[1.1.3] Yet another EM drive

Sharpy

My first mod, an EM drive.

jtW0GyU.png

No external dependencies, no-frills thingy that is more of a curiosity than a game-changer, due to 0.1kN of thrust (vs Dawn's 2.0), higher EC consumption, serious heat production, and a bit higher mass and price. But primarily, the thrust. Maybe, just maybe you could use it on Gilly to keep yourself pushed to the surface?

Download here.

The infamous EM drive.

• 100 Newtons of thrust (1000x what the real thing has!)
  • Heavy electric energy usage
  • Running rather hot
  • 300kg
  • Infinite delta-V

The drive uses no fuel, just electricity, but the EM radiation does wear its structure over time, ejecting atoms of its shell into space. This is represented by 1 unit of solid propellant - which should last it a good few years; if you treat the lost mass as reaction mass, the drive has Specific Impulse of 10 million seconds. Also, the drive is entirely unaffected by atmospheric pressure

The model is a "brass&copper" recolor of stock Ion drive, and it's available in the same research node.

Is this based on recently released research material at emdrive.com ? I was just reading the article and thought how cool it would be to have this on KSP :) In theory if superconductor is used maybe it should not get hot?

Test rig: 100kg (the final prototype could be less than half that).
Microwave power: 334W
Thrust: 96mN

Edited by andriusst
Added test rig specs

3 hours ago, andriusst said:

Is this based on recently released research material at emdrive.com ? I was just reading the article and thought how cool it would be to have this on KSP :) In theory if superconductor is used maybe it should not get hot?

Test rig: 100kg (the final prototype could be less than half that).
Microwave power: 334W
Thrust: 96mN

If it was based on any recent research, or following the real thing it would be totally, absolutely useless in KSP.

14.25EM/s energy input, no clue how that converts to watts, but calculated so that one gigantor can run one engine in LKO, along with its cooling and a probe core. If 1EM/s is 1KW as some sources suggest, then 42 times more.

100N thrust, so 1000 times stronger and still sleep-inducing.

300kg, like the first test rig.

KER says heating is 900KW, but I don't think 300kg of metal would survive nearly a megawatt of heat for more than a couple seconds, while this thing can run at full power for minutes at a time before it begins overheating. I'd say the 14KW of heating power is a reasonable estimate.

And superconductors or not, if it takes 334W of power on input, and outputs 0.096N per second, the loss to kinetic energy is minimal - the rest of the energy must get somewhere. Some will be radiated out as microwaves, but the rest will convert to heat.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.