Devnote Tuesday: QA focus

SQUAD

9 hours ago, SQUAD said:

We’re very near the end of our QA testing period for update 1.2, and all developers have switched to polish and bugfixing tasks so that we can enter the next phase of testing soon™.

Engineers, start your hype train engines!

3 hours ago, Majorjim! said:

Can anyone confirm if using auto strut for any given part will still be enabled if opened by someone who downloads the craft?

They should be. I doubt you'd have to reset all the autostruts when you load a craft, and I seriously doubt SQUAD are adding another file. The Advanced Tweakables option is just to show the toggles; it doesn't change anything else.

4 hours ago, Red Iron Crown said:

That was mentioned in the devnote two weeks ago, they're using vector fonts now so they don't get blurry with UI scaling.

OH! THANK GOODNESS! Dunno how I missed that (maybe it just didn't click/register when I read it or it was explicitly stated to be a vector font; either way, doesn't matter). I can now look forward to no eyestrain as my eyes try to focus on blurry text. UI scaling wasn't my issue, it was anti-aliasing being overly zealous. (Though may it was partially UI scaling... Pretty sure I left it at default the few times I tried 1.1.x)

That and the landing gear issues are what prevents me from touching 1.1.x. I build air- and spaceplanes a lot (even if I don't to space that often), so I need functional wheel. And because the stock gear are pretty fugly and limiting (though I kinda miss the old small gear), I don't/can't play without Bahamuto's Adjustable Landing Gear. (I eagerly await his mod updates, assuming everything he needs to do so comes to fruition with 1.2.)

5 hours ago, Majorjim! said:

Can anyone confirm if using auto strut for any given part will still be enabled if opened by someone who downloads the craft?

Assuming I understand your question correctly...autostrut status is saved with the craft/vessel. So yes, when you turn it on for a given part and save it, it'll be on for that .craft or .sfs.

3 hours ago, Waxing_Kibbous said:

This is going to be an awesome release! Is this the "optimization push" release, or will that be the next one?

Not sure what you mean here...but there were optimizations done for 1.1, and there is more code cleanup / optimizations for 1.2.

1 hour ago, StahnAileron said:

UI scaling wasn't my issue, it was anti-aliasing being overly zealous.

Part of the problem was that Unity would scale the fonts based on resolutions and UI scale. Sometimes it even changes the specified font size when it's scaling the font. So it might be 16 point specified, but Unity may decide to use 14 point font and do some scaling. This is also the source of the issue where the currencies would show up as copyright and pound symbols, vice science and funds.

2 hours ago, StahnAileron said:

OH! THANK GOODNESS! Dunno how I missed that (maybe it just didn't click/register when I read it or it was explicitly stated to be a vector font; either way, doesn't matter). I can now look forward to no eyestrain as my eyes try to focus on blurry text. UI scaling wasn't my issue, it was anti-aliasing being overly zealous. (Though may it was partially UI scaling... Pretty sure I left it at default the few times I tried 1.1.x)

That and the landing gear issues are what prevents me from touching 1.1.x. I build air- and spaceplanes a lot (even if I don't to space that often), so I need functional wheel. And because the stock gear are pretty fugly and limiting (though I kinda miss the old small gear), I don't/can't play without Bahamuto's Adjustable Landing Gear. (I eagerly await his mod updates, assuming everything he needs to do so comes to fruition with 1.2.)

@StahnAileron sorry to mention but Bahamutod has left the ksp community so  @Papa_Joe has taken over most of bda  universe mods if you want a status update  here's the thread

12 hours ago, KasperVld said:

That's down to bad timing regarding when the devnotes are written :)

I think you guys are just waiting a bit longer to melt our faces off with the revealing of the majesty of Pork's parts.

... That came out wrong

Edited by Justicier

3 hours ago, Claw said:

Assuming I understand your question correctly...autostrut status is saved with the craft/vessel. So yes, when you turn it on for a given part and save it, it'll be on for that .craft or .sfs.

Will there be an easy way to turn them all off or at least highlight parts with auto-strut turned on or will you have to go through every single part and find the invisible struts?

23 minutes ago, Alshain said:

Will there be an easy way to turn them all off or at least highlight parts with auto-strut turned on or will you have to go through every single part and find the invisible struts?

+1 for autostrut visualisation. Should be togglable in the Engineer's Report.

47 minutes ago, Alshain said:

Will there be an easy way to turn them all off or at least highlight parts with auto-strut turned on

No fast way to select "All OFF" but there is currently a debug visualization tool.

9 minutes ago, Claw said:

No fast way to select "All OFF" but there is currently a debug visualization tool.

Does it have to be debug?  Can it have a UI button or shortcut key?

I'm just trying to solve a problem before it happens :D

7 hours ago, Claw said:

Part of the problem was that Unity would scale the fonts based on resolutions and UI scale. Sometimes it even changes the specified font size when it's scaling the font. So it might be 16 point specified, but Unity may decide to use 14 point font and do some scaling. This is also the source of the issue where the currencies would show up as copyright and pound symbols, vice science and funds.

That would explain a lot. No matter what I did, I couldn't get the fonts in 1.1.x to look as clear (well, maybe not "clear", but certainly "readable") as 1.0.x short of disabling AA completely. Doing that just made every part of the game a visual headache due to the jaggedness, though.

7 hours ago, Nerfclasher said:

@StahnAileron sorry to mention but Bahamutod has left the ksp community so  @Papa_Joe has taken over most of bda  universe mods if you want a status update  here's the thread

Aw, crap. I love his mods. Even if I didn't have a real use for BDA, ALG was a godsend. His parts pack was useful as well. (The XJ-44 Vektor was wondrous, if heavy as hell.) Looks like only BDA was picked up for maintenance. I hope his other mods find new homes as well. (Or he comes back later.) Kinda wish ALG was stock, but it requires a custom plugin to work. And considering the changes to land gear in 1.1.x+, it would need a rewrite/overhaul. I don't foresee SQUAD integrating it. (ALG was perhaps the best "adjustable" anything available for KSP in terms of mechanics and functionality. It was pretty seamless in the latest version.)

11 hours ago, basic.syntax said:

Fuel Flow - displaying a sequence number on top of each line, might help in tracing which source is farthest away in the chain. If two or more lines were set up to drain simultaneously, they would share the same sequence number.

+1 to this.

If I see a good thing and my only reaction is to immediately demand more, does that make me a bad person?

Because, those lines are good, but numbers would be better, and I already know that I want to be able and reorder that numbers myself.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.