Update 1.2 has entered Experimental testing!

UomoCapra

This is fantastic news I cannot wait to play the full release.  I'd certainly echo some other posts here requesting that people carefully consider whether they have the time to truly test and report clearly and concisely (which is why I will not be taking part).  Best luck to all that decide to help and happy testing :)

I'd also perhaps request that even though this pre-release will have total(?) access to the player base should they want it, that the discussion is still kept to a specific sub-forum so players can choose to avoid content until full release if they wish to do so.  I won't point to an example thread but @Red Iron Crown may remember a couple of particularly irksome discussions around this, particularly with regards to pre-release challenges being posted.  Would appreciate it if you could let us know what the plans are around avoiding this if any?

SM - Currently exercising extraordinary British patience in the queuing for the Hype Train.

17 hours ago, Mycroft said:

What I want to know is if Danny2462 is in on the testing. If anyone knows how to exploit bugs it's him. AND he makes it into a hilarious video!

I guess he's in. They just can't let that opportunity zip by!

I wonder what happened to PorkJet's art pass.. I know it was being worked on, but Squad has been quite silent on that. Only things I can think of off the top of my head is that it isn't done/won't be in KSP 1.2, or it's done and they're holding back so we'll be blown away by the changes.

7 hours ago, Alshain said:

It's amazing, they do a pre-release with Steam because it has the infrastructure, and people complain it's not on the KSP store.  So they develop a way to add the infrastructure to the KSP Store and people still complain that they once did it without the KSP Store.  What do you guys want?  Time travel?

^^^^ This ... Oh so much this

6 hours ago, Alshain said:

It depends on if they do it right.  If they have already tested it, it should be much better than 1.1.  I mentioned this in your other thread, but they have to use public testing in addition to normal testing, that didn't happen in 1.1.  However this time they hired a company to test it independently, assuming that has been done, public testing should be for polish, not primary testing.  Time will tell I guess.

The public should never be the primary source of testing, that is why 1.1 testing broke down so badly.

What's your source for the idea of SQUAD not testing 1.1, or for normal testing not happening in 1.1, or for the public being the primary source of testing in 1.1? As far as I can recall from watching the updates at the time, 1.1 went through a completely normal dev cycle for SQUAD, with an internal QA pass followed by experimentals before the pre-release began. (I would further argue that the state of 1.1 was more down to how much time they took to fix things rather than how much got reported.)

We should expect any differences for 1.2 to be a result of either the third party testing company or the fact that their Unity 5 code is simply more mature by now as compared to a recent total rewrite.

1 hour ago, Angel-125 said:

I wonder what happened to PorkJet's art pass.. I know it was being worked on, but Squad has been quite silent on that. Only things I can think of off the top of my head is that it isn't done/won't be in KSP 1.2, or it's done and they're holding back so we'll be blown away by the changes.

The new devnotes has news on that at last:

Furthermore, Nestor has some exciting news about the engine parts Chris was working on previously. If you haven’t seen these parts, well… they look awesome! Unfortunately, these parts didn’t make it to this release, but we know you are excited about them and the good news is that we will be releasing these files for you to add them to your creative inventory. Go nuts and show us what parts you can build with these great 3d assets!

@NathanKell also replied:

I cannot speak to future plans. I can say that the models and textures will be released such that modders can make any desired changes, run them through PartTools, and set up cfgs for them.

It's looking like we aren't getting an art pass at all really.  The past tense wording from the dev notes tells me PorkJet is either working on another task now or not working with Squad anymore.  The fact the are releasing the assets just 'screams' that they have no plans to ever use them.

5 minutes ago, Alshain said:

The past tense wording from the dev notes tells me PorkJet is either working on another task now or not working with Squad anymore.  

99.9% sure @Porkjet is still with Squad.

5 minutes ago, TheGuyNamedAlan said:

any predicted date for pre-release?? 

Soon. (also please don't inquire about release dates)

Just now, LordFerret said:

Didn't read through this whole thread; 4 pages, TLDR ... guilty

I just would like to know if this is yet another saved game breaker; Will I have to start over again.

Not likely.  They have mentioned in the past that the antenna system, even if turned on, will not totally leave you dead... and you can turn it off.  That's really the only system that could break a save and it appears it will not.

20 minutes ago, Mycroft said:

Can somebody please assure me that the wheel hit boxes that determine whether or not they are 'blocked' are even partially fixed?

Please?

Time will tell. History has taught us to temper optimism regarding failed functionality being fixed in updates

1 hour ago, Mycroft said:

Can somebody please assure me that the wheel hit boxes that determine whether or not they are 'blocked' are even partially fixed?

Please?

I believe the issues which prompted the Wheel Blockage Workaround have been fixed, and thus the WBW has been removed.

On 9/6/2016 at 6:12 PM, Angel-125 said:

My uninformed wild guess is Porkjet followed the path of many overenthusiastic modders and built textures more appropriate for 3-parts-per-render than 300, with the resulting product very pretty but unsuitable for vanilla game.

Either that, or the new meshes have structural differences which would cause save incompatibility.

Both would explain why the assets are being released rather than incorporated into the game.

Edited by Corona688

1 hour ago, Corona688 said:

My uninformed wild guess is Porkjet followed the path of many overenthusiastic modders and built textures more appropriate for 3-parts-per-render than 300, with the resulting product very pretty but unsuitable for vanilla game.

Either that, or the new meshes have structural differences which would cause save incompatibility.

Both would explain why the assets are being released rather than incorporated into the game.

Those parts don't look overly detailed to me... poly count is probably in line with the existing parts.  Might be a tad bit higher, but not overly so.  Structural differences could well be a part of it, though it looks like those engines should still be form-factor compatible with the existing versions.  (We'll find out the answer to that when they release the assets)

I think it is more related to the new parts were built with the PBR shader in mind (see the pretty reflections on them, even the mk2-cockpit?), which they did not have time to fix/could not fix to work with the strange rendering setup KSP uses.  The different shaders have different workflows, and more importantly, texturing setups that are not mutually compatible (textures built for PBR will not work properly with the 'old' specular workflow, and vice-versa).

Of course.... it is all just speculation until one of the devs feels like spilling the beans on what really happened.  I personally would love to know if PBR-shader support is still in the pipeline, or been written off as too troublesome to integrate.

4 hours ago, Shadowmage said:

Those parts don't look overly detailed to me... poly count is probably in line with the existing parts.  Might be a tad bit higher, but not overly so.  Structural differences could well be a part of it, though it looks like those engines should still be form-factor compatible with the existing versions.  (We'll find out the answer to that when they release the assets)

So they have the same poly count as other existing parts? Damn, that's crazy, could've sworn they are much more complex than the old parts. Might be the light.

And speaking of light, PBR shading sound interesting. I certainly wouldn't mind a bit of an upgrade when it comes to lighting, makes the parts seem less like toys (or outdated graphics). Those Rockomax tanks could use some of it...

Edited by Temeter

3 minutes ago, owenmaley said:

does the probe update stop me from test flying planes(with probe cores connected?

Should affect hardly anything on Kerbin, you just need a tiny antenna on your drone and everything is fine. Or just disable it via options.

Edited by Temeter