[1.8.x] Monthly Budgets 5.0.1 (22/12/2019) - UP FOR ADOPTION

severedsolo

9 minutes ago, severedsolo said:

The contract interceptor fires when the contracts generate. Any contracts previously generated will still have the funds stripped out but new contracts will have funds. If you are planning on playing like that I also recommend deleting the MM patch that converts world firsts to rep

That makes perfect sense.. appreciate the support.

Im having a strange issue where the "Next Budget Due" says Y1 D31 (61, 91, etc), but set to a rotation of 30 days? Also it is not creating KAC alarms or stopping time-warp.
Was thinking another mod may have been causing the issue so started with a fresh install and only had KAC and MB installed (from GitHub).

KSP: 1.5.1.2335
MB: 4.7
KAC: 3.9.1.0

Again.. digging you mods..

In regards to Tourism, is this any Tourism contract pack or ???  I asked, as I have : ContractPack-Tourism_1.5.2 and the "kick off" one I just completed, there was no $$$ , just rep and science and the next one after that is not offering any $$$ either.

5 hours ago, Red3Tango said:

Im having a strange issue where the "Next Budget Due" says Y1 D31 (61, 91, etc), but set to a rotation of 30 days?

Sorry but I don't see the issue. That's 30 days between each one. It's "D31" rather than "D30" if that's what you mean, because KSP starts on D1 not D0.

5 hours ago, Red3Tango said:

Also it is not creating KAC alarms or stopping time-warp.

Known issue - create a new alarm in KAC (anything will do) and it will then generate it's alarm. Basically it doesn't generate a new alarm if there are none in the list. Also, you should win a prize or something. That bug has been there for over 2 years, and you are the first person to mention it.

4 hours ago, gamerscircle said:

In regards to Tourism, is this any Tourism contract pack or ???  I asked, as I have : ContractPack-Tourism_1.5.2 and the "kick off" one I just completed, there was no $$$ , just rep and science and the next one after that is not offering any $$$ either.

Is that Tourism Plus? You have to add a MM patch for that one:

MB_DISABLED_AGENTS 
{
	Agent = Kerbal Space Tourism 
}

(check the agent hasn't changed, it's been a while since I wrote that)

Edited by severedsolo

15 hours ago, severedsolo said:

Sorry but I don't see the issue. That's 30 days between each one. It's "D31" rather than "D30" if that's what you mean, because KSP starts on D1 not D0.

Known issue - create a new alarm in KAC (anything will do) and it will then generate it's alarm. Basically it doesn't generate a new alarm if there are none in the list. Also, you should win a prize or something. That bug has been there for over 2 years, and you are the first person to mention it.

Is that Tourism Plus? You have to add a MM patch for that one:

MB_DISABLED_AGENTS 
{
	Agent = Kerbal Space Tourism 
}

(check the agent hasn't changed, it's been a while since I wrote that)

Since I am still a noob at the mm patches, I am looking at the Agents.cfg and I see

name = Kerbal Space Tourism

So, Yes!

And I just take what you put above and create another .cfg file and should be good to go?  If I have a current tourism contract, will it have bucks to offer or will I have to wait for a new one after the current one?

1 minute ago, gamerscircle said:

And I just take what you put above and create another .cfg file and should be good to go?  If I have a current tourism contract, will it have bucks to offer or will I have to wait for a new one after the current one?

Yup that's it, just copy and paste that into a new cfg file. It will probably effect new contracts only.

5 minutes ago, severedsolo said:

Yup that's it, just copy and paste that into a new cfg file. It will probably effect new contracts only.

Thanks!  It works.. I had to disable the contract mod, go into the game.. then re-enable it , change scene and now Tourism has money attached.  Thank you again.

19 hours ago, severedsolo said:

Guess I just thought this was weird because of the D0/D1 difference. Only reason I brought it up is that I was watching DasValdez create a new save and his was showing D30, 60, etc. No big issue though, if my OCD gets the better of my I could change the first month to 29 days lol.

19 hours ago, severedsolo said:

On another note, I have not looked back at previous posts. Has anyone mentioned the bug where "Launch Costs" are copied over from an existing save if you exit to the main menu and create a new save?

Edited by Red3Tango

8 hours ago, Red3Tango said:

Has anyone mentioned the bug where "Launch Costs" are copied over from an existing save if you exit to the main menu and create a new save?

No but I watched the stream, and saw it happening so I'm aware :) - once Oh Scrap settles down (it's nearly there now, thank god) I plan to get back to working on the big feature update for MB, at which point I'll fix that bug too.

Also, just for anyone else reading this: MB does not like it when you start a new save without restarting KSP. This has actually been the case for a very long time, I've just never done anything about it because it's never come up until now. (it's one of those "I know but it doesn't seem to be actually effecting anyone so I'll leave it alone" things.)

Edited by severedsolo

• 2 weeks later...

I think budget deficits are being multiplied .

I have budgets set to 90 day increments, and a budget of approximately $22700

My costs were $22625, plus a couple of thousand for launches I think about $6000-8000

Then had research and big project set to 10%.

When the budget hit I was down by $30,000

My numbers aren't exact because I didn't look at the numbers before the budget hit, but theres still a huge discrepancy.

Income was 22700

Costs should be 22625 + 2270 (R&D) + 2270 (big project) +6000-8000 (launch costs)

So, deficient should be 22700-33165 .. About 11K

I lost 30k. Also my Big budget is still at 0 so I guess that isn't added to when you're in deficit?

My Guess is since my budget length is 3 times the default of 30 days the deficient is multiplied by 3?

Despite the fact that costs and income is already calculated on a per budget basis rather than per day.

Am I right or did I miss something?

Edit: Maybe I am misunderstanding how things work.

My stated income is exactly my reputation times the multiplier, so thats obviously per budget.
But the costs displayed are 3 times higher than the configuration, so the config sets it to per month. But the listed costs is already multiplied by 3 so it should work out fine.
Maybe my launch costs were multiplied by 3?

Edited by MarcAFK

@MarcAFK - what are your building levels? The costs in the settings are base costs, the building costs and launch costs get multiplied by the building levels (it's an average of the level for everything but the launchpad/runway, and the launch costs are multiplied by the runway/pad level)

1 minute ago, MarcAFK said:

I'm running a ton of mods.  Ive also noticed a problem with the calendar but that's probably because I resized the system.

I hope this upload is good.
  https://ufile.io/fu5mn

Looks ok to me (the upload that is) - dw about the mods, I'm going to drop your MB settings/persistence into a clean save and see what figures it spits out at me. Will let you know what i find - I won't get a chance to look at it until tonight (it's 6am here atm)

11 hours ago, MarcAFK said:

I'm running a ton of mods.  None I can think of which would have intefered with the income. Ive also noticed a problem with the calendar but that's probably because I resized the system.

I hope this upload is good.
  https://ufile.io/fu5mn

I see that you are running 1.4.3 I'm going to guess that you are still on an old version of mb (4.6 probably) - if you have Making History and extra launch sites enabled you will be charged for each one - this was removed in 4.7 (but never made it into the changelog). 

What's the problem with the calendar? Mb is supposed to take different calendars into account. 

Edited by severedsolo

Oh thats great, I'm sorry for wasting your time, should have mentioned the version I was running.

After playing around with system scale I realise that monthly budgets has perfect knowledge of the solar year length, the default ingame calender is a specific number so it can get out of alignment. My problem was because rescaling the system I ended up with weird year lengths. I fixed it by setting monthly budgets to a 365 day year, then tweaking the system scale untill budgets reported the first budget would occur on day 1 of year 2 which would imply a 365 day year (24 hours) .
I'm enjoying the mod so far, it gives me a safety net so I can launch without having to grind contracts, but contracts do give a better income. (at least in my config).

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, MarcAFK said:

I'm having a problem in 1.5.1 where I don't get any income at all from the budget, costs are always removed however.

Can you send a screenshot of what your UI window looks like please - this is expected when the funds in hand are more than the budget it would award you, but I want to check that's what's happening, or whether that's a bug.

It could be a result of the other mods I'm running, however its happening consistently no matter if I have extra funds, enough money , budget surplus, budget deficiet, always the cost is applied but not the income. I didnt have trouble on 1.4 though. I'll Just start up a fresh game without all the clutter and take a screenshot of it happening (if it still does).

Maybe I'm misinterpreting what the "cover costs" setting does. I Had assumed that toggling that would change the budget from the default which is to reduce savings by costs when savings are higher than budget . Perhaps to a state where budget surplus is added to savings, however this isn't the case.
What does that option actually do? I can't notice a difference.

Edited by MarcAFK

47 minutes ago, MarcAFK said:

What does that option actually do? I can't notice a difference

What it's supposed to do, is try to deduct the costs from the budget pool, regardless of whether you have more funds in hand than you'd be allocated. 

An example may be easier - let's assume you have 5k in hand. 

Scenario 1: your budget should be 10k, you've got 4k of costs to pay - your net budget is 6k - MB should hand you a budget of 6k (this would happen whether that option is on or off) 

Scenario 2 (deduct costs off) your budget is 3k, you have 2k costs, net budget 1k - MB should just take the 2k from your funds in hand. 

Scenario 3 (deduct costs on): same as above, but MB will deduct the 2k from the budget regardless and leave your funds in hand alone. Next month's budget is reduced to 1k (see scenario 4).

Scenario 4: your costs are still 2k but you only have 1k budget. As you don't have enough in the budget to cover the costs, we revert back to the behaviour in scenario 2 and funds are taken from your held funds instead. 

Hey @severedsolo we are looking at integrating Monthly Budgets into RP-1 and I wanted to get a full understanding of all of the options available to us:

• Hard Mode means you need to spend all of your budget? If you don't how much is the penalty?
  • For the contract interceptor, do you recommend that we use it, or re-write the contracts to have more control over the overall reputation?
  • I don't understand the cover costs at all -> Deduct costs from budget instead of funds, does the budget not go into your account, is the stuff like maintenance removed from your budget before ever hitting your bank?
  • Decay Reputation - Can we set how much it decays each budget?
  • If I get to a 0 or negative reputation, will I still receive at least some money?
  • There is a base cost for the building maintenance, how much does this go up for each level?
  • For the maintenance on the buildings, does it recognize multiple launch pads capable with KCT?
  • How much is spent per research point and is there somewhere this can be changed?
  • What do you feel is the best amount of time between payments?

Sorry for the wall of text. I just like trying to make sure everything is understood before I go messing around with huge changes like this.

@pap1723 - I'll address your points like this as it's easier than quoting:

• Hard Mode means you need to spend all of your budget? If you don't how much is the penalty? - 1 rep per 10,000 funds left over (no partial losses, it's 1 for every full 10,000, 9,000 would be a 0 loss)
  • For the contract interceptor, do you recommend that we use it, or re-write the contracts to have more control over the overall reputation? - Up to you - the Contract Interceptor will pay out at 1 rep per 10,000 funds, if that doesn't work for you then yeah write the rep amounts directly into the contracts.
  • I don't understand the cover costs at all -> Deduct costs from budget instead of funds, does the budget not go into your account, is the stuff like maintenance removed from your budget before ever hitting your bank? - Basically, if the budget wouldn't be awarded due to you having too many funds, it will try to take the costs from the budget pool anyway. I wrote a proper explanation here
  • Decay Reputation - Can we set how much it decays each budget? - Yup, that's configurable in the settings (or if you are shipping it with Defaults, it's also in DefaultSettings.cfg)
  • If I get to a 0 or negative reputation, will I still receive at least some money? - No. It's a straight rep*multiplier conversion.
  • There is a base cost for the building maintenance, how much does this go up for each level? It depends. If you are using a standard 3 level setup, it scales linearly, level 2 will cost 2x as much, level 3 will cost 3x as much. If you use more/less levels things get kooky, because KSP doesn't give you the levels directly, you have to determine them using a formula - this formula doesn't work properly for more than 3 levels.
    ((int)Math.Round(ScenarioUpgradeableFacilities.GetFacilityLevel(SpaceCenterFacility.LaunchPad) * ScenarioUpgradeableFacilities.GetFacilityLevelCount(SpaceCenterFacility.LaunchPad)) + 1)
  • For the maintenance on the buildings, does it recognize multiple launch pads capable with KCT? - No, I toyed with the idea of making extra launchsites (Making History etc) cost more, but it was just confusing people.
  • How much is spent per research point and is there somewhere this can be changed? - 10,000 per science point, and it's hardcoded. Note that this money comes directly out of the budget, it's not sustainable, it's meant to be a "I really need that part to get this mission done, and just need a bit more science".
  • What do you feel is the best amount of time between payments?  - 30 days, but that's balanced for the Kerbin system and 6 hour days, (MB will take into account homeworlds with non-standard days/years though)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.