Fuel transfer between batteries

Haven't played the game in a year or so, and I came back to not being able to transfer electric power from one battery pack onto another.

This combined with the always present time warp bug makes it very hard to fionish those early contracts.

So, did they remove it?

1 hour ago, FullMetalMachinist said:

I assume that you are playing career mode. If that's the case, you need to upgrade your R&D facility to level 2 to be able to transfer resources.

^  This.  This is your answer, right here.

1 hour ago, Palaceviking said:

Have you checked "enable crossfeed" on docking ports and decouplers?

1 hour ago, Magzimum said:

check that you have crossfeed enabled.

^ No.  This is irrelevant, for a couple of reasons:

• "Enable crossfeed" only applies to resource-draining parts that use up stuff during normal operations.  It does not apply to the player manually transferring a resource between two containers.  For example, you can always manually transfer fuel between two fuel tanks, regardless of where they are relative to each other on the vessel, and regardless of what your crossfeed settings are.
  • Crossfeed never applies to electricity, anyway.  As long as you have an enabled battery that has charge in it, its electricity is always available to all electricity-consuming parts anywhere in the vessel, regardless of crossfeed settings.

The problem here is simply that @jebodiah1976 is in career mode and hasn't upgraded the science facility yet, as FullMetalMachinist points out.

6 hours ago, FullMetalMachinist said:

Since you mention "early contracts", I assume that you are playing career mode. If that's the case, you need to upgrade your R&D facility to level 2 to be able to transfer resources. 

Also, which time warp bug are you talking about? 

Thank you that's all that was needed, sadly I can't open it since I don't have the funds yet to buy it

As for the time warp, it's a bug that's been there for a while when you don't have any power generators whatsoever (which is the status when you start from scratch, you just run for as long as she goes with the battery on the initial capsule). If you time warp say to make a mun flyby , your batterys are gone just by being online, so what I do at least to work around these early stages, is turn off the capsule electric resource, and let it fly around with it off. When I drop out of warp I enable it back in. If I dont' do this, by the time you drop out of tiem warp the batteries are depleted.

I appreciate the replies but really the bug has been there since the alpha, I don't understand why is it the first time you hear about this.

27 minutes ago, jebodiah1976 said:

If you time warp say to make a mun flyby , your batterys are gone just by being online

Well, it's not a bug, because even though your ship is on rails, the probe core (I'm assuming an unmanned probe) is going to use electric charge. 

29 minutes ago, jebodiah1976 said:

so what I do at least to work around these early stages, is turn off the capsule electric resource, and let it fly around with it off. When I drop out of warp I enable it back in.

This used to work, but was seen as a bit of an exploit. So the devs "fixed" it so that if a probe core has no charge at all, then you can't do anything, not even enable a locked battery. So again, not a bug, but definitely something that you have to be aware of. 

13 hours ago, FullMetalMachinist said:

This used to work, but was seen as a bit of an exploit. So the devs "fixed" it so that if a probe core has no charge at all, then you can't do anything, not even enable a locked battery. So again, not a bug, but definitely something that you have to be aware of. 

I appreciate you trying to help, but it still works as I described, since I just did it before asking about that. And yeah you can't do anything with the batteries off, but you can indeed turn them on. You must have had some sort of addon for this behaviour to happen like that. I'm talking about stock here.

I'm pointing it out just in case someone googles this problem and doesn't get misled.

Edited by jebodiah1976

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/9/2016 at 4:10 PM, Red Iron Crown said:

@jebodiah1976 Which KSP version are you using? As far as I know backup batteries for probes stopped working in 1.1, you can't turn the battery back on without an active probe core or command pod.

The latest (1.1.3.1289) , and yes it does as it always has. I'm sure there's no need I have to capture a video of me doing it to prove it. Prove this yourself ingame in stock if you are curious.

Edited by jebodiah1976

19 hours ago, jebodiah1976 said:

The latest (1.1.3.1289) , and yes it does as it always has. I'm sure there's no need I have to capture a video of me doing it to prove it. Prove this yourself ingame in stock if you are curious.

Just tested this on bone stock 1.1.3.1289 with a probe core (RC-L01) and single battery pack (Z-100), once the probe's internal battery is dead I can't turn on the reserve battery that was previously disabled. Nor does it work if I disable the probe core battery and drain the other battery first, I then can't reenable the core's battery. I'm sure there's no need to capture a video of me doing it to prove it.

Curious that we get different results. Are you using any mods that might affect this? Can you link a craft that behaves the way you describe?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.