[1.2] Galileo's Planet Pack (development thread) [v0.9]

Galileo

2 hours ago, eddiew said:

Also, not sure if it's something with just my install, but I can't click on anything outside of Tellumo in the map view... I have to shift-tab and go backwards from Icarus to get to them.

Hmm I'll have a look at this when I get home tomorrow evening. I haven't had this issue.  Now,  the moon around Tellumo I have set to not be selectable but I'm sure that's just in the tracking station. 

6 minutes ago, Galileo said:

Hmm I'll have a look at this when I get home tomorrow evening. I haven't had this issue.  Now,  the moon around Tellumo I have set to not be selectable but I'm sure that's just in the tracking station. 

Didn't know there was a moon around Tellumo ^^;

And I did mean the tracking station, rather than vessel -> map view, apologies if that was confusing.

13 minutes ago, eddiew said:

Didn't know there was a moon around Tellumo ^^;

Shhhhhhhhhhh no one is supposed to know

Oh well the only body that shouldn't be selectable is that little moon :)  

@JadeOfMaar have you experienced this in 1.2.1? 

Edited by Galileo

@Galileo @eddiew I found the problem. The key binding has changed.

Return to vessel in Map mode is now bound to ` the "backquote" key above the Tab key. (I never knew of that name). I'm seeing no other problems yet... I haven't been to the SPH yet.......

That person's post I read somewhere was right. I turned on aero overlay and KSP (1.2.1) crashed seconds afterward. :(

Edited by JadeOfMaar

1 hour ago, JadeOfMaar said:

@Galileo @eddiew I found the problem. The key binding has changed.

Return to vessel in Map mode is now bound to ` the "backquote" key above the Tab key. (I never knew of that name). I'm seeing no other problems yet... I haven't been to the SPH yet.......

That person's post I read somewhere was right. I turned on aero overlay and KSP (1.2.1) crashed seconds afterward. :(

So there is a bug with aero overlays? 

6 minutes ago, JadeOfMaar said:

Yes it is. I first found mention of it in an SSTOs thread, but I found a support thread now.

Oh that sucks just means there is going to be another update and things will need to be updated again. . . .  Ugh

So now that Galactic Neighbourhood is updated, how would one go about getting that going?

Edit: Sorry if this has been mentioned before but does this have any KSPedia entries?

Edited by Benji13

On a pleasant note now. I might put up the next set of pictures real soon (Only moons remaining now).

Should I stick with the traditional perspective (right) or deviate and use (left) for Catullus? Just because this is a mean moon I'm considering it.

MyjYPQ4.jpg

My sentiments exactly @kraden

Newly published images: Argo, Eta, Geminus. Laid down a little writing for: Iota, Ceti, Argo.

1 hour ago, Benji13 said:

Edit: Sorry if this has been mentioned before but does this have any KSPedia entries?

@Benji13 You'll find something like that here

Edited by JadeOfMaar

38 minutes ago, JadeOfMaar said:

My sentiments exactly @kraden

Newly published images: Argo, Eta, Geminus. Laid down a little writing for: Iota, Ceti, Argo.

@Benji13 You'll find something like that here

So are those images in the KSPedia or is that an alternative? Either way, very nicely done. Looks very good. 

@JadeOfMaar, I've looked at your planet dossiers and they look beautiful.  However, there is something wrong in the way you computed the masses.  One quick way to compute the mass of a body is,

m = g * r2 / 360123

where m = mass in Kerbin masses, g = surface gravity in g, and r = planet radius in km.

For example, the mass of Tellumo is,

m = 1.9 * 10002 / 360123 = 5.276 Kerbin masses.

Edited by OhioBob

@OhioBob Hmm... How I built my formula is (assuming at the time Kerbin and Gael were equal mass) Take Gael's mass as in KSP 1.1, store it and call it Kerbin Masses, then not so simply divide the masses (given in spreadsheet) of the other planets by it. I'm a little shocked that it didn't occur to me that the reference value changed with KSP 1.2.

Edited by JadeOfMaar

With that big a mistake I may as well add to the template itself-- Should I start including science multipliers and altitude thresholds in the place of one or both of the little "action shots" some of them have?

Edited by JadeOfMaar

9 hours ago, JadeOfMaar said:
  Hide contents

Wrote something for Tellumo and made reference to eddiew. :wink: Wouldn't have happened without him.

Lol, well, happy to inspire :) 

In other news, I tried putting Rald in a Munar altitude orbit around Gael as you suggested, and this happens to KSC...

pPh0M8U.jpg

Spoilered; I'm a n00b. Resolved the problem in the next post.

Spoiler

It's something to do with the Scatterer config. When I comment Rald out, everything is fine (although obviously Rald won't be Scatterered). I'm mystified... Don't know if you chaps have seen anything like it during GPP development?

Item
		{
			celestialBodyName = Gael
			transformName = Gael
			loadDistance = 100000000
			unloadDistance = 200000000
			hasOcean = True
			eclipseCasters
			{
				Item = Ceti
				Item = Iota
				Item = Rald
			}
			planetshineSources
			{
				Item
				{
					bodyName = Iota
					color = 1,1,1
					intensity = 0.0799999982
					isSun = False
				}
				Item
				{
					bodyName = Ceti
					color = 1,1,1
					intensity = 0.0499999982
					isSun = False
				}
				Item
				{
					bodyName = Rald
					color = 1,1,1
					intensity = 0.12
					isSun = False
				}
			}
		}
		//Item
		//{
		//	celestialBodyName = Rald
		//	transformName = Rald
		//	loadDistance = 100000000
		//	unloadDistance = 200000000
		//	hasOcean = True
		//}

Edited by eddiew

...I had a moment of inspiration:

Munar/Rald orbit semi major axis = 12,000,000m

Rald's scatterer load distance = 100,000,000m

...I do not think KSC likes having two overlapping Scatterer ranges. Took a zero off Rald's load/unload distances, now it's much happier. Some play testing may be needed to see whether vessels at Rald have visibility problems due to Gael's large range overlapping it, or whether the unload range being over SMA is going to result in returning vessels getting black effects at Gael - but at least I know where to look now :) 

12 hours ago, JadeOfMaar said:

@OhioBob Hmm... How I built my formula is (assuming at the time Kerbin and Gael were equal mass) Take Gael's mass as in KSP 1.1, store it and call it Kerbin Masses, then not so simply divide the masses (given in spreadsheet) of the other planets by it. I'm a little shocked that it didn't occur to me that the reference value changed with KSP 1.2.

Doing what you describe should have worked, but clearly there is an error in there somewhere.  Your dossier shows Tellumo's mass as 1.435, but it should be over 5.  I didn't check all the bodies, but the ones that I did were all wrong as well.  You better check your formula, or perhaps something got corrupted in my spreadsheet.

By the way, if you measure it in Gael masses rather than Kerbin masses, the formula I gave you earlier becomes,

m = g * r2 / 360000

The denominator is simply g*r2 for the body in whose masses you are measuring the other bodies.  As you know, in KSP 1.2.1 they changed Kerbin's mass a little so it is no longer exactly 1 g.  So we have,

for Gael, 1 * 6002 = 360000

for Kerbin, 1.00034160493135 * 6002 = 360123

11 hours ago, JadeOfMaar said:

With that big a mistake I may as well add to the template itself-- Should I start including science multipliers and altitude thresholds in the place of one or both of the little "action shots" some of them have?

I'll leave the decision about including science multiplier and altitude thresholds to you and Galileo.  I think that is information that some people might find useful, but I also like the actions shots.

Do you know where to find that data in the .cfg files?

Edited by OhioBob