Fractional Reputation?

I have chosen an endgame strategy which converts all my science to reputation. For small science gains, what is happening? Am I accruing fractional reputation, or losing everything? How can I verify this? (the reputation scale in the toolbar is pretty imprecise)

1 hour ago, Wcmille said:

I have chosen an endgame strategy which converts all my science to reputation. For small science gains, what is happening? Am I accruing fractional reputation, or losing everything? How can I verify this? (the reputation scale in the toolbar is pretty imprecise)

You can verify by checking the save game file. It is a text file. Search for "fund" for instance, so that you do not have to scroll all manually.

If you have adjusted the difficulty sliders I think the strategies might mess up.

Nothing gets messed up by adjusting the difficulty sliders.

Also, nothing is lost. Currencies are stored as floating point numbers. So yes, you're getting fractional reputation gains.

(This is especially good to know considering reputation doesn't increase linearly. Rather, it asymptotically approaches a maximum of 1000, growing slower and slower the more you already have.)

15 hours ago, Rodhern said:

You can verify by checking the save game file. It is a text file. Search for "fund" for instance, so that you do not have to scroll all manually.

If you have adjusted the difficulty sliders I think the strategies might mess up.

I can't seem to find it in my save game. What's the string to search for?

8 hours ago, Streetwind said:

Nothing gets messed up by adjusting the difficulty sliders.

Also, nothing is lost. Currencies are stored as floating point numbers. So yes, you're getting fractional reputation gains.

(This is especially good to know considering reputation doesn't increase linearly. Rather, it asymptotically approaches a maximum of 1000, growing slower and slower the more you already have.)

I'd like to verify this with an experiment. When I transmit science from labs, I get a point of reputation for every 50ish science, but fractions are never reported, i.e. don't get 0.1 reputation, just simply no readout, unless it's over 50.

4 minutes ago, Wcmille said:

I can't seem to find it in my save game. What's the string to search for?

Just looked up a random save game for a new career. It is one of the SCENARIO nodes. I have one that says "name = Reputation" and "rep = 0". I see that in this case the funds scenario and reputation scenario isn't actually neighbors (sorry, I thought they would almost always be).

44 minutes ago, Wcmille said:

I'd like to verify this with an experiment. When I transmit science from labs, I get a point of reputation for every 50ish science, but fractions are never reported, i.e. don't get 0.1 reputation, just simply no readout, unless it's over 50.

Yes, it shows you what you get, but not what your reputation bar increases by. Those are two different things :wink:

You can see your current reputation value by heading into the administration building and trying to enact a strategy that has a reputation setup cost. If you manage to exceed your current value, the game will show you what that value is. Next, get yourself some reputation income, and compare the number you received to the number your actual reputation value went up by. That should show the effect I mean.

2 hours ago, Wcmille said:

How are reputation gains calculated, precisely? I get that it gets harder as you approach 1000. What's the formula?

I don't know.

But if I were Squad, I'd use the simplemost one: repGain = income * (maxRep - currentRep) / maxRep

That kind of thing would give you 100% gain if you were at 0% reputation, 90% gain if you were at 10% reputation, 50% gain if you were at 50% reputation and so on and so forth all the way to an asymptote against the maximum cap. Of course, since negative reputation is a thing, you'd need to expand this equation to account for that case, but it's as straightforward a method as you're going to get for gradually approaching a capped value.

Edited by Streetwind

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.