[1.2] Galileo's Planet Pack (development thread) [v0.9]

Galileo

Also, just finished up Argo. That means all bodies from Gauss outwards have now been done biome wise. 12/26 done... just 14 requiring confirmation to go.

Also, @OhioBob, it would be nice if you could also request to view the Biome sheet above and give a look through the biomes to make sure the names correlate to the geography for specific bodies i.e. Glaciers on ice worlds etc.

EDIT: And again, a sneak peak at the areas you will be visiting: http://imgur.com/a/5bnbO (Biome locations not disclosed :P )

Edited by Poodmund

26 minutes ago, Poodmund said:

Also, @OhioBob, it would be nice if you could also request to view the Biome sheet above and give a look through the biomes to make sure the names correlate to the geography for specific bodies i.e. Glaciers on ice worlds etc.

Yes, I can do that.

First, however, I'm working on some stock settings (i.e. non-scatterer) to get the skies and atmospheres looking good.  Galileo has done all the scatterer settings has and everything looking great, but if scatterer is not installed, the skies all default back to Kerbin-blue.  I'm trying to fix that so that if somebody doesn't want to use scatterer, they can still get some decent, if not great, alien-looking skies.

I hope everyone made a backup of 1.1.3,  especially if you want clouds in this mod.  EVE is no longer working in 1.2 from what I have been reading so therefore SVE will no longer work.  So I plan on playing in 1.1.3 until Rbray returns. I honestly can't play this game without visual packs. I might have to designate this mod for 1.1.3 until he returns 

Edited by Galileo

Does that mean you won't be publishing a 1.2 version of the planet pack?

Also, hopefully someone comes along to fork and continue EVE. I don't mind playing without it, as I only recently started using it, but it's still very nice.

Edited by Fobok

5 minutes ago, Fobok said:

Does that mean you won't be publishing a 1.2 version?

Also, hopefully someone comes along to fork and continue EVE. I don't mind playing without it, as I only recently started using it, but it's still very nice.

I will once the mods it depends on are updated. Maybe not until 1.2 moves from experimentals though just to be safe. Kopernicus is the big one we have to wait on. Hopefully nothing will have to change in the cfgs. I just started my vacation and will be gone for a week so hopefully some of the mods get updated in that time. 

As for some one forking it,  I don't know if rbrays license allows it.  I haven't checked though.  

Edited by Galileo

48 minutes ago, Shadriss said:

How much of this is going to be EVE reliant, if any? WIth SVT dead in the water until EVE is updated for the upcoming 1.2, I'm hoping this one doesn't rely on it.

It won't rely on it at all. It was always intended to be an optional part of this mod.  It's still sucks though,  the clouds gave this mod that extra bit of awesomeness :) there is no doubt in my mind that EVE will be updated  either officially or forked but it will be updated.  There will be a another person with shader knowledge that can't live without clouds I'm sure

Edited by Galileo

Could one of the gas giants have a ring system with co-orbital moonlets? Jupter has something like this with Metis and Adrastea, and Saturn has it with Prometheus and Pan (I think). In RSS it does not really work because the moons do not have a sphere of influence - they are likely held together partially by material adhesion/tensile strength (they are small enough). With the KSP density dynamics these moons may be able to sustain orbits and be landed on with awesome views of the Gas giant system. 

On 9/16/2016 at 7:50 PM, MaxL_1023 said:

Could one of the gas giants have a ring system with co-orbital moonlets? Jupter has something like this with Metis and Adrastea, and Saturn has it with Prometheus and Pan (I think). In RSS it does not really work because the moons do not have a sphere of influence - they are likely held together partially by material adhesion/tensile strength (they are small enough). With the KSP density dynamics these moons may be able to sustain orbits and be landed on with awesome views of the Gas giant system. 

Not sure of the background workings, but could this not be done as asteroids if they have a given proper  veloctiy/vectors? They wouldn't need an SOI to be a 'moon' in that kind of case, and we know landing on asteroids is doable in the game.

I thought asteroids were procedurally spawned?

My idea would be for two moonlets somewhat smaller than minmus (think Aptur from New Horizons or maybe an overgrown Gilly) on slightly offset orbits with the same period. They would closely pass each other (just outside of SOI overlap) once per orbit, simulating the placement switches which occur due to mutual gravity. 

1 hour ago, Shadriss said:

Glad to have you back Gal... though with 1.2 hovering over us, I forsee a brief (hopefully) stop on this pending changes in Kopernicus.

Yes but I intend to keep working on it in 1.1.3,  that way it's ready to go when 1.2 is all set up

@OhioBob once said something to me directly, about expecting, and dealing with absurd atmospheric behavior if a planet has a poorly written atmosphere. In this livestream I believe that is what happened. This Youtuber, HotTips!, approached a giant planet Titanus with about 170km high, super-dense atmosphere and between 1:20:00 and 1:27:00 he descended into it. Titanus is part of KillAshley's New Horizons planet pack.

At roughly 1:24:00 he was still really high up (about 19km and the altimeter slider was still in the middle-blue, not the light blue) but had slowed to nearly 20m/s from physics alone and eventually started descending really fast again. :P

Also there are no words to describe what @Galileo did there.

Edited by JadeOfMaar

At roughly 1:24:00 he was still really high up (about 19km and the altimeter slider was still in the middle-blue, not the light blue) but had slowed to nearly 20m/s from physics alone and eventually started descending really fast again. :P

There is definitely something messed up there.  I would have liked to have seen that descent with the Aero GUI screen open to see what was happening.  It could be something as simple as a typo in the pressure curve.