[1.8.x] Monthly Budgets 5.0.1 (22/12/2019) - UP FOR ADOPTION

severedsolo

4 hours ago, theonegalen said:

I really hope your April Fool's joke is idiot proof. I spent 2 hours trying to get my KSP to work today, then it loaded for 20 minutes, then I was greeted with the prank, then I tried to close KSP quickly enough that it didn't save. Now I get to wait for another 20 minutes for it to load again and I really hope I didn't mess everything up with my panic.

EDIT: Everything is ok.

It only runs for 30 seconds then gives you your funds back anyway, but i'm glad it worked out :p

• 1 month later...

This is probably one of the hardest decisions I’ve had to make, but it’s time to face the truth.

Regular followers will probably have noticed that I’ve been a bit less communicative recently, and when I do reply, the replies can be a bit curt.

I mod for myself, and the truth is that I really haven’t played KSP since 1.4.x came out (even then it was becoming less and less). This means that I just don’t have the motivation to bring stuff up to date, or address issues, and quite frankly it’s showing.

Every time I load up the forums, or get an email on one of my threads with a bug, I groan to myself. This is not a reflection on you guys, you are all almost exclusively a very nice bunch of people who are very helpful in helping me track down issues, and the rare one or two who haven’t been have usually been put off by my generally grumpy attitude to those kind of requests, so don’t tend to stick around. The problem is with me, I just don’t want to do this any more, and that’s not fair on you guys, who need someone who will actually dedicate themselves to it.

With that, it’s time for me to announce my retirement from modding. I don’t plan to just disappear, I’ll still be around, and I plan to get all the mods to a point where someone else could take them over easily (at the very least they will be getting a 1.7 update), and I’ll try and resolve any outstanding issues on Github before I call it a day. I still want to be a part of the community, I just don’t want to mod.

I believe everything is licensed MIT, but for anything that isn’t, it will be changed over to make any handover as smooth as possible. If anyone is interested in adopting any of my mods, please let me know.

I’d like to thank every one of you for your support and encouragement over the years, I’d like to thank the amazing modding community for all their help, especially the guys on Discord (you know who you are) and just generally everyone on this forum for being awesome.

The fact that somebody like me, who started with literally zero programming experience can become one of the big names in modding (well, I like to think I am anyway) simply by teaching myself and following other modders examples, is testament to how helpful this entire community can be.

If your just interested in my retirement, you can stop reading here. If you’d like to know what I’ll be doing next, check the spoiler (it's in no way KSP related just FYI).

Spoiler

I’ve mentioned several times that I have an autistic daughter. One of the things that REALLY bugs me, is that there are very few apps that allow you to use PECS* in a helpful way, especially when children are first learning it. To start with, children don’t understand symbols, you use photographs instead, but the apps almost exclusively have symbols and nothing else.

So, what I want to do, is use the programming skills that I have learnt here, to develop an app that will allow parents of autistic children to take pictures of objects, record their parents voice saying what that object is, and then when the child pushes the photo on the app, it will say the word.

*For those who don’t know, PECS stands for “Picture Exchange Communication System” - basically for non-verbal autistic people it gives them a voice, they can communicate what they want / how they are feeling by handing you a picture/symbol of that thing/emotion etc.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Monthly Budgets 4.10.1 Released

• Recompiled against KSP 1.7,1
  • Fixed log spam when you exit to Main Menu as MB is trying to run a budget update

Important Announcement

As I've said previously, I am retiring from KSP modding. Therefore this will be the LAST release of Monthly Budgets (assuming no issues come up in the next two weeks). A QA period of 2 weeks is now in effect, which means that support will officially end on 22 June 2019. This period is for BUGFIXES ONLY and any feature requests will be rejected. Anything raised after this date will also be rejected.

I'm also going to be uncharacteristically a bit uptight about the quality and way that bugfixes are raised. I am going to be updating alot of mods in short order, and don't have time to go trawling through the forum threads for reports or low quality efforts. You guys are usually pretty good... but this is a just in case.

All reports MUST:

• Be raised as an issue on Github forum reports WILL be ignored.
  • Include your KSP log/output_log/Player.log file.
  • Have CLEAR reproduction steps, including the minimum amount of mods required to reproduce the issue. (if it's a "it only sometimes happens, give me what you were doing and provide your log anyway, usually I can figure out from those two things where the code fell over).

Any reports that don't follow the above will be ignored and/or closed.

Again, sorry for being uptight about this, but I need to get this done.

Thank you for all your support over the years, I'll still be here, so feel free to stay in touch. I believe that @linuxgurugamer is going to take over support. (sorry LGG, you might get a few of these depending on how much I get done today :P)

Edited by severedsolo
Forgot what month it is....

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
4 hours ago, captainradish said:

I love this mod, but I never noticed until just now really that when you send budget to R&D it decreases prestige. There literally doesn't seem to be anywhere that says this. My program went pretty much bankrupt because I didn't know this.

From the OP:

On 9/3/2016 at 1:24 PM, severedsolo said:

Science Funding - Want to go to Mun but just don't have the right parts yet? You can divert some/all of your budget to Science Points (be warned, this is REALLY expensive, the money you spend gets wiped from your budget completely. You need to be out there doing stuff to build your reputation back up to sustain it).

You aren't the first person to mention this though. I'll add a tooltip when I next do an update.

On 8/12/2019 at 11:06 AM, captainradish said:

I'm just trying to figure out the logic of this. I mean, research and development isn't exactly something that investors would be horrified you're spending your money on.

No, but it's also free science, and I felt there had to be a price.

The story behind this goes something like this: I needed a few extra science points to unlock a part that I really needed. I wrote that feature so I had a way to get those science points, but felt like I was cheating, so I gave myself a hefty penalty for doing so.

8 hours ago, severedsolo said:

No, but it's also free science, and I felt there had to be a price.

The story behind this goes something like this: I needed a few extra science points to unlock a part that I really needed. I wrote that feature so I had a way to get those science points, but felt like I was cheating, so I gave myself a hefty penalty for doing so.

OK, makes sense. It's not *exactly* free science, though. You're still paying for it. In many ways, it's better than the vanilla way of gaining science as it is much more realistic and extends the game greatly. I mean, normally you can potentially get to the moon within the first week.

1 hour ago, captainradish said:

Out of curiosity, how does the mod calculate a month? When playing stock it's roughly 30 days, but I'm currently playing Beyond Home and it calculates a month as about 65 days. There's nothing at all wrong with that, I just find it interesting.

30(or whatever you've set it to) * your home worlds rotation period. I'd guess if you don't have kronometer installed, it would then be translated into kerbin days on the UI.

14 minutes ago, severedsolo said:

30(or whatever you've set it to) * your home worlds rotation period. I'd guess if you don't have kronometer installed, it would then be translated into kerbin days on the UI.

Now this shows quality. Most authors would have made it a hard 30-days and called it done. This mod actually has a formula for figuring it out.

9 hours ago, dlrk said:

What does the "penalty for not spending entire budget" option do?

It wipes some of your rep out if you underspend. Off the top of my head I think it's 1 rep lost for every 10,000 funds left when the budget fires.

and.. I am sure that this has been asked and answered -

• Costs Running a space program is expensive, kerbals need to be paid etc. When calculating your budget, costs for wages and any active vessels will be deducted before the budget is awarded. If no budget is awarded, the costs will be deducted from your available funds.

Does this mean any and all sats, probes, etc? 

12 minutes ago, gamerscircle said:

and.. I am sure that this has been asked and answered -

Does this mean any and all sats, probes, etc? 

Indeed. Anything that's not marked as debris, asteroid or Eva kerbal

Edited by severedsolo

Sorry to hear you're quitting modding, but it makes sense!
For now though, I have a question for anyone with an answer- What values do you think might be best for a low-contract career mode? I'm planning on disabling almost all contract packs, except for some anomaly survey, scansat, ARM/Sentinel and DMagic packs, since I felt the progression system was too gamey.

1 hour ago, Brixmon said:

Sorry to hear you're quitting modding, but it makes sense!

Well there's been some movement on that front, I've decided I'm not quitting entirely, just maybe not as active as I used to be.

1 hour ago, Brixmon said:

What values do you think might be best for a low-contract career mode?

If you aren't planning to use the progression contracts, you could try upping the rewards for World firsts in the MM patch, I'm planning to run an experiment to see if it's possible to actually not use contracts at all in my next game.

1 hour ago, severedsolo said:

Well there's been some movement on that front, I've decided I'm not quitting entirely, just maybe not as active as I used to be.

If you aren't planning to use the progression contracts, you could try upping the rewards for World firsts in the MM patch, I'm planning to run an experiment to see if it's possible to actually not use contracts at all in my next game.

Well, I ended up deciding to use PlayYourWay, but still, I may want to come back to this later- either in another 1.7 playthrough or after this mod is updated- and after Kopernicus stops causing problems with Breaking Ground.

If you or someone else picks this mod up again, I recommend working on making it easier to configure for zero-contract or few-contracts playthroughs, since PlayYourWay doesn't look to be updating any time soon. And, I'm sure plenty of other people are like me, and want to worry about funds but without being constrained by progression contracts.

• 2 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.