How do you abort missions

322997am

Upright crewed launches from Kerbin always have a specific abort function bound to the abort button. It usually involves the following features:

• A launch escape tower (custom-built for some vehicles)
  • An upside-down fairing (with the base beneath the launch escape tower) that covers the crewed components as far down as the decoupler; usually no wider than the widest crewed component
  • A small decoupler beneath the fairing base to jettison the entire LAS when not needed (once in orbit)

Spaceplanes are often more complicated, but I usually try to ensure that the crew have a method of escaping an RUD situation.

And actually, when I set up extensive base systems on a planet I will usually equip launch vehicles from that planet's surface with some form of LAS, so that in an emergency the crew are able to return to the surface to be picked up by a rover and returned to the nearest base to await a rescue mission (which by that point usually consists of an already-departed ascent vehicle that was intended for a future crew).

Also, lately I've been looking into finding ways to integrate escape pods into my crew transport vehicles. For example, a module with some limited form of propulsion and just enough habitation space for the whole crew, to get them to the nearest functioning station or base if something goes wrong.

Edited by eloquentJane

Almost exactly what @Gaarst does.  In some situations I'll have a high-ish TWR lander up top which serves double-duty as the LES, then instead of hitting 0 to pop chutes and ditch thrusters, I'll just hit 'L' and land the thing nearby, on top of the VAB for extra points.

Esc-revert.

Or alt-f9, load 'safety' save that was made before attempting ad-hoc manoeuvre with uncertain outcome (a.k.a. a landing).

NASA/ESA have dozens of people checking missions before they launch. The unrealistic thing about KSP would be imagining that one person would be allowed to not notice a missing tail fin until after launch :)

I use a mod that blows up an engine every 50 flights - long enough to be lulled into a false sense of security. This is how it ususally goes.

Step 1: Panic

Step 2: Use action groups to shut down engines and to separate the vehicle from the exploding booster.

Step 3: If I do Step 2 fast enough, make a judgement call whether I am able to return to KSC or conduct a landing on the next continent.

Step 4: Panic some more.

Depends on what goes wrong when.

All crewed launches are equipped with a Launch Escape System.  I have also been known to carry out contingency missions in the event of an abort-to-orbit situation.

And revert is allowed if the failure was due to a game issue, including the automatic staging error generator.

Typically I have some kind of LES rigged up to my orbiters or cockpit ejection system to my planes. They're assigned to the abort action group, and after use, the chutes are readily available on the 0 or 9 action groups, depending on the vehicle.

So the order goes as such (and not unlike @Gaarst):

1. Backspace.
  2. Press 9 or--if not assigned to an action group--spam the spacebar until parachutes deploy.

However, I also have a different abort modes depending if the ship is on the launchpad, at low altitudes, at high altitudes, or if the ship has enough energy to make a contingency orbit.

Edited by Mrsupersonic8

14 hours ago, DunaRocketeer said:

I use a mod that blows up an engine every 50 flights - long enough to be lulled into a false sense of security. This is how it ususally goes.

Step 1: Panic

Step 2: Use action groups to shut down engines and to separate the vehicle from the exploding booster.

Step 3: If I do Step 2 fast enough, make a judgement call whether I am able to return to KSC or conduct a landing on the next continent.

Step 4: Panic some more.

What mod is that? The one that blows up an engine every fifty flights?

Also, is it every fifty,  or is it random with fifty as like the maximum/minimum?

2 hours ago, Zer0Winds said:

What mod is that? The one that blows up an engine every fifty flights?

Also, is it every fifty,  or is it random with fifty as like the maximum/minimum?

It's called Kerbal Launch failure, and yes it blows up an engine very fifty flights. I don't know if it's fifty + or - a random amount though. There are more complex failure mods out there, but this one suits me fine. :)

A big red button on my control panel bound to the abort action group: It fires the LES, shuts down all engines, and activates all decouplers to ensure that side mounted boosters don't drive the main rocket into the capsule. Afterwards, it is just a matter of pressing space to activate the chutes once the ascent is sufficiently slow and low.

Get Jebediah outta that spacecraft and let him land on his head. Or spam the spacebar, or revert flight, or hit that abort button, or load that quicksave, or edit the savefile, or do this, or do that, the possibilites are endless.

I don't make any particular abort contingency, just mash space until the chutes come out. Otherwise, Kerbal Krash System, even though I've nerfed the modifiers, makes pods generally tough enough to survive a fall if they're not high enough for chutes to work.

My main lifters have the command section between the booster below and the payload above, so they are actually pretty dangerous. I've added a probe core and stopped bringing crews on them unless I want them to transfer to something else once in space.

Edited by Guest

Action Group 6 and aim for the ocean.

(In moments of "it's all going wrong," backspace is too far away.  6 sits at the split in my ergonomic keyboard.  As for aiming for the ocean, well, that's the fact that modern KSP water isn't instant explodium to land in anymore.)

In early career mode I use abort to toggle my orbital functions (that awkward point before proper action groups) this has led to failing launches crashing into the ground with extended solar panels, radiators and antennas rather than parachutes and escape rockets!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.