55 minutes ago, Robotengineer said:

ERAU?

Embry Riddle Aeronautical University

1 hour ago, ZooNamedGames said:

I'm looking into potentially joining ERAU, granted expensive as all get out.

Yeah, but I have to say, you'll get a lot of stuff for that tuition. Or at least that's what they say; I'm just a freshman 

Just now, dafidge9898 said:

Embry Riddle Aeronautical University

Yeah, but I have to say, you'll get a lot of stuff for that tuition. Or at least that's what they say; I'm just a freshman 

I don't know- I just want to be a pilot (if I pass the physical which if I don't... Well simply put a lot of bad things) so a lot of local schools are giving similar offers are lessor prices. So eh. 

Im still finishing my senior high school year so it's likely too early to make any bets.

16 hours ago, ZooNamedGames said:

I don't know- I just want to be a pilot (if I pass the physical which if I don't... Well simply put a lot of bad things) so a lot of local schools are giving similar offers are lessor prices. So eh. 

Im still finishing my senior high school year so it's likely too early to make any bets.

You will most likely pass the physical, assuming you're talking about the civilian one, not the military one. If you have decent grades in HS you should get some sort of scholarship. I believe 60-70% of the students here have some sort of financial aid/scholarship. It will be even more likely for you to get one if you apply early like I did. 

I got my 1st class medical. It's basically just "Can you see these letters? Can you hear me? Are you dying? Here's your 1st class medical"

Just now, dafidge9898 said:

You will most likely pass the physical, assuming you're talking about the civilian one, not the military one. If you have decent grades in HS you should get some sort of scholarship. I believe 60-70% of the students here have some sort of financial aid/scholarship. It will be even more likely for you to get one if you apply early like I did. 

I got my 1st class medical. It's basically just "Can you see these letters? Can you hear me? Are you dying? Here's your 1st class medical"

Grades? Yeah likely no. 

Thats good to know. A bit of hope for me. My biggest concern is color blindness which every day I'm reminded of.

18 minutes ago, James Kerman said:

@ZooNamedGames - Pilots who are colour blind contributed greatly to WW2.

There are also many colour blind pilots' associations in the US, the UK and Australia.

Well this isn't WWII where the US is under pressure with a draft.

Ah well. I either do or don't. Nothing I can do about my genetics.

2 hours ago, ZooNamedGames said:

Well this isn't WWII where the US is under pressure with a draft.

Ah well. I either do or don't. Nothing I can do about my genetics.

If you're talking about joining the military as a pilot, then I'm sorry but your color blindness will prevent you from achieving that goal. As for civilian flying, you still should be able to fly. Hell, there are deaf pilots (they have to fly in areas where there are no radios required, of course) and pilots that are half blind! (https://www.aopa.org/go-fly/medical-resources/health-conditions/vision/monocular-vision). Your color blindness should not prevent you from becoming a civilian pilot and flying for fun, and by all means, you should pursue that dream, be it with ERAU or without it. I started taking lessons from an explorers group and have about 36 hours and 95 T/O and Landings. As for genetics, I know what it feels like for genes to prevent you from achieving flying goals. 

But back to the topic. This has been quite the digression. 

Edited by dafidge9898
Grammar

18 minutes ago, dafidge9898 said:

If you're talking about joining the military as a pilot, then I'm sorry but your color blindness will prevent you from achieving that goal. As for civilian flying, you still should be able to fly. Hell, there are deaf pilots (they have to fly in areas where there are no radios required, of course) and pilots that are half blind! (https://www.aopa.org/go-fly/medical-resources/health-conditions/vision/monocular-vision). Your color blindness should not prevent you from becoming a civilian pilot and flying for fun, and by all means, you should pursue that dream, be it with ERAU or without it. I started taking lessons from an explorers group and have about 36 hours and 95 T/O and Landings. As for genetics, I know what it feels like for genes to prevent you from achieving flying goals. 

But back to the topic. This has been quite the digression. 

I want to be an airline pilot so civilian, but still.

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/2/2016 at 0:25 AM, ZooNamedGames said:

I want to be an airline pilot so civilian, but still.

You'll need to find someplace that offers an ATP program, which is probably going to be a college or specialty school like Flight Safety.  You'll need 1500 hours, which is going to cost a pretty penny.  The benefit of going to an aviation college is that if they're a Part 141 school and offer a restricted ATP program, you can get your license in 1250 instead of 1500 hours.  Also, you can use financial aid and grants, which most Part 61 mom-n-pop flights schools at the airport can't do for you.

But back to the OP question, I went to ERAU back in the 90's.  Lived in McKay hall.  I went back 2 years ago and was shocked at how much the campus has grown since I was there, but also at how much some parts of it haven't changed a bit (like McKay hall).  When I was there, there were really only 4 functional majors - Aeronautical Engineering, Aeronautical science, aviation studies, and wrench turning.  There really wasn't an ATC program yet, or any of the other programs that attract the populations you have now, so we affectionately called Riddle the "Mid-Florida Sausage Festival".  YMMV.  Also, the Denny's on the other side of Clyde Morris used to be called "Wags", and I practically lived in that place.  Ah, memories.

19 minutes ago, MaxPeck said:

You'll need to find someplace that offers an ATP program, which is probably going to be a college or specialty school like Flight Safety.  You'll need 1500 hours, which is going to cost a pretty penny.  The benefit of going to an aviation college is that if they're a Part 141 school and offer a restricted ATP program, you can get your license in 1250 instead of 1500 hours.  Also, you can use financial aid and grants, which most Part 61 mom-n-pop flights schools at the airport can't do for you.

But back to the OP question, I went to ERAU back in the 90's.  Lived in McKay hall.  I went back 2 years ago and was shocked at how much the campus has grown since I was there, but also at how much some parts of it haven't changed a bit (like McKay hall).  When I was there, there were really only 4 functional majors - Aeronautical Engineering, Aeronautical science, aviation studies, and wrench turning.  There really wasn't an ATC program yet, or any of the other programs that attract the populations you have now, so we affectionately called Riddle the "Mid-Florida Sausage Festival".  YMMV.  Also, the Denny's on the other side of Clyde Morris used to be called "Wags", and I practically lived in that place.  Ah, memories.

Found a college that offers being in a cockpit within 3 years and at 1000 hours actually. Not to mention for cheaper. 

But first I have to get there and despite making 95% of the climb this last little hill is proving impossible.

7 minutes ago, MaxPeck said:

I can honestly say I know nothing about them. Looks like their ATP program just got approved in August. Still, for the 1000 hour restricted ATP, you have to complete an aviation-related bachelors degree approved by the FAA. You can read more here... https://www.faa.gov/pilots/training/atp/

Good luck!

Yeah, the degree was aviation management or something or other, but yes they did mention to get the 1000 hour I would need a degree, yes.

I think they're program is like 2 years old at most yeah, so your not far off.

• 3 months later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.