Mods in Game Data don't appear in game

Since I downloaded 1.1.4, I've had a problem. The game seems to be running just fine, but the mods I like to play with don't seem to be recognized by the game.

I downloaded the current versions that are listed as compatible with the latest KSP an d the file folders all appear in Game Data, just as the older versions appeared in 1.05, however, the buttons (where they are used) don't appear in the toolbar and the parts don't appear in the VAB. One of the mods I enjoy and downloaded is the sounding rocket mod, file folder is in Game Data, components in the folder appear complete, yet the rockets and their payloads appear neither in the VAB or tech tree.

I'm running the game on a new WIN10 machine and am bewildered by the problem. 

Version 1.1.3

The logs have added an additional element of confusion: the last time they updated was in May, when I was still on 1.0.5, which is also the version indicated in the logs.

The display, when I play the game, shows all the new vanilla icons that have been discussed, I just don't see anything like the alarm clock or navball icons. I don't know if this is an artifact of using steam, or what. Game displays the 1.1.3 watermark.

Not sure how to attach the log, it's way too long to paste.

• 2 weeks later...

I finally figured out what happened: Steam put the files in the desktop, so they didn't appear in the regular Windows file folder. Once I found the folder, I discovered that downloading just about all the mods had a gamedata subfolder under the mod folder that was displayed. After discovering this, it was a fairly easy task to open each mod's gamedata and move the actual mods to the KSP gamedata folder. I'm still getting used to Steam (Microsoft Edge probably isn't helping, either), so I'm dealing with several learning curves.

I recommend using CKAN for installing & managing mods. This will avoid MUCH hassle. CKAN is a mod installing/deinstalling management tool. You will find CKAN here: https://github.com/KSP-CKAN/CKAN/releases

Download and place CKAN.exe in the very same folder, where your KSP.exe resides. CKAN works best if it can manage your mods right from the beginning, so I advise to move/delete all mods from your GameData folder (except the Squad folder of course!) and begin from scratch. Then start CKAN. You will get a list of all compatible mods available for your KSP version. Just select the mods you like to have. Installing is handled by CKAN and - I think the most important thing - it handles all possible dependencies (one mod needs another to function correctly). It will also inform you when new versions of mods are available.

Edited by Carraux

I would only recommend CKAN if you are incapable of navigating your file system or unable to wrap your head around zip files. OP doesn't have problems with installing mods, just stemam doing something unexpected. In fact, since CKAN requires the user to specify the folder for most installs, it would have failed the exact same way.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.