[1.2] Galileo's Planet Pack (development thread) [v0.9]

Galileo

Good stuff. Catullus will be intresting. You think scaterer could make surface allmost completely dark? Tellumo will be something, I wonder if it would be possible to add a exeption in Kerbalism that would allow Kerbal to stay on it forever. I wish there was more colonisable planets trough. Gameplay wise it make sense. I visited Moho, Heloo, Dres and the moons of Jool that have 4 letters or less maybe twice each since I play KSP.

If you plan on having multiple planets suitable for colonisation. Gas giant don't have to be far from the sun. Most of the one we discovered so far are pretty close in fact. Our planet layout may not be that typical btw. So why not having colonisables moons of a gas giant that is within ther Goldilocks zone? They could all have their specific disadvantage. Tellumo could be the only candidate that is not orbiting the giant, like somewhere at the outer limit of Goldilocks zone. Say volcanism permanently warm it to perfect condition without ruining the atmosphere, because reason and science.

23 minutes ago, OhioBob said:

Otho peaking over the horizon of Augustus.

Otho_from_Augustus.jpg

That looks spectacular 

Oh Oh i got some too!

rePUFJ9.pngrUiLW7R.png

Note: this is pre atmosphere and orbit changes

Edited by Galileo

On 9/9/2016 at 8:51 PM, Shadriss said:

On another front - Gal, if you have any other planets you want me to work biomes on, I'll be more than happy to continue contributing... it really was far simpler than I expected.

I'll have some more for you tomorrow :)

The biomes are the only thing I'm waiting on really.  Every time I want to start on one,  I have to fix a seam in a Texture or something like that.  Thank goodness for @Poodmund doing a ton of biome maps. If it was up to me there would be like 1 of them done.  I have time tomorrow though to start on some.  I think I fixed all the textures. Finished adding scatterer,  planet shine,  and distant object cfgs.  Now it's biomes and clouds.  Then @JadeOfMaar can go to town on science defs! Yay, JadeOfMaar! 

I still have to finish the Gael biome map. It's very nearly done (maybe 85%) due to my meticulousness, hands full, and I had to take time to (among more important things at their times) flesh out an awesome idea that came and I knew would stand on its own feet out of the SPH. I thought the thread was idle the entire time but the first thing I see is @OhioBob's wall of awesome about atmospheres, and I see all the meat and potatoes I'll be adding to the CRP configs later on for the curated resources. :)

About atmospheres, this then came to me:

• "Anemoi Planet Pack;" Anemoi (Greek: Ἄνεμοι, "Winds") , with reference to the bounty of aero-friendly bodies.
  • "Circios," Greek god of the north-northwest wind, sounds like Circo? the current name of the Sun--have the Sun secretly be named wind god (Or is that already the theme?)

I came up with one heavy question... Deserts. There are patches of yellowish land on Gael's texture. I've defaulted to midlands for it because they're not what I expect deserts to look like from space and otherwise that'd be quite a lot of desert for a homeworld.

Loving the screenshots, and the mental image of Tellumo and Cautullus with huge atmospheres! Even though I can't build anything that's both fashionable and able to escape Eve's atmosphere...

Edited by JadeOfMaar
finished it and made its config

Caesar

Augustus (Octavian)

Tiberius

Caligula

Claudius

Nero

Galba

Otho

Vitellius

Vespasian

Titus

Domitian

Some other period names:

Mark Antony, Brutus, Agrippa, Livia, Nerva, Suetonius

On ‎9‎/‎6‎/‎2016 at 3:23 PM, Galileo said:

ALSO I NEED A NAME FOR THIS SOLAR SYSTEM! As much as I like including my name in the pack, I really want to include the community in the creation of this mod as much as possible. So i need as many suggestions as you guys can come up with. After however long I will pick the best 3-5 and create a poll. 

We've got the SOLAR SYSTEM.  How catchy is the CAESAR SYSTEM?  I also kinda like the AURELIAN SYSTEM.

15 hours ago, Galileo said:

I'll have some more for you tomorrow :)

Not a problem. Depending on how complex the topography is, probably doable at about one every two or three hours. Depends on my own work schedule of course, but it's fairly steady atm, and expected to stay that way for this week.

Regarding the name of the system... the name of the Star is the name of the system in every convention I've been able to find. Thus, if the name of the sun is Circo, so is the name of the system. Aureilian would make the suns name Aurelia, and Minorcan (my original suggestion) would make the sun Minorca.

Edited by Shadriss

11 minutes ago, Shadriss said:

Not a problem. Depending on how complex the topography is, probably doable at about one every two or three hours. Depends on my own work schedule of course, but it's fairly steady atm, and expected to stay that way for this week.

I should have every body from Gauss out to Leto finished by tomorrow. Then its just a case of wrapping them up for the inner planets/moons.

This is what I have worked through so far: http://imgur.com/a/5bnbO

Edited by Poodmund

Sped up quite a bit of course :)

10 minutes ago, Shadriss said:

Regarding the name of the system... the name of the Star is the name of the system in every convention I've been able to find. Thus, if the name of the sun is Circo, so is the name of the system. Aureilian would make the suns name Aurelia, and Minorcan (my original suggestion) would make the sun Minorca.

Well we figured out the Sun cannot be renamed in order for scatterer to work so the suns name is still Sun. so now, I feel, the system is free to be named whatever lol

Edited by Galileo

2 minutes ago, Fobok said:

Very cool, and interesting.  If it wasn't for that one plateau, it'd look like a gas giant. 

well somebody that frequents this thread once requested a gas giant to land on :wink:

OhioBob noted that with the gigantic size of Catullus it could have been an old gas giant. 

I made sure to use a cloud texture that allowed for parts of the land to peak through. Im pretty happy with the result

Edited by Galileo

40 minutes ago, Galileo said:

I made sure to use a cloud texture that allowed for parts of the land to peak through. Im pretty happy with the result

That begs a question. Can a planet be made that has areas which are so hostile as to destroy any ship that dares land in that biome?

6 hours ago, Poodmund said:

I should have every body from Gauss out to Leto finished by tomorrow. Then its just a case of wrapping them up for the inner planets/moons.

Leto was the one he handed me, so I'll be curious to see how yours compares to what I came up with. Not turning this into a contest or anything - just curious. :) Either way, best product for the users, and that's the important thing.

5 hours ago, Probus said:

That begs a question. Can a planet be made that has areas which are so hostile as to destroy any ship that dares land in that biome?

I dont think you can set up a biome like that BUT you can make super hot water that will explode your ship with kopernicus and if you make that body of water a biome, then yes you can make a biome that will destroy your ship

Edited by Galileo

10 hours ago, Galileo said:

I dont think you can set up a biome like that BUT you can make super hot water that will explode your ship with kopernicus and if you make that body of water a biome, then yes you can make a biome that will destroy your ship

So much for "Collect Surface Sample in BOILING HOT WATER ZONE OMBBQ!!!111!!! on Leto".

28 minutes ago, OhioBob said:

And Tarsiss' shadow transits Catullus.

from_Tarsiss02.jpg

That shadow's kinda hard. I hope it's an easy fix. :)

On 9/12/2016 at 5:00 PM, Poodmund said:

Can you arrange a curated table or tables of those biomes and link me? Even just one planet will do.

23 hours ago, Shadriss said:

So much for "Collect Surface Sample in BOILING HOT WATER ZONE OMBBQ!!!111!!! on Leto".

Could you make a zone where your lander only had a couple minutes (seconds) to do science before it overheated and exploded?  Kinda like Venus. 

Thats not possible. Like I said earlier,  you can't  make a biome hazardous by itself unless it's water. But even then ALL water would be hazardous not just that biome.  Having an individual piece of land cause damage to you lander just can't happen.  You will just have to use your imagination :)