[1.2] Galileo's Planet Pack (development thread) [v0.9]

Galileo

3 minutes ago, Galileo said:

Niven, The 3rd planet from Ciro

So we get a bonus planet, cool!

The way I now count it, we have:

Icarus > Thalia > Niven > Gael > Tellumo > Gratian > Otho > Gauss > Nero > ? > ?

Sound right?

Just now, OhioBob said:

So we get a bonus planet, cool!

The way I now count it, we have:

Icarus > Thalia > Niven > Gael > Tellumo > Gratian > Otho > Gauss > Nero > ? > ?

Sound right?

Yes, there will be 2 small planets outside Nero

26 minutes ago, TheEpicSquared said:

Ooh rings would look really nice. Would rings around Gael be realistic and/or feasible? It would look epic though 

Yes please. :)

36 minutes ago, OhioBob said:

@Galileo, it just occurred to me that I haven't seen any rings.  Are you planning to have a ring system around any of your gas giants?

Something else I haven't seen much of is ice caps.  We don't yet know what the surface conditions of these planets will be, but if it's determined that they would likely have ice caps, is that something that can be added?

You just gave me a fabulous idea for a second planet. That aside, I'm hoping one of these giants has multiple or inclined rings. If feasible, a moon could sit in the gap? It'll likely be a small one, having lasted long but still bound to lose the fight against its parent's tides.

Edited by JadeOfMaar

I had a bit of discussion in that page and the page after showing a quick way to generate biome maps based on altitude using a greyscale heightmap. Once the heightmap biome map has been made, then you can go in and add some additional areas worthy of note. Its quick and clean but you can get good results for a base to work from.

1 hour ago, Galileo said:

If you wanna know something crazy, ill be done with the planets by tonight. then its up to @OhioBob

All i have left is moons.

It will take me at least a few days to do my part, so don't expect an quick turn around.  If I were just throwing together an atmospheric model based on somebody else's given parameters, it would go pretty quick.  But deciding what I want to do here will require some study and contemplation.  Plus if we change anything, I have to redo the atmosphere (they are dependent on the physical characteristics of the planet).

51 minutes ago, Galileo said:

Well i got a bit ahead of my self and just realized biome maps still need to be done.... booooooooo and i hate making them

You can give me the cfgs without the biomes, right?  I'd like to get started with my part without having to wait on the biomes.

Just now, OhioBob said:

It will take me at least a few days to do my part, so don't expect an quick turn around.  If I were just throwing together an atmospheric model based on somebody else's given parameters, it would go pretty quick.  But deciding what I want to do here will require some study and contemplation.  Plus if we change anything, I have to redo the atmosphere (they are dependent on the physical characteristics of the planet).

You can give me the cfgs without the biomes, right?  I'd like to get started with my part without having to wait on the biomes.

no need to rush. and yes i can give you the cfgs without the biomes being completed

1 hour ago, Poodmund said:

I had a bit of discussion in that page and the page after showing a quick way to generate biome maps based on altitude using a greyscale heightmap. Once the heightmap biome map has been made, then you can go in and add some additional areas worthy of note. Its quick and clean but you can get good results for a base to work from.

That's a far better answer than what I managed to come up with.

Catullus is intriguing. Are those white spots sporadic frozen regions? And is this one of the planets behind Nero?

Just now, JadeOfMaar said:

That's a far better answer than what I managed to come up with.

Catullus is intriguing. Are those white spots sporadic frozen regions? And is this one of the planets behind Nero?

its a large moon of Gauss :) the white spots can be whatever you want :)

Edited by Galileo

He hasn't answered that question... not even once. I think he made a vague reference to demonic intervention and the blood of the innocent, but that may have been Jeb's Pre-Launch routine he was talking about as well.

Lovin' the looks, Gal - this should be interesting when finished. Any chance of custom experiment reports for the new biomes, or do you plan to recycle the canned ones?

I am now handing the work over to @OhioBob

I still have some little things texture wise to fix like seams but the majority of it is done.

while OhioBob works on the sciencey stuff, i will be trying to get scatterer and SVE configs ready. ill also try to throw some rings in there. 

1 hour ago, Galileo said:

Minona

lvd6ltT.png

I now think Minona is the belle of the ball. That topology may be the most attracting I've seen for the vacuum worlds yet.

34 minutes ago, Shadriss said:

He hasn't answered that question... not even once. I think he made a vague reference to demonic intervention and the blood of the innocent, but that may have been Jeb's Pre-Launch routine he was talking about as well.

Lovin' the looks, Gal - this should be interesting when finished. Any chance of custom experiment reports for the new biomes, or do you plan to recycle the canned ones?

Lol. You may be on to something. :wink: But in seriousness I'm betting Galileo's method is a trade secret or ...a jutsu we can't hope to fathom.

As for custom experiment results, I've expressed my interest in a post on this thread:

Just now, JadeOfMaar said:

I now think Minona is the belle of the ball. That topology may be the most attracting I've seen for the vacuum worlds yet.

Lol. You may be on to something. :wink: But in seriousness I'm betting Galileo's method is a trade secret or ...a jutsu we can't hope to fathom.

As for custom experiment results, I've expressed my interest in a post on this thread:

Id love for you to do some sciencedefs for this pack!

i am going to have a hell of a time getting everything compatible that would be one less thing to worry about. I think i need to work on the biomes first

16 hours ago, _Augustus_ said:

Dude, how do you make these textures?

Kinda wondering that too :P Hes told me vaguely how he does it but nothing in detail :P  

Edited by sDaZe

2 hours ago, OhioBob said:

He's using reversed engineered alien technology.

He might be. But just how did he get his hands on it? That is what we don't know. *plays illuminati song*