[1.12.x] Vapor Vent released

linuxgurugamer

I am happy to present the revival of the most essential mod ever. This was originally published by @Dr_Goddard as T-MEME, but the author has disappeared, and the mod wasn't updated for 1.1.3.

I would like to extend my apologies to @Dr_Goddard, apparently when I tried to contact him, the messages went missing.  He is still around.  I've been in contact with him, and he is fine with my continuing to support the mod.  Mistakes happen, it's nice when we can sort things out with a couple of emails.  I did offer to return control to him, he is fine with the status-quo.

Seriously though. How could we continue to play a space game that didn't depict the rocket with wispy vapor trails swirling all around before launch? That is all this part does, nothing more.

The vapour is configured to blow in the same direction as the flag in the main Space Centre launch pad area. As such, you should locate the part so the vapour does not pass through the spacecraft. No warranty expressed or implied.

Installation 1. Copy the files into GameData

Dxwtoi2.gif

License: MIT

Source: https://github.com/linuxgurugamer/VaporVent/

SpaceDock: http://spacedock.info/mod/931/VaporVent

Patreon.png

https://www.patreon.com/linuxgurugamer

Edited by linuxgurugamer

This looks great. Will install as soon as it's on CKAN (since I'm not likely to have time to play between now and then anyway). Between this, engine lighting, and realplume, rockets in KSP are really starting to feel more like rockets! :)

5 minutes ago, Fobok said:

This looks great. Will install as soon as it's on CKAN (since I'm not likely to have time to play between now and then anyway). Between this, engine lighting, and realplume, rockets in KSP are really starting to feel more like rockets! :)

CKAN soon, it's been submitted

@sarbian

Suggestion was made to fold this into smokescreen, any interest?

The mod is really tiny, about a dozen lines of code plus the graphics.

Let me know.  Someone has offered to update the steam/smoke, so I'm waiting for that, other than that, I'd be happy to let you fold this in.

5 hours ago, sarbian said:

Sure, gladly. Poke me again after 1.2 when I should have more free time :)

If I get some time, I'll add it to Smokescreen and create a PR for you.  Use it or not, no problem either way

Edited by linuxgurugamer

I would agree with this being early in the tech tree, like basic rocketry.  Also I can't wait to see better textures and maybe  have the vapour rise or fall (I want to say in videos I've seen the vapour falls due to being so cold, but I'll have to look again).

Yeah, this is way too late in the tech tree, at least with CTT-based trees. (I'm using Unmanned Before Manned.) It's far enough along that you have to have been visiting the moons (and maybe other planets, if you don't use as many science mods as I do) to get enough science to unlock it.