Kerpedo Challenge

Welcome to the first known Kerpedo challenge!

Intro:

Our Kerbal engineers have noticed that they are very vulnerable to attack by other Kerbal nations, or even aliens. They decided some types of weapons, but they had trouble inventing something for underwater attack, So they had a discussion together. "What can we do to have something underwater that can launch a bomb?" Said Linus Kerman, Wernher von Kerman replied "Huh, an underwater missile?"  Linus Kerman nodded and replied with excitement "That's an amazing idea! But, our research shows that it's impossible to get a rocket to fire underwater...Any ideas Wernher?" Wernher von Kerman answered as if it's a very simple question "But propellers do work underwater! We shall name it the Kerpedo, is that a good name?"  Mortimer Kerman nodded and said "That's a great name! And it will be as cheap as missiles! Any more ideas?" Linus and Wernher shook their heads, and Mortimer instantly shouted "Dismissed!"

Explaination: What I am bad at :P

The challenge is to create a fully working torpedo (I'll be addressing the torpedo as "Kerpedo"). The torpedo has to be launched into the sea, and must be fully manuverable. The kerpedo may contain parts from the mods that will be listed below. I like to see realistic torpedoes, but hey, IT'S YOUR CHOICE!

Allowed mods:

The following mods are allowed to be used in this Kepedo challenge, please notice that visual enhancement mods are allowed and I very much appreciate them.

BDArmory: Only use for an explosive warhead.

Kerbal Aircraft Expansion: For a realistic propeller.

Tweakscale: To tweak all parts to whatever size you want your kerpedo.

KSP Maritime pack: Use for ballast parts to get a non-floaty torpedo (KSP Water Physics are a bit too good)

Vessel Mover: For moving your vessel.

This list is currently very early, this list will be expanded when mods come into my memory, you can help me decide which mods I should add by replying with the following format:

<Name of the mod>

<Why I should add it>

[Side notes]

Difficulties:

Sandbox: Do whatever you want with the torpedo, I will check it out, but you will not be listed on the winners list. I will only add you to the list of you make something impressive. You may even make an airdrop torpedo.

Easy: Make a working Kerpedo

Moderate: Make an impressive Kerpedo

Hard: Have an advanced underwater launch base for the Kerpedo (Use the Maritime Ballast Tanks to have a sinky base)

Impossible: Make a fully working submarine containing the Kerpedo, I'd be seriously impressed!

Well, only for ksp physics

Submitting:

Include the .craft file for me to download (Essential, there have been a lot of fake submissions recently)

Include a video (Recommended)

Include directions of use (Essential)

Include screenshots (VERY Highly Recommended, though not essential)

Include side notes (Highly Recommended)

Include which mods you have installed on your game (Essential)

Winner Board:

Spoiler

Congratulations to anyone on this board!

Special (Sandbox):

Mordecai_Ender

Easy:

None

Moderate:

Mjp1050

Hard:

None

Impossible:

Torquimedes

Outro:

Goodluck to you all! I wish you the best of luck! Your Kerpedo will serve the Kerbal Military, and you will be remembered as an honored scientist!

Also, just a note, having the Scatterer mod (for the beautiful oceans) will make me VERY happy!

I may record a video intro to this challenge.

Edited by Waseemq1235
New winners.

11 minutes ago, KSP Bro AE said:

All conditions will be met. Impossible mode with extras will be fulfilled, with extras. All will be done with stock parts. (I will use vessel mover though.)

Looking forward for that! Good luck! I shall add vessel mover to the list.

11 hours ago, Mordecai_Ender said:

So... submarine doesn't work as expected they float above water (wich is a problem) If I make a torpedo bomber, is it the same difficulty then submarines?

Yes, I will count it as the same difficulty. Good luck!

10 hours ago, Mjp1050 said:

I think I may have accidentally completed this challenge already. 100% stock, but instead of Vessel Mover, you have to hack gravity to get it in the water.

As far as I can tell, it doesn't violate any of the rules....

Download: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_Xjhyb2XTkEY01hN3FVQW16RE0

4LwJsMH.png

Cool design, I added your name to the winner board!

Edited by Waseemq1235

• 2 months later...
On 9/9/2016 at 5:44 AM, Mordecai_Ender said:

Here we go 

Video : 

Craft file : https://kerbalx.com/Mordecai_Ender/Torpedo-Bomber

How to launch : 

1. Take off

2. Reach the ocean

3. Drop it at 150m above the sea

4. Engage Parachutes and brakes to slow it down

5. Once splash down, drive it to your target

Well, that's a very late reply to you.

Sorry, I had to take a break from the forums.

Great design there!

Adding you to the list. :)

(I've rejoined the forums, this topic is NOT dead)

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/5/2016 at 8:18 AM, Waseemq1235 said:

Impossible: Make a fully working submarine containing the Kerpedo, I'd be seriously impressed!

You keep usink that word.  I do no’ think it means what you think it means.  

I built an attack submarine that fired a torpedo at a guided-missile frigate that fired an ASROC in response, and then sank each other.

KSP Version: 1.2.2.  Mods EditorExtensionsRedux and HangarGrid were used to construct the vessels, and HyperEdit put them to sea.  No parts were added, altered or resized with mods.  All are pure stock.  

Video is best viewed fullscreen.

Operational instructions

ASROC

1. Engage SAS in stabilization mode
  2. Throttle full
  3. Launch
  4. Climb to 1000 m
  5. Switch SAS to Target mode
  6. At 500m altitude stage to deploy chutes
  7. At splashdown stage to release torpedo
  8. Observe warhead impact and report damage assessment

Torpedo

1. Engage SAS in target mode
  2. Throttle full
  3. Launch
  4. Observe warhead impact and report damage assessment

These are my first KSP warships and naval weapons.  And by warships, I mean target drones that can float, submerge, steer and steam very slowly.  Most of the engineering went into making them sinkable by smashing their hulls.  Mounting and firing these weapons on them was a tricky business.  

Disclaimer: No Kerbals were harmed during these operations, all craft are drones.

KerbalX link for the weapon: 
https://kerbalx.com/Torquimedes/ASROC-Mk403

3TvtNL1.png

ASROC (anti-submarine rocket) carrying a Mk403 torpedo as its final stage. Provided here as a subassembly with naval deck mount for easy attachment to warships. You will need to sort out the staging since this is not saved in subassemblies.  
Staging:

1. Decouple deck mount and ignite rocket
  2. Decouple booster and open chutes
  3. Decouple chutes and ignite Panther

To use the torpedo separately, simply remove the rocket stage, battery and parachutes.  

Here's how the sub works.  It has 34 full small ore tanks offset inside the hull to counter the buoyancy of the half-empty grey tank, plus the other parts.  The grey tank is intended to be cracked open by the torpedo so the sub will sink.

BZ6CPv3.png

I had to add a couple tiny ore tanks for trim, and it ended up at neutral buoyancy with a total mass of ~160 tons.  It can be placed on the water with HyperEdit and driven to the desired depth, though very slowly, and extended use will increase its buoyancy.  

1 hour ago, Canberra_Gaming said:

We did this before it was cool quite a while ago

That sub is STILL cool.  Which version of KSP?  How fast was it?  Positive/neutral/negatively buoyant?  Did you use active or passive ballast tanks?  What is that dorsal structure?

1 hour ago, Canberra_Gaming said:

Mostly stock other than two BD warheads and two bombs. Torpedo could destroy battleships in on shot.

It would be very hard to sink with a stock torpedo, the Mk2 parts and full ore tanks are too tough.

On 12/16/2016 at 1:04 PM, Torquimedes said:

That sub is STILL cool.  Which version of KSP?  How fast was it?  Positive/neutral/negatively buoyant?  Did you use active or passive ballast tanks?  What is that dorsal structure?

It would be very hard to sink with a stock torpedo, the Mk2 parts and full ore tanks are too tough.

Slight negative buoyancy, used the hydrodynamics of the game for control and some exploits using cargo bays. Opening the Cargo bay was used to surface, had the .50 cal for AA, could also be used to sneak under ships. That Submarine isn't even close to all my Naval assets I've had:

ZTcJrEP.png

mNzaife.png

5PVIYXZ.png

(This submarine had working torpedo tubes, twas a fun experiment)

And don't forget the Foxbat Maritime Defense aircraft!

TCz9ccd.png

• 2 weeks later...

Okay so

this is the kerpedo. [original name i know]

range of ~16 km with turbo or who knows without.

speed of ~30 m/s

mods.

tweakscale

bdarmoury

i don't know how to do photos here but there are some on kerbal x

https://kerbalx.com/Reaper_works/Kerpedo

Instuctions

1. move to water
  2. point and shoot
Edited by Reaper_Works

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.