed.

Was just wondering if you can make it so this vapor vent part does the same thing. Have not tried mod yet, so Im sorry if this is already a thing  and wasting your time. :cool: