Any interest in a part blocker, to manually exclude parts

linuxgurugamer

Update:  Mod released: 

Like a lot of you, I have a lot of mods installed, and the sheer number of parts is overwhelming (over 1300 at last count).  I do have Filter Extensions, and it helps.  There are some suggestions I'm going to send the author later, but what I'm thinking of is a way to simply block parts from being displayed.

A first thought would be to allow a mod-click (alt-click in Windows) on a part in the parts list, and have a menu which would:

• Block part from displaying at all
  • Block part from displaying in VAB
  • Block part from displaying in SPH

And there would be a toolbar button which would have a dialog where:

• Unblock all blocked parts, temporarily or permanently
  • Unblock all VAB blocked parts, temporarily or permanently
  • Unblock all SPH blocked parts, temporarily or permanently
  • Show list of blocked parts
    • Button to temporarily unblock part
    • Button to permanently unblock part
  • Import block list from file
  • Generate AutoPruner script of all fully-blocked parts

The temporary unblock would probably be for a specified time period, not sure

I would eventually add a way to show blocked parts for a specific category (pods, Fuel Tanks, etc), and with that would have the ability to unblock all parts in specific category.

Block list would probably be stored in a file in the save directory

Would there be any interest in this?

Edited by linuxgurugamer

Absolutely!

Also, would it be possible to somehow have the option to export a list of all the blocked parts to a .csv, that contains just part "name", part "title", and maybe folder path?

This would allow for "blocking" parts you actually want to delete altogether, later, manually... :D

12 minutes ago, Stone Blue said:

Absolutely!

Also, would it be possible to somehow have the option to export a list of all the blocked parts to a .csv, that contains just part "name", part "title", and maybe folder path?

This would allow for "blocking" parts you actually want to delete altogether, later, manually... :D

The blocked parts will be stored in a file, not sure how yet.  

37 minutes ago, Papa_Joe said:

It may also be nice if it "migrated" most used parts to the top of the list.  Maybe it can have a means to automatically block based on usage as an option.   Kind of like in windows where unused icons are hidden.

How would you determine which parts are "most used"?

And, I'm not going to be changing the sort order, I'm only intending to block a part from showing

When a part is added or removed from a vessel in the editor, you could capture it via an event handler.  It would require persisting that data, incrementing a counter. 

Then you could use the usage data sort within each category...

But, that is all moot if you feel it is beyond scope.  Maybe this another mod idea... hmm :)

Edited by Papa_Joe

28 minutes ago, Papa_Joe said:

When a part is added or removed from a vessel in the editor, you could capture it via an event handler.  It would require persisting that data, incrementing a counter. 

But, that is all moot if you feel it is beyond scope.  Maybe this another mod idea... hmm :)

Kind of feels like Filter Extensions would be better for this

but it is a good idea

Edited by linuxgurugamer

A useful feature would be "Exclude Part From Loading" - as in, once you exclude a part, the game doesn't even try to load it upon launch. I don't know if that's possible, but it would be handy to be able to cherry-pick mod parts without having to manually delete their files. Of course, to restore a part you'd have to un-exclude it & restart the game.

2 minutes ago, Bombaatu said:

A useful feature would be "Exclude Part From Loading" - as in, once you exclude a part, the game doesn't even try to load it upon launch. I don't know if that's possible, but it would be handy to be able to cherry-pick mod parts without having to manually delete their files. Of course, to restore a part you'd have to un-exclude it & restart the game.

That is not doable, for a number of reasons.  Among them is how do you decide what not to load.  Textures can be shared between parts, and if you delete (or not load) the wrong texture, things look wierd.

However, I might add a way to generate an AutoPruner script, which would do it in a different manner.

2 minutes ago, Malah said:

An AutoPruner support with a UI directly in the game, without the need to start an other software before the launch of KSP ... is AWESOME IMO :wink:

Autopsies is an external app, which would need to be run manually.  Due to squad rules, I can't call it directly.

3 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Autopsies is an external app, which would need to be run manually.  Due to squad rules, I can't call it directly.

Sorry, I don't know what is Autopsies, but if it is a AutoPruner like, you don't need it, you can prune something without the start of an external app, I've done it for something I don't need perhaps not the best way, but it works.

4 hours ago, Papa_Joe said:

Would be a better idea to do that on flight scene launch than either the clone event or the attach event in the editor, or you'll have results skewed by people placing items & thinking better of it later. That is again probably Filter Extensions related, but somewhat tangentially I guess.

I still want alphabetical sort with group by gamedata directory back :(

18 minutes ago, Malah said:

Sorry, I don't know what is Autopsies, but if it is a AutoPruner like, you don't need it, you can prune something without the start of an external app, I've done it for something I don't need perhaps not the best way, but it works.

OMG Malah!... Why have i NOT seen this before?!?... I have to manually check EVERY mod I install, to delete the MiniAVC files... Then I scrub the whole /GameData folder, just to make sure I got them all... Becomes a PIA after a dozen or more mods...

5 hours ago, Van Disaster said:

Would be a better idea to do that on flight scene launch than either the clone event or the attach event in the editor, or you'll have results skewed by people placing items & thinking better of it later. That is again probably Filter Extensions related, but somewhat tangentially I guess.

I still want alphabetical sort with group by gamedata directory back :(

The question posed was how would you do it.  I agree that some thought would need to be put into the actual implementation.  However, conceptually, this is how it could be applied.  Alternatively, parts could be captured at vessel save.  That my be a slightly more accurate means.  But, this is probably best taken to the Filter Extensions thread.  I'll pose the suggestion there and see if there is interest.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.