[1.8.x] Monthly Budgets 5.0.1 (22/12/2019) - UP FOR ADOPTION

severedsolo

@severedsolo Quick question, with rep decay turned off, is your reputation still supposed to decay at a set rate? I've noticed for several pay periods when I haven't been running missions, and waiting for some massive projects to bear fruit, my monthly income has been going down. I have rep decay turned off, but its still happening, but it thought it wasn't supposed to?

6 minutes ago, vardicd said:

Quick question, with rep decay turned off, is your reputation still supposed to decay at a set rate? I've noticed for several pay periods when I haven't been running missions, and waiting for some massive projects to bear fruit, my monthly income has been going down. I have rep decay turned off, but its still happening, but it thought it wasn't supposed to?

I can't see anything obviously wrong in the code. To answer your question - it shouldn't but it would depend on your settings.

If you had "taxpayers cover costs" on for instance, the costs would be deducted from your reputation, instead of your funding (ie it's coming out of the budget, not your funds).

What I'm saying is I need a log (when a budget is awarded) and a save file please.

@vardicd - I've just tested and the budget is not decreasing on default settings. I'm guessing it's "taxpayers cover costs" or Hard Mode.

Edited by severedsolo

55 minutes ago, severedsolo said:

I can't see anything obviously wrong in the code. To answer your question - it shouldn't but it would depend on your settings.

If you had "taxpayers cover costs" on for instance, the costs would be deducted from your reputation, instead of your funding (ie it's coming out of the budget, not your funds).

What I'm saying is I need a log (when a budget is awarded) and a save file please.

@vardicd - I've just tested and the budget is not decreasing on default settings. I'm guessing it's "taxpayers cover costs" or Hard Mode.

Ah, I'm guessing that its taxpayers cover costs. I've got that mode on, but didn't realize it would eat my rep each month.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/9i6cggz3ffgxvaj/AACydOqybGlpEE46M-hXD4kfa?dl=0

Link to output log and save file, just in case.

2 minutes ago, severedsolo said:

Working As Intended then. Do some contracts.

Okay, then no worries. I just misunderstood how the taxpayer setting worked. didn't realize it would eat rep.

Thanks for your time, and the help

• 4 weeks later...

Ive come across a bit of an exploit that Im not sure what to do with.

End of the month, I still have 271K funds. Im going to get 206K funds for the next month. I schedule construction of something really cheap that will take until just after the budget is decided. I then schedule a monstrosity that costs all my remaining funds. Start of the new month, now with 206K funds, I cancel construction of the monstrosity (or I could recover it instead, just this means less scene changes), and end up with about 476K funds, bypassing the funds limit.

I guess this is the office equivalent of ordering new stationery at the end of the financial year, then selling that stationary at the start of the next one?

11 hours ago, blu3wolf said:

I guess this is the office equivalent of ordering new stationery at the end of the financial year, then selling that stationary at the start of the next one?

TBH I'm ok with this, if players choose to do that that's fine, I'm not going to call "cheat". I personally don't do it, but I don't care if you do.

11 hours ago, blu3wolf said:

I cancel construction of the monstrosity, and end up with about 476K funds, bypassing the funds limit.

If you want to add realism, any time you cancel something you should have to pay to close out the project.

Is this something KCT supports though? Especially seeing as the project wasnt even started. Just in the queue.

Anyway, its outside the scope to address. I think Ill avoid doing it for this career save. Im not sure if I'll use the mod again though. Its a really cool concept, and the extra funding means Im progressing a lot faster through building upgrades, but I do miss the balancing act of being an independent space operator without government funding.

5 hours ago, blu3wolf said:

Is this something KCT supports though? Especially seeing as the project wasnt even started. Just in the queue.

I know magico was talking about making an API for KCT, no idea if anything ever came of it. I might look into it.

• 2 weeks later...
On 09/01/2017 at 11:34 PM, Friend0rags said:

Did you ever get around to eliminating those Objective payouts for the stock contracts? or reducing them to something insignificant ie 1 dollar?

So, while not a fix - I've just released a new Contract Pack with Exploration contracts that work better with Monthly Budgets

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Can this be installed but disabled?  I'd like to compare this to another mod, State Funding, and would rather have a single install with different saves.

Not right now, but I'll add that as an option over the weekend. Should be simple enough with a bool

@severedsolo, what would you think about making these two mods play together (State Funding and Monthly Budgets)?  

If both are installed and active, I think that the Monthly Budgets should run first, followed by State Funding.  What are your thoughts?

State Funding currently works on quarters (106 days) while Monthly Budgets is a bit more flexible. Changing State Funding wouldn't be that difficult, although I would like to hear from others about how these two should interact together.

Edited by linuxgurugamer

2 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

If both are installed and active, I think that the Monthly Budgets should run first, followed by State Funding.  What are your thoughts?

I haven't used StateFunding in a very long time, to be honest I forget how it works.

In terms of making them work together, if you want MB to fire first, that should be simple enough. I can use the new functionality in 1.2.2 to fire an event when MB has finished, would that be good enough?

If not, let me know and I'll see what i can do.

29 minutes ago, severedsolo said:

I haven't used StateFunding in a very long time, to be honest I forget how it works.

In terms of making them work together, if you want MB to fire first, that should be simple enough. I can use the new functionality in 1.2.2 to fire an event when MB has finished, would that be good enough?

If not, let me know and I'll see what i can do.

I think there is an easier way than that.  I assume MB fires at midnight?  So I can have SF fire a few hours later.  Would have to test, and this is a minor thing, I have other mods I'm working on 

11 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

I think there is an easier way than that.  I assume MB fires at midnight?  So I can have SF fire a few hours later.  Would have to test, and this is a minor thing, I have other mods I'm working on 

Generally speaking yes, it fires at 0h0m0s. If the player has set a weird value in the settings menu there is a chance that it could fire at a different time, but at default it will fire at that time. It wouldn't be difficult to ensure it fires at midnight every time though. (the setting at the moment is REALLY simple, it just checks every Update() whether enough time has passed, and if not it returns and waits for the next Update()

Edited by severedsolo

• 2 weeks later...
13 hours ago, Athur Dent said:

does this mod rely on contract configurator to remove mission payouts? my missins still give money :(

Nope. It uses the stock "OnContractOffered" event. This should fire whether its a CC contract or a stock one.

You may see payouts for parameters, but overall rewards will be turned off. If you can provide your log and a save, I can take a look if it's not working for you.

• 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, Warzouz said:

Hi,

I'm currently running a career game (in progress). I've 2 questions :

• Can I add this mod as my carrer is already running ?
  • Can I remove this mod safely from a running game if I don't like it ?

Thanks

Yep, and yep.

Hmm, you mod is fine. It's a nice variant of the basic game without sacrificing all the contract part. Now I can build my space station without any problems !

I have one suggestion on the display : you should detail the costs (kerbonauts on ground, in flight and ships).

Edited by Warzouz

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.