[1.2] Galileo's Planet Pack (development thread) [v0.9]

Galileo

29 minutes ago, OhioBob said:

I'd still prefer to see some of those numbers rounded off (as per our private message), but other than that I like the way it looks.

I'm not sure what to put in there for the "low orbit <> planet" value for the gas giants.  Obviously we can't land, so it doesn't really make much sense to compute an ascent Δv.

Oops! I didn't catch that part about rounding or I'd have done it. I'll make that adjustment soon. For deorbiting into a gas planet I was quite neutral and would leave it blank, figuring the only people who'll want to do that are out for some serious science (therefore they have expendable vessels) or they're going to aerobrake. Don't go computing anything for this...with serious intentions anyway. :P

3 hours ago, JadeOfMaar said:

Rounded the numbers up. v0.55

e50aMKA.png

Looking good. I've seen but not used this type of DV map before.  What are the black numbers above some of the lines,  return DV? Also I think you missed rounding one on Hox aand Eta I think :wink: 

17 hours ago, kraden said:

What are the black numbers above some of the lines,  return DV?

As JadeofMaar explained, the black numbers above the line are the maximum plane change.  The numbers on the line represents the Δv for a simple Hohmann transfer with zero plane change.  In practice you could never achieve this unless the launch window had absolutely ideal conditions.  The plane change value is the Δv it would take to perform a mid-course plane change when 90-degrees from intercept (see image below).  The maximum plane change angle is equal to the planet's inclination.

fig5-05.gif

17 hours ago, JadeOfMaar said:

The 2 for Eta is on purpose, I think.

Yes, it is.  Thalia has a really small sphere-of-influence, and Eta is barely inside it.  By the time we insert into an elliptical orbit with an apoapsis inside the SOI, we're practically already in an orbit that will intercept Eta.  It just takes a very tiny tweak to lower the apoapsis to intercept Eta.

Edited by OhioBob

I got screenshots of Otho's moons and prepped their dossiers. Didn't put too much heart into them as the template has to change a bit for all. But all 26 now exist inside PSDs...

Lol Eta's trying to escape from Thalia. I don't blame the tiny one. Who wouldn't want to get away from that red planet? @OhioBob you're as much a villain as Galileo.

58 minutes ago, JadeOfMaar said:

Lol Eta's trying to escape from Thalia. I don't blame the tiny one. Who wouldn't want to get away from that red planet? @OhioBob you're as much a villain as Galileo.

When I first set Eta's orbital parameters, I unwittingly placed it in an elliptical orbit that sometimes took it outside Thalia's SOI.  Although Eta orbited Thalia OK, whenever the moon moved outside the SOI, any spacecraft in orbit around it would just drift away and go into a solar orbit.  To fix the problem I had to decrease Eta's size and move it closer to Thalia.

Trying out a rebuild of [the] ultimate hypersonic, the NOX Crown. :P Hello again, volcano-- oh yea. I gotta do some evaluation at Augustus. He's chanting "Come at me!" with his Duna gravity and Kerbin-rated atmosphere.

This plane, though, is promising that it can afford the plane change for Iota, land there and return but I doubt it can make Ceti and back.

71unjr6.jpg

There was an epic failure in the testing with this craft but not posting that here. xD

ng2EjQN.jpg

JTUnCU4.jpg

Edited by JadeOfMaar

Oh, not this again. :rolleyes: Seems to happen when I'm moving at a certain minimum velocity. Physics lag with new side effects?

tXit0SC.jpg

On the upside... Augustus. Awwwwwwe-freaking-gustus. :D My plane is alive!

cIibMr9.jpg

Edited by JadeOfMaar

1 minute ago, Ohm Machre said:

So, on topic, I went to Iota last night, and it dropped me to single-digit FPS with a craft that got me 60 FPS around Gael. It only got that low surface side. Is this a known thing?

Hmmm I'll have to check that it's probably caused by the PQS being too high.   I'm going to be releasing the 1.0 later this week barring any set backs so if it drops frames that bad it will definitely need to be adjusted 

Just now, Ohm Machre said:

Okay. Later on, I'll go out to Ceta and see if that does things as well. Initially I thought it was MemGraph causing it with... whatever, but disabling the window did naught.

I'll look at it tomorrow and make any corrections I need to make.  Thanks for bringing it up.  I don't receive feedback very often so it's hard to find bugs when nobody tells me lol

3 hours ago, Galileo said:

I don't receive feedback very often so it's hard to find bugs when nobody tells me lol

Oops. I should've tagged you when I posted that picture of my spaceplane sinking into Iota.

I've met with that performance problem with both moons, actually @Ohm Machre but thought Galileo was hiding something there like dust storms...like on Gratian (or rather, Minmus fog).

Edited by JadeOfMaar