[1.8.x] Monthly Budgets 5.0.1 (22/12/2019) - UP FOR ADOPTION

severedsolo

The way I'm using this mod is as the major source of funding, but I left the contract rewards on for small bonuses in funds. I turned my funds rewards down to 0.25x normal, science to 0.5x, and increased the reputation rewards to 1.5x. I originally went with 2.5x rep, but that seemed to be far too OP for the early game.

It's working great so far, and I love how it works with with BARIS and KCT. This is the first time I've been able to get a heavily-nodded career off the ground in years, and I just wanted to thank you for all your hard work on this mod, @severedsolo!

Any chance I could persuade you to move the settings to a button in the Space Center scene or similar?

I'm intrigued to try this out on my next career save, but KSP's difficulty settings menu for new games is borked: it doesn't resize the scrollable list properly. I've got about 21 mods that add difficulty settings to that menu, and the "Cancel" and "Accept" buttons are barely visible at the bottom of the screen. If I add any more mods with settings here, the buttons disappear offscreen completely, meaning I'm stuck on that screen with no way to accept the settings or go backwards.

Obviously, this is my problem, not yours, so feel free to say no.

56 minutes ago, UnanimousCoward said:

Any chance I could persuade you to move the settings to a button in the Space Center scene or similar?

Don't see why not. I'm making some changes for difficulty settings anyway to accomodate another feature request from Starwaster so I'll do that at the same time.

1 hour ago, severedsolo said:

Don't see why not. I'm making some changes for difficulty settings anyway to accomodate another feature request from Starwaster so I'll do that at the same time.

You sir, are a gent.

Now, could I be considerably more cheeky and request that you do the same for any other of your mods that use that menu, as and when you next update them? It'd make me (and perhaps other mod addicts) a very happy chap.

All your mods make me think "Me like. Me want."

On 9/6/2017 at 10:31 AM, razark said:

Obviously not.  severedsolo gets the funds back after canceling the project.

Sounds kind of shady, doesn't it? I mean, is the project actually being sold on the black market or something? Do Kerbals HAVE a black market???

Edit: Oops, I went back kind of far....

Edited by Starwaster

Monthly Budgets 4.0 Released

• Hard Mode will no longer be allowed to send your reputation below 0.
  • Settings class rejigged - no longer in the Difficulty Settings, it will now present a popup when a new game is started (and can also be accessed through the new "settings" button on the GUI. Existing games will need to change their settings again.
  • Default settings for a new game can now be set by editing MonthlyBudgetDefaults.cfg
  • Added MM Patch that will convert progression (world firsts and records) and Survey Parameter rewards to reputation. If you are not using the contract interceptor/don't want this then just delete ContractInterceptor.cfg (massive thanks to @Starwaster for this - would have never found the options or thought to dig into the cfg without your patch)
  • Contract Interceptor will now intercept failure funds

Major version number change. This is because the settings menu won't remember your previous settings

Edited by severedsolo

4 hours ago, theonegalen said:

Is the new version safe to install in an ongoing career save? I have money in my Big Project Fund that I'm saving for a rainy day. Or at least an eclipse in the HSS I'm playing.

Should be safe to install, you'll just need to re-input your settings. If you aren't using the Contract Interceptor you probably want to delete the ContractInterceptor.cfg from the folder too.

Edit: DO NOT USE HARD MODE AT THIS POINT IN TIME. Apparently I broke something. I'm off to work now, but when I get back I will fix it.

Edited by severedsolo

Monthly Budgets 4.1 Released

• Fixed Hard Mode going nuclear on your budget.
  • Added ability to divert some/all of your budget to R&D (turns some of the funds you would have been given to science) (be warned the exchange rate is awful)

Edited by severedsolo

7 hours ago, severedsolo said:

Thats the one. Sorry, not very clear. I'll update the changelog.

I don't see this option in game. Is it supposed to show up in the monthly budgets settings?

EDIT: Hardmode is also still nuking my REP

Edited by Errol

4 hours ago, Errol said:

I don't see this option in game. Is it supposed to show up in the monthly budgets settings?

EDIT: Hardmode is also still nuking my REP

Oh poo. I shipped the wrong DLL. I did it just before I turned in for the night, because I wanted to ship due to the rep bug. Sorry about that. Let's try that again:

Monthly Budgets 4.1.0.1 Released

• All the features of 4.1 but this time, actually working!

Also: some proper documentation for the convert to R&D option:

A new option has been added to the GUI just above the "big project funding" option. By default it's set to 0. When turned on, at budget time a percentage of your budget will be converted to science at a rate of 10,000 funds to 1 science.

Once the conversion happens, your rep will be reduced by the amount you spent on R&D (it's deliberately not sustainable because the taxpayers will not just give you free science without you going out and doing things. If you plan to keep the R&D budget going you will need to get out there and keep your rep up).

@severedsolo

So, remember awhile back I mentioned having to put in an odd number to get a month? (I think I said half that, like 15 days because it was doubling the set interval of 30 days)

Turns out there were a combination of factors at work. First being that I use a scaled up system (Kerbol x10) where Kerbin is supposed to have a 24 hour day. Second factor is that I thought my KSP time settings were for 24 hour days but it was actually still on 6 hour Kerbin days. (so days were being reported at 4x). Third factor was that Kerbin's rotational period was NOT 24 hours (because I switched to Sigma and some 10x scale config) it was actually 12 hours. (so the day length was half of what I was expecting)

Net result was that my budget was reported as arriving at twice the expected interval when in reality it was arriving every 15 Earth days....

And now I no longer know how to tell time...

P.S. Is your head hurting yet? I know mine is...

Edited by Starwaster

4 hours ago, Starwaster said:

P.S. Is your head hurting yet? I know mine is...

Hehe, I read an email with your post (without the edit) and my first thought was quite literally "wow my head hurts."

I haven't had my coffee yet, so please be kind and break it down for me: do I have a problem I need to fix? :P

14 hours ago, severedsolo said:

Hehe, I read an email with your post (without the edit) and my first thought was quite literally "wow my head hurts."

I haven't had my coffee yet, so please be kind and break it down for me: do I have a problem I need to fix? :P

No, nothing :) 

PSA:

14 hours ago, UomoCapra said:

We are excited for the 1.4 release and look forward to the launch of the Making History Expansion next week. For our mod creators, please note an additional update 1.4.1 will come alongside that release and will need to be integrated as well.

None of my mods will be updated for 1.4, I will wait for the 1.4.1 release next week. At this point of time I don't know if any of them work and no support will be offered to users running 1.4.

Thank you for the great mod.

I would like to request a modification for the late game.

Since your reputation is capped at 1000 you budget is also capped, removing the incentive to gain extra reputation for extra budget after you hit the cap.

Would it be possible to add functionality where if you reach for example 850 reputation it drops the reputation down to 800 but increases the amount per reputation by 5%?

Since the reputation gains decrease exponentially it makes you work harder for a small increase in budget.

Currently I am simulating this behavior by reducing my reputation with the "Bailout grant" and manually changing the budget multiplier value, but it would be nice to have this functionality as default.

12 hours ago, Raknark said:

Thank you for the great mod.

I would like to request a modification for the late game.

Since your reputation is capped at 1000 you budget is also capped, removing the incentive to gain extra reputation for extra budget after you hit the cap.

Would it be possible to add functionality where if you reach for example 850 reputation it drops the reputation down to 800 but increases the amount per reputation by 5%?

Since the reputation gains decrease exponentially it makes you work harder for a small increase in budget.

Currently I am simulating this behavior by reducing my reputation with the "Bailout grant" and manually changing the budget multiplier value, but it would be nice to have this functionality as default.

Isn't this exactly what the Reputation Decay in this mod does?

4 hours ago, Filigan said:

Isn't this exactly what the Reputation Decay in this mod does?

Not really  but the reputation decay is better. What he's describing feels like it would be awkward to play through and awkward to implement. Reputation decay is smoother and more organic. On the default reputation gain settings, it tends to soft cap at around 750. The losses at that point have increased to the point that if you're not doing higher prestige contracts then your budget is stagnating.

Edited by Starwaster

5 hours ago, Starwaster said:

Not really  but the reputation decay is better. What he's describing feels like it would be awkward to play through and awkward to implement. Reputation decay is smoother and more organic. On the default reputation gain settings, it tends to soft cap at around 750. The losses at that point have increased to the point that if you're not doing higher prestige contracts then your budget is stagnating.

Pretty much this. Also, if I start fiddling with the multiplier, that means the player-set options are going to be meaningless.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.