[1.8.x] Monthly Budgets 5.0.1 (22/12/2019) - UP FOR ADOPTION

severedsolo

18 hours ago, pap1723 said:

@severedsolo thank you very much for the response! Would it be possible / easy enough for you to have a feature added that changed the budget rate once a certain tech was researched? 

Huh I thought I replied to this - sorry.

In terms of difficulty/time it should be pretty simple, I'm just not sure I actually like the idea, or how to present it  to the player, I don't want to add yet more confusing stuff to the settings screen, and I want it to be completely optional.

My working theory at the moment would be a MM patch that would quietly just do it in the background if RP1 was installed - just to check you are talking about changing the multiplier here when you say changing the rate right?

Loving this mod combined with Kerbal Construction Time and Oh Scrap!  Would it be possible to change or add as an option to make launch cost be a percentage of the ship cost rather than a fixed cost (maybe also with min/max) ?  In the early game, the cost of  launches must be carefully considered, especially with Oh Scrap!, which requires tests to build up part reliability.  However, as your budget increases, the flat rate of 1000 funds (default) becomes negligible.  Also, this would model the increased costs of  logistical support and launch pad reconditioning of a larger craft vs a sounding rocket. 

Thanks for your great mods and excellent support!

Spink

7 hours ago, severedsolo said:

Huh I thought I replied to this - sorry.

In terms of difficulty/time it should be pretty simple, I'm just not sure I actually like the idea, or how to present it  to the player, I don't want to add yet more confusing stuff to the settings screen, and I want it to be completely optional.

My working theory at the moment would be a MM patch that would quietly just do it in the background if RP1 was installed - just to check you are talking about changing the multiplier here when you say changing the rate right?

Yes, exactly.

What I would want to do is to change the rate at which money is distributed through the different eras. So early game would be high and there would be very little external funding. As we progress into the Moon Race, I would want to increase the amount. And then as we move forward, decrease the amount and offer more opportunities to deliver payloads you would get paid for.

3 hours ago, SpinkAkron said:

Loving this mod combined with Kerbal Construction Time and Oh Scrap!  Would it be possible to change or add as an option to make launch cost be a percentage of the ship cost rather than a fixed cost (maybe also with min/max) ?  In the early game, the cost of  launches must be carefully considered, especially with Oh Scrap!, which requires tests to build up part reliability.  However, as your budget increases, the flat rate of 1000 funds (default) becomes negligible.  Also, this would model the increased costs of  logistical support and launch pad reconditioning of a larger craft vs a sounding rocket. 

Thanks for your great mods and excellent support!

Spink

I actually just disabled the monthly ship upkeep because it was charging me the same rate for a 7 part com relay as it did a 500 part space station. Same issue with launches... same cost for a test stand rollout as a massive rocket, so for that we just decreased the price to make it more reasonable for simple rollouts, and will upgrade the costs based on the pad building level (which happens only 2 times per save) as opposed to a per rocket basis.

4 hours ago, Solar_Ranger24 said:

Hello, in the ingame settings I have set that contracts pay funds as well as reputation but in the contracts menu they only offer reputation

EDIT: It seems to have fixed itself

Contracts extant at the time of installation don't get changed IIRC and will continue to report their original payout types though they may be caught and corrected upon payout or during certain other contract events.

3 hours ago, Starwaster said:

Contracts extant at the time of installation don't get changed IIRC and will continue to report their original payout types though they may be caught and corrected upon payout or during certain other contract events.

I believe this is true, if you install the mod after starting a new career save, the first "launch a vessel" and "get science" contracts will not be modified, but contracts created after those are completed will be affected by the mod.

Monthly Budgets 4.8 Released

• Recompile against KSP 1.6.0
  • Kerbal Changelog by @Benjamin Kerman is now bundled. For CKAN users this is a required dependency.
  • Moved event to fire the DeadKerbalPenaliser from OnCrewKilled to OnKerbalStatusChanged
  • Dead Kerbal penalty split between vessel and number of kerbals lost (vessel loss will fire for the first death, subsequent deaths from the same "event" will not cause a further vessel loss penalty.)
  • Fixed bug where loading a second save in the same session would cause weirdness.
  • Fixed bug where "Other Facilities" cost would not be loaded when user set, because of a typo.
  • Added mechanism to upgrade saves when new settings are added, to stop me from having to reset your settings every time.
Edited by severedsolo

• 4 weeks later...

Monthly Budgets 4.8.1 Released

• Recompile against KSP 1.6.1
  • Fixed issue where Budgets weren't being capped correctly
  • Updated changelog file to reflect the fact that this is in fact Monthly Budgets and not Oh Scrap (This is why we don't copy and paste kids)
  • Updated changelog file to actually show the changelog on an update.
  • Actually updated the version file to reflect 1.6.x compatibility (Jeez, I really messed up the last release didn't I?)

hah!

I hadn't installed this yet to kick off my new career game -- so glad I didn't have to discover those headscratchers from 4.8 :D  Thanks for keeping this one current. Now to remember what settings I altered to make my budget cycles last a minmonth...

Edited by Beetlecat

2 hours ago, Beetlecat said:

Now to remember what settings I altered to make my budget cycles last a minmonth...

You know you can just input the settings into DefaultSettings.cfg (in PluginData) and MB will do it for you right?

2 hours ago, Beetlecat said:

so glad I didn't have to discover those headscratchers from 4.8

In my defence - I have a memory of updating the version file. I think what happened is that I did change it, but forgot to push to Github (which would do no good, because that's the bit that prompts you to update). When I reinstalled Windows, I would have lost those changes because a) I did the last release in my main Linux OS, and b) I pulled from the Github Repo due to the reinstall, so I got the old version.

I seem to remember that my wife was pushing me to get finished so we could go to bed, so I rushed it. That's my excuse anyway and I'm sticking to it :P 

What I really need want is for Github Desktop to automatically push when I commit. I have good and unlimited internet, so I never want to commit and not push.

Edited by severedsolo

9 hours ago, severedsolo said:

You know you can just input the settings into DefaultSettings.cfg (in PluginData) and MB will do it for you right?

Right! There were a whole host of tweaks to MB, KCT, and game settings to adjust payouts, etc. I left that old saved game intact so I could port over the settings. I'll let you know if I run into any trouble/. :) have Qs.

-- is the MonthlyBudgetDefault.cfg in /PluginData where to change/put this value? I tried adding BudgetInterval = 47.3 but the slider in game still shows where I left it (24 days...). Do MB's configuration values get written into the game's persistent file?

Edited by Beetlecat

• 2 weeks later...

Small QOL improvement because I actually played KSP for the first time in a while yesterday and got fed up of doing the maths in my head:

Monthly Budgets 4.9 Released

• UI will now display Gross and Net Budget (Net budget is what you will actually get on payday)

On 1/26/2019 at 6:50 PM, Beetlecat said:

is the MonthlyBudgetDefault.cfg in /PluginData where to change/put this value? I tried adding BudgetInterval = 47.3 but the slider in game still shows where I left it (24 days...). Do MB's configuration values get written into the game's persistent file?

Sorry I missed this. The values get written to the persistence, under BudgetScenario

MonthlyBudgetsDefault will only be used on starting a new game (it will pull the values out of there on first run). If you don't feel like editing all those lines in your persistence you could just change firstRun to true and it will reload from the defaults file. 

2 minutes ago, severedsolo said:

Sorry I missed this. The values get written to the persistence, under BudgetScenario

MonthlyBudgetsDefault will only be used on starting a new game (it will pull the values out of there on first run). If you don't feel like editing all those lines in your persistence you could just change firstRun to true and it will reload from the defaults file. 

Gotcha! I think I may have figured it out  / you told me this a couple game versions ago, but I appreciate it again :)

1 hour ago, Trulight said:

Might of already been pointed out in previous posts, but this one is paying out even though rep only is on.  It's giving both, on the tourism.

CqBMigZ.jpg

That's by design. Tourists pay cash, its such a minimal amount it doesn't make much difference anyway, and I think tourists not paying cash is weird. 

2 minutes ago, severedsolo said:

That's by design. Tourists pay cash, its such a minimal amount it doesn't make much difference anyway, and I think tourists not paying cash is weird. 

that's fine, i get that but look at the reputation :P  That's like 3 times going to the mun as far as budget.

I created a 26 passanger suborbital, i had monthly budget at well hehehe a LOT.  Over 9 million budget :P.

I get that it's adjustable in the settings for monthly budget, but compared to everything else suborbital is insane on budget, if you turn down per rep makes nothing else worth doing.  Thought i'd point it out.

Edited by Trulight

2 minutes ago, Trulight said:

that's fine, i get that but look at the reputation :P  That's like 3 times going to the mun as far as budget.

Oh, I see your point. Sorry, you got the auto reply - force of habit xD - it's a stock balancing issue. That contract would have paid 180k in stock. Assuming default settings, your getting about 40k a month extra for doing it.

I'd suggest digging into contracts.cfg and see if you can edit the base payouts. I'm not going down the rabbit hole of arbitrarily changing the formula for one set of contracts 

1 minute ago, severedsolo said:

Oh, I see your point. Sorry, you got the auto reply - force of habit xD - it's a stock balancing issue. That contract would have paid 180k in stock. Assuming default settings, your getting about 40k a month extra for doing it.

I'd suggest digging into contracts.cfg and see if you can edit the base payouts. I'm not going down the rabbit hole of arbitrarily changing the formula for one set of contracts 

Yeah rabbit hole can become hard to turn around in.  Just ask my dachshund lol.

• 4 weeks later...

Not sure if I'm doing something wrong but my reputation is decaying even if I turn off "Decay reputation each budget?" and it's making my brand new playthrough miserable, I can't get enough reputation from sounding rockets to sustain the mysterious decay since I'm using KCT. Am I doing something dumb or is this a bug?

Edited by Raccoon

2 minutes ago, Raccoon said:

Not sure if I'm doing something wrong but my reputation is decaying even if I turn off "Decay reputation each budget?" and it's making my brand new playthrough miserable, I can't get enough reputation from sounding rockets to sustain the mysterious decay. Am I doing something dumb or is this a bug?

Screenshot of your settings please? Also check your research budget

Edited by severedsolo

14 minutes ago, Raccoon said:

Oh, does research funding decay your reputation as well? I wasn't aware of that if so oops, had it at 20% constantly.

Yeah it's not meant to be on constantly. It's for those times when you just need that little boost to get you the next part. 

That would explain it, it's massively expensive to run a research budget. You are converting 20% of your rep to science every cycle

Edited by severedsolo

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.