GPU performance issue

Recently I ran into a performance issue - when flying a vessel and when in map view of an active vessel the frame rate drops to very low number (1 to 5 FPS) and my nvidia control panel shows very low GPU utilization. However, in the KSC and in Tracking Station the game is nice and smooth and GPU is properly utilized.

In detail
When I start the game, in the KSC the game runs fine and smooth and it is clearly using the GPU as can be seen from this image (GPU uitilization can be read in the left window): GPU utilization in KSC
When I go to the tracking station, the game still runs fine and smooth and is also using GPU: GPU utilization in Tracking Station
And now it begins. When I fly the vessel (or Melina as in this example), the game drops to about 1 to 5 FPS. The weirdest thing is that now the GPU is almost idle (it fluctuates between 0% and about 20%): GPU utilization flying a vessel. More to that, the debug window shows 25 FPS but that is not true, it is painfully laggy with about 1 to 5 FPS as I have already written.
The same happens when I switch to map view - again about 1 to 5 FPS, again very low GPU utilization: GPU utilization in Map View. Again the 25 FPS in the debug window is not the real frame rate.

However this behavior started only recently (a day or two, maybe? I'm not entirely sure). I have neither modified any mods nor the KSP itself. Maybe some system updates happened but I'm not sure about that (since I didn't track this as I found out about this problem just as it happened).

> uname -srvmpio
Linux 4.4.0-36-generic #55-Ubuntu SMP Thu Aug 11 18:01:55 UTC 2016 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

KSP version: 1.1.3.1289 (from Steam)
Installed mods: (all installed via CKAN)

• [x] Science! (xScience v4.20)
  • CapCom - Mission Control On The Go (CapCom 2.4)
  • Contract Parser (ContractParser 4.0)
  • Deadly Reentry Continued (DeadlyReentry v7.4.7.1)
  • Docking Port Alignment Indicator (DockingPortAlignmentIndicator 6.4)
  • Ferram Aerospace Research (FerramAerospaceResearch 3:0.15.7.2)
  • Kerbal Alarm Clock (KerbalAlarmClock v3.7.1.0)
  • Kerbal Attachment System (KAS 0.5.9.0)
  • Kerbal Flight Data (KerbalFlightData R21)
  • Kerbal Inventory System (KIS 1.2.12.0)
  • Magic Smoke Industries Infernal Robotics (InfernalRobotics v2.0.5)
  • Magic Smoke Industries Infernal Robotics - Legacy Parts (InfernalRobotics-LegacyParts v2.0.0)
  • MechJeb 2 (MechJeb2 2.5.8.0)
  • ModularFlightIntegrator (ModularFlightIntegrator 1.1.6.0)
  • Module Manager (ModuleManager 2.6.25)
  • NavUtilities (NavUtilities 0.6.1)
  • PersistentRotation (PersistentRotation 1.6)
  • Portrait Stats (PortraitStats 11.0)
  • Procedural Fairings (ProceduralFairings v3.17)
  • Progress Parser (ProgressParser 5.0)
  • RemoteTech (RemoteTech v1.7.1)
  • ShipManifest (ShipManifest 5.1.2.2)
  • Surface Mounted Stock-Alike Lights (surfacelights 1.2.4.0)
  • Toolbar (Toolbar 1.7.12)
  • TweakScale - Rescale Everything! (TweakScale v2.2.13)
  • Waypoint Manager (WaypointManager 2.5.3)

GPU: Nvida NVS 4200M (a lot of info about the GPU can be seen in the screenshots)
GPU driver: 364.19 (installed via Ubuntu's Additional drivers)

Thanks for any help and hints.

I'm sorry, posting the log now. I deleted the log, then let the game run for about 2 hrs and now the log is 6 GB in size. In my opinion this is HUGE and maybe is related to my problem. Here is the link to it (zipped): https://www.dropbox.com/s/f6s0o0g5csffawo/Player.log.zip?dl=0

On 9/5/2016 at 11:14 AM, JPLRepo said:

Probably not a lot of help is going to come without a log.
Logs tell a lot about what's going on.

You seem to have a part from one of your mods that is using a module (mod written) that is trying to set a constant. This is a know limitation/bug in KSP.

Spoiler

Part already contains resource 'EVA Propellant'

(Filename: /home/builduser/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/generated/common/runtime/UnityEngineDebugBindings.gen.cpp Line: 64)

FieldAccessException: Cannot set a constant field
  at System.Reflection.MonoField.SetValue (System.Object obj, System.Object val, BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at System.Reflection.FieldInfo.SetValue (System.Object obj, System.Object value) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at ProtoPartSnapshot.Load (.Vessel vesselRef, Boolean loadAsRootPart) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at ProtoVessel.LoadObjects () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at Vessel.Load () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at Vessel.Update () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

(Filename:  Line: -1)

So that happens and then FAR starts having problems and then Deadly ReEntry starts having real problems. and that's the death of it.
So how to fix? You need to hunt down the part/mod that is causing that problem and remove it.

I also noticed:

Spoiler

MechJeb module MechJebFARExt threw an exception in OnStart: System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Could not load file or assembly 'FerramAerospaceResearch, Version=0.15.2.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null' or one of its dependencies.
File name: 'FerramAerospaceResearch, Version=0.15.2.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null'
  at MuMech.MechJebCore.OnStart (StartState state) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

which is a very old version of FAR. FAR is 15.7.2 now and you have that installed.But you have an OLD version of MechJebFARExt installed which is trying to reference an OLD version of FAR.
In fact  you shouldn't even have MechJebFARext installed:

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.