SILLY LITTLE THINGS

SpacedCowboy

Having struts and fuel lines be dumb. I was building a skycrane for a rover, and for some reason it was saying the engines (which were right on the fuel tanks) weren't getting fuel. So I had to run fuel lines linearly, and it was very buggy and difficult. Took me nearly 10 minutes. And with struts, it's frustrating I can't strut things to fairings easily, so payloads often wobble.

Two main Menus that actually could easily fit into one. That damnable side scrolling animation! Argh! (Silly)

Always having to go to the space centre screen to get anywhere else  (Silly)

Parts that's cannot accept a surface attaching part onto their surface. (Little)

That antenna from the asteroid pack with the useless fold out architecture. (Little)

Square-flat-only structural panels (Little)

Ageing content (ok that's not silly or little, but it is a little silly)

experience? (Silly)

classes?  (Silly)

consoles? (Very little)

enough now...

14 hours ago, GregroxMun said:

What the heck did they do to Duna in 0.21? It used to be so much more interesting.

THIS! Please bring back the old Duna with its large flat areas and high sided mountain sides! Even the textures from orbit where better.. what Squad?

7 hours ago, GoSlash27 said:

I always find myself wishing for a simple autopilot with altitude and heading hold. Long distance flights to the poles and badlands suck when you have to hand-fly them at 1x warp.

Already expended my 25 likes for the day, but I wanted to second this idea . . . and most of the mods that are supposed to do this do not seem to function well (well, the ONE mod I tried anyway . . .).

On 9/6/2016 at 0:31 PM, Choctofliatrio2.0 said:

I can't strut things to fairings easily, so payloads often wobble.

If you're using stock fairings this should no longer be a problem, as payloads automatically strut to them. It's pretty robust and I've not found a case where it fails to work.

The lack of a tracking station option on the esc menu bothers me. One can go straight to it from asteroids in map view.

Speaking of map view, the way the navball isn't brought up by default (or rather there should be an option for this).

Speaking of things you have to do at the start of every mission, why is the default throttle setting two-thirds?

On September 6, 2016 at 5:06 AM, Sharpy said:

That's very non-Kerbal of you. That's a very human space program approach.

This is proper Kerbal spacecraft aesthetics:

Then the spaceplane parts need to be made "kerbal." The "kerbal" argument stopped making sense as soon as spaceplane parts looked sleek and awesome.

9 minutes ago, String Witch said:

Speaking of things you have to do at the start of every mission, why is the default throttle setting two-thirds?

It's actually 1/2 (unless you changed it, which you can now though I always forget where. There's a ModuleManager config around here somewhere that'll do it), and the given reason - in the "what's new in KSP video" that came out at the same time the setting was changed is - and this is as close to a direct quote as my brain can drum up without actually going and finding the source - is "so newbies can have fun too, right?"

Yes it's vague, makes no sense, and infuriates me. At least they gave us that option to change it.

EDIT: Found it!

Of course, a sane person will make it "1" and not "0" but hey :wink:

Edited by 5thHorseman

4 minutes ago, tater said:

Then the spaceplane parts need to be made "kerbal." The "kerbal" argument stopped making sense as soon as spaceplane parts looked sleek and awesome.

Yep. I love the spaceplane aesthetic and rockets the sane way look amazing.

4 minutes ago, 5thHorseman said:

It's actually 1/2 (unless you changed it, which you can now though I always forget where. There's a ModuleManager config around here somewhere that'll do it), and the given reason - in the "what's new in KSP video" that came out at the same time the setting was changed is - and this is as close to a direct quote as my brain can drum up without actually going and finding the source - is "so newbies can have fun too, right?"

Yes it's vague, makes no sense, and infuriates me. At least they gave us that option to change it.

Oh, so it is. For some reason I always think it's 2/3. I know a config made by Alshain, but it doesn't seem to work. Is the one you speak of an official config or something?

Edited by Guest

2 minutes ago, String Witch said:

Oh, so it is. For some reason I always think it's 2/3. I know a config made by Alshain, but it doesn't seem to work. Is the one you speak of an official config or something?

It's as "official" as any other ModuleManager config, in that it's worked for me on an otherwise stock game (but with ModuleManager installed of course).

On 9/6/2016 at 3:57 AM, Sharpy said:

RoveMate has a stupid orientation; your rover's navball will point skywards.

Default wheel orientation. WHY do all wheels in SPH spawn sideways?

Little to no visual hints which side of a probe core is "up" and which is "front".

These things yes please fix! The rover wheels in the SPH are certainly a big one, and "I would assume" to be a pretty easy fix.

On 06/09/2016 at 8:57 AM, Sharpy said:

Default wheel orientation. WHY do all wheels in SPH spawn sideways?

Probably because everything else in the SPH is being built sideways. Normal fuel tank orientation is vertical... wheels just follow the pattern of rotating 90 degrees. Not that it isn't annoying and I agree a fix would be nice, but I'm fairly sure there's a straightforward coordinate swap going on between SPH and VAB and that's why wheels do what they do :) 

Mine: exiting the game takes so long with the slow menu animations and unexpectedly long pause between KSC and the first menu. I usually save it manually, and end task because I can't be bothered going through the wait. Save+exit option from the in-game esc menu please!

1 hour ago, Choctofliatrio2.0 said:

Oh, really? I didn't know that. 

I have a different experience with stock fairings: Payloads regularly flop OUTSIDE the fairing if there are no struts attached.

Similarly, stuff clipping through cargo bay doors from the inside. AARGH!

20 hours ago, String Witch said:

Speaking of map view, the way the navball isn't brought up by default (or rather there should be an option for this).

I remember reading somewhere (I think in one of the last two devnotes) that both of these things will be added to the settings for the next update. 

Edit: Found it. It was in the notes that were on Thursday a couple weeks ago. Go to the second paragraph where it says what NathanKell has been working on. 

Sadly it doesn't mention the throttle bit like I thought, but it does say there will be a toggle for the map view navball. 

Edited by FullMetalMachinist

58 minutes ago, eddiew said:

Mine: exiting the game takes so long with the slow menu animations and unexpectedly long pause between KSC and the first menu. I usually save it manually, and end task because I can't be bothered going through the wait. Save+exit option from the in-game esc menu please!

Alt+F4. Very fast.

On 6/09/2016 at 10:55 PM, GoSlash27 said:

I always find myself wishing for a simple autopilot with altitude and heading hold. Long distance flights to the poles and badlands suck when you have to hand-fly them at 1x warp.

I thought that was due to KSP's educational focus.  :) One has to install kOS and learn some scripting for this sort of thing. A heavy nudge towards learning yet another thing... as if we lack for things to learn in KSP. :rolleyes:

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.