Transfer fuel aft of docking port

I don't know if this is possible, or whether it has been suggested before, but it would be dead handy if you could right click a docking port (namely the one on a craft by which a craft is docked to, eg a space station) and have an option to "transfer fuel aft of this port"(or maybe something less cryptic). The craft would then draw any available fuel from tanks on the station-side of the port into its own tanks. It would allow you to completely refuel a craft in two clicks, including any hidden tanks (eg ones inside structural parts) without all the hassle alt-clicking individual tanks and hoping you haven't missed any.

Doable?

If it's doable or not I don't know, but on the face of it it seems relatively feasible.  It's a nice idea that I could find useful.

The current stock feature of being able to keep the right click menus open help a lot with this, but this could be a very handy extra.

Ah cool, I didn't realise there was a new fuel system coming. Guess I should read the dev notes if I'm gonna presume to make suggestions on how to build upon the game! 

Cheers, btw @Tex_NL. I actually have TAC fuel balancer installed. It's certainly better than the stock system, but can still be a wee bit of a faff.

I too have wanted this feature for some time. They should take care that a bug doesn't arise for vessels where there are two or more docking ports holding two vessels together which would otherwise maybe cause the fuel to move around in circles. 

7 hours ago, Red Iron Crown said:

I haven't seen mention of the new fuel system changing transfer mechanics, only resource draw from containers to consumers.

Yes but if the container consumer flow works better then it should be possible to do transfers by selecting one side of the docking port as the container and the other as the consumer then using the rules to flow between the two. Avoiding the need to select all the tanks on one side in order to fill them.

I doubt it's coming this version but it should make it easier to make improvements in this area in the "future".

Might make for a nice little mod, though.  Add a right-click item to the docking port's menu, "Draw Fuel" or somesuch.  The one bit of trickiness it would have to check for would be closed loops, as @THX1138 points out, though that may or may not be a problem-- not sure how KSP handles the modeling of multi-docked vessels, given the tree structure of things.  In any case, ought to be doable, just put some code in place to check for loops.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.