[1.12.x] Vapor Vent released

linuxgurugamer

15 hours ago, Vorg said:

would be nice if there was a way to make it an optional part of launch clamps in place of adding more parts to the count of the launch.

Definitely not going to happen, sorry.

Maybe turning it into something which automatically decouples at launch?  That might be possible, although I have no idea what the end result would be.

• 2 weeks later...
17 minutes ago, SchrottBot said:

Nice!

Glad it's working again, especially switchable. Thumbs up!

Would you mind @linuxgurugamer, to consider updating the OP eventually? The GitHub link's still to version 1.1.0 and the title stil states it's for [1.2].

Anyway, tnaks a million, I really missed the mist! =) 

Cheers

SchrottBot

Ill update the OP today

4 hours ago, Vorg said:

With being able to turn this on after launch, a new problem shows up. Try putting it on a craft and turning it on while in orbit. My guess is it is confused by orbital speed.

A picture or a better description would be nice, I don't have time to test every single "try this" post in the forums.

New release, 1.1.6:

• Added a check to see if the vessel speed is >10 m/s, if so, no emissions.  This includes being in Orbit
  • Added an alwaysOn flag which can be toggled in the editor.  If enabled, vapor will always be on at speeds <= 10 m/s
6 hours ago, Vorg said:

With being able to turn this on after launch, a new problem shows up. Try putting it on a craft and turning it on while in orbit. My guess is it is confused by orbital speed.

New release addresses the problem.  No way to have vapors in orbit at this time, so it's disabled for speeds >10m/s

I thought the mental picture of the effect orbit speed would have would explain it. Basicly you have to watch close and you see random puffs that are quickly gone. No plume, or smoke trail, just random flashes of puffs. But in space orbiting, the vapor should just kind of float away in what ever direction the vent faced because there is no air rushing over the craft to blow it away.

17 hours ago, Vorg said:

I thought the mental picture of the effect orbit speed would have would explain it. Basicly you have to watch close and you see random puffs that are quickly gone. No plume, or smoke trail, just random flashes of puffs. But in space orbiting, the vapor should just kind of float away in what ever direction the vent faced because there is no air rushing over the craft to blow it away.

Actually, in space in a vacuum, the gas would dissipate so quickly you wouldn't see it unless an entire tank was emptying out, aka Apollo 13

27 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Actually, in space in a vacuum, the gas would dissipate so quickly you wouldn't see it unless an entire tank was emptying out, aka Apollo 13

Hence the reason you dont really see an exhaust plume in rocket engines in space in real life, fumes hit edge of bell and immediately spread out in all directions. 

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Cool effect. Now I want to sit and look at my rocket and not launch it. Safer that way when I'm not behind the controls. Makes my Saturn 5 more bad ass than it already is. I love the effect but don't care much for the look of the vents themselves. Any way to make them much smaller and flatter but still put out the same vapor? Maybe more like a small grate instead of a smoke stack.

4 hours ago, MikeO89 said:

Cool effect. Now I want to sit and look at my rocket and not launch it. Safer that way when I'm not behind the controls. Makes my Saturn 5 more bad ass than it already is. I love the effect but don't care much for the look of the vents themselves. Any way to make them much smaller and flatter but still put out the same vapor? Maybe more like a small grate instead of a smoke stack.

If someone were to do the modeling, sure.

• 2 weeks later...

Just placing the vents as is. Got about 20 of them spread throughout the Saturn 5 and all point same to each other. Problem is when I go to launch pad, I never know what direction the vapor is going to go. When I go to the launch pad and the vapor is blowing out to sea (like the flag), it looks cool as hell but when the vapor is traveling in the opposite direction it looks plain weird, and when it blows straight up, it's like w t f.

Edited by MikeO89

On 24.8.2017 at 3:18 PM, linuxgurugamer said:

New release, 1.1.6:

• Added a check to see if the vessel speed is >10 m/s, if so, no emissions.  This includes being in Orbit

Idea: Could a check for g-forces be added too? Ten Then we'd have a shiny new contrail mod :rep:

Edit: typo

Edited by SkyKaptn

4 hours ago, SkyKaptn said:

Idea: Could a check for g-forces be added too? Ten Then we'd have a shiny new contrail mod :rep:

Edit: typo

Nope, at least, not the way it's coded.  It's all done with emmissives, which are part of the graphics structure.  I didn't write this, all I'm doing is maintaining it

14 hours ago, MikeO89 said:

Just placing the vents as is. Got about 20 of them spread throughout the Saturn 5 and all point same to each other. Problem is when I go to launch pad, I never know what direction the vapor is going to go. When I go to the launch pad and the vapor is blowing out to sea (like the flag), it looks cool as hell but when the vapor is traveling in the opposite direction it looks plain weird, and when it blows straight up, it's like w t f.

If nothing else, a picture would be amusing.

But might also show something

• 2 weeks later...

Hi together and @linuxgurugamer,

haven't been around a while and saw that you took up so many good mods and gave them a new home -including this one. Thumbs up!

I also saw that this mod still needs a new model. I'm fairly new to Blender, but I'm currently trying to remedy this need soonTM  as a small token of gratitude for your work.
I have one question though: You mentioned emissives are needed for the code. Since I've never done emissives before, could you please tell me what's exactly needed?
Thanks in advance for your time.

See you later folks!

Edited by E.Nygma