K-256 SeaWolf (working submarine)

K-256 SeaWolf.

I took my inspiration for this project from a model sub that i have sitting on my shelf, i also remembered reading about @pTrevTrevs sub experiments, and how people where saying that shuffling ore is just inconvinient, and that how he said that MK-3 tanks are too damn boyant to allow he's U-boat to dive.

And i kinda already promised long ago that i would make a sub for the KNS fleet.

So, could i make it one better, could i make something that looks like a U-boat, and something that works using only WASD controls.

And so i did. It took me about a whole day to make something that nearly worked. It did dive, but only with the nose pointing straight toward the bottom pf the ocean. I taught that it's not really gonna get better than that, so i gave up on the project for a while. But, because i really wanted it to work, i picked it up yesterday evening and finished the job.

And here we have the finished product.

To make it dive, all you need to do is:

1. Put your engines on full.

2. Then it's just smooth sailing using nothing but airplane controls. It will take some time for the nose to sink at first (push the nose down hard), but when your underwater, it's very smooth, responsive and easy to use (little taps are enough to make it change attitude). It does have quite a slow turn-rate tough (subs don't have bow engines so...yea).

And yes, it really is as simple as flying a plane using this thing.

Now let's look at what the thing looks like.

Spoiler

sZeavKo.png

The first 3 picks show an older version. The new version has 2 extra engines, more oretanks, struts and control surfaces.

o4KxpHt.png

aogboVY.png

Now i think it's time to dive.

wGuvH2G.png

mmpfZt4.png

And here we are, going down nice and steady, ready to pounce when an enemy vessel gets near.

Let's resurface now.

jmSNJfk.png

x68Zw00.png

Mission complete.

Now that you've seen that the thing actually works,  Now let's show you what it looks like from the inside.

Spoiler

JdvcGNq.png

The pick above shows the inside of the nose section. And as you can see already, it has LOTS of struts, oretanks and controlsurfaces.

On the pick below you can see the mid section with all the intakes (yes, the KAX engines needed that many intakes to stay satisfied), SAS modules (to keep a hands free heading stady heading).

CrT4pge.png

And finally there are a couple of picks showing the rear end.

uxbjsHp.png

E8fZFd8.png

Now let's take a look at some other important facts:

Since i didn't want endless headaches, nor any balancing issues, i didn't try to make any torpedoes for this one. Instead, i put two howitzers on the nose, to act as the subs main striking force.

One important thing about subs is ofcource the range, and speed. Well it's not that great. Under water, it has a top speed of about 11 m/s, and a range of about 16 minutes at full thrust.

So yea, If you wanna actually go somewhere hidden from view, put infinite fuel on and lot's of coffee, since it's gonna take a while.

I already tested that you can drive this into the water from the KSC runway. But be careful, it's very prone to falling on it's side when on land.

If you want to get that famous shot of the periscope poking out of the water, well, im sorry to say that it's not possible. Basically, if you go arrow straight underwater, you will slowly rise to the surface.

Specks:

Top speed:

-Above water:  about 20 m/s.

-Under water: about 11 m/s.

Range: bout 16 minutes worth of fuel at full thrust.

Armament: 2 howitzers and 4 chainguns.

Length: 45.9m.

Width: 9.0m.

Height: 12.8m.

Mass: 587.587 tons.

Parts: 554.

Mods used: KAX (engines removed from the downloadable version) and BD-armory.

Download link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/dxmwbj8ng8rh8ec/K-256 SeaWolf.craft?dl=0

And there it is pretty much, a nice little sub for all your silent hunting needs. I hope you enjoy it :).

Edited by kapteenipirk
better title.

Cool! It bears a striking resemblance to the Type XXI U-boat.

I almost feel like redesigning my own U-boat (the new one still in WIP) to make better use of five planes and less of trim tanks, but I'm so close to having it done, and I want to release it within this month.

5 hours ago, Waseemq1235 said:

If only someone would make a divable modern sub..

Funny you should mention that.

Because this was my original sub experiment.

pclrUTl.png

dQxOb10.png

3oB0DxR.png

It does look mighty fine, and is pretty large as well (bout 89m in length). But it doesn't have a hope in sinking cause of all the MK-3 tanks (most empty).

41 minutes ago, THE NARWHAL said:

Well, if you really want it i could very well try my luck on one. I have tried them before, but smaller.

I definetly suggest you go for it :wink:, because it's actually quite easy once you get the hang of it.

3 hours ago, THE NARWHAL said:

Beautiful sub! I'm planning on using radiators instead of mk3 tanks because of their INSANE bouyancy, squad really needs to fix it. I'll probably have something up by the end of the week.

Sorry to be a bit of a downer.

So, you plan on making a sub that needs to be barely bouyant from the most bouyant parts out there. I needed about 20 big ore-tanks to make that thing be able to dive.

And the sub experiment I showed didn't work for that reason, it was too bouyant to work as a sub.

13 hours ago, kapteenipirk said:

Sorry to be a bit of a downer.

So, you plan on making a sub that needs to be barely bouyant from the most bouyant parts out there. I needed about 20 big ore-tanks to make that thing be able to dive.

And the sub experiment I showed didn't work for that reason, it was too bouyant to work as a sub.

Right, so radiators are as bouyant as the MK3 tanks? Guess i'll have to use wings. panels, or some other material.

4 minutes ago, THE NARWHAL said:

Right, so radiators are as bouyant as the MK3 tanks? Guess i'll have to use wings. panels, or some other material.

Damn, should have known it was sarcasm. I can safely say that i haven't tested them for bouyancy, so i have no idea.

2 hours ago, pTrevTrevs said:

Clustering Mk2 parts seems to work well, I used them for the base of my new U-boat.

I have tried that, and it hasn't had the best results. The radiator sub is almost close to negative/neutral buoyancy, possibly will be done by thursday.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.