The v1.2 Hype Train Thread - Prerelease is Out

Whirligig Girl

15 minutes ago, 5thHorseman said:

@Laguna I'm on mobile and can't really tell what those images are showering... Could you (or anyone) describe the new feature a little?

Puff:

N8tKqXC.png

Linear RCS:

oXtwvKB.png

RCS plume:

2jVChN3.png

Can someone please ask a streamer to construct a 5-way RCS? I saw @ShadowZone do this by placing a 4-way and 1-way nearby and then translating the 1-way to the middle of the 4-way with the gizmos. It looked OK previously, and I'm curious whether it still does.

19 minutes ago, 5thHorseman said:

@Laguna I'm on mobile and can't really tell what those images are showering... Could you (or anyone) describe the new feature a little?

Fairings now have more nodes available above the upper one, placing parts on them causes a supporting rack to appear connecting the placed part to the base. Best is that multiple nodes can be used simultaneously, which is fantastic for satellite "buses" and I'm sure people will find other applications for it, too.

23 minutes ago, HebaruSan said:

I saw @ShadowZone do this by placing a 4-way and 1-way nearby and then translating the 1-way to the middle of the 4-way with the gizmos. It looked OK previously, and I'm curious whether it still does.

I do that too! HYPE FOR HOW MUCH BETTER AESTHETICALLY IT WILL LOOK!

Edit: Jeb just broke apart due to gee forces in the stream! And He also frowned!

Edit 2: The Gee Force Required to Kill An EVA Kerbal (including in command seats) is 9 Gees, but they are fine in pods with any gee force apparently.

Edited by LaytheDragon

18 minutes ago, Red Iron Crown said:

Fairings now have more nodes available above the upper one, placing parts on them causes a supporting rack to appear connecting the placed part to the base. Best is that multiple nodes can be used simultaneously, which is fantastic for satellite "buses" and I'm sure people will find other applications for it, too.

That rack also probably means you can now use them as interstage for transporting stuff. E.g. an interplanetary ship storing it's landers inside, or for dropping additional tanks after using them up.

Similar to a nuclear mars mission concept, where the craft can drop the middle tank:

254E9CD200000578-0-The_proposed_Copernic

Should be very usefull thanks to the procedural size.

Edited by Temeter

...but does it take in satellite signals? Or is it just a prop?

Either way, it makes Kerbin seem like less of a wasteland, especially if there are several of these on the planet.

Edited by Fred Cop

3 minutes ago, Bloody_looser said:

Lol, in the first screen it looks like the dish's overheating.

Oh, that's due to Mator using the ignore max temp cheat (actually, all the cheats) on his 'lil Vector-powered Mk1 pod explorer craft. :)

4 minutes ago, Fred Cop said:

...but does it take in satellite signals? Or is it just a prop?

That's one of the actual ground stations you connect with your sat/craft.

Edited by Laguna

There we go, nice new stream full of hype coal.

I for one, am so UTTERLY HYPED that I am delaying my Duna mission just to get those antennae. Also, this update will probably be less jarring then 1.1 since I have AVC this time around. No more spreadsheets for this guy.

9 minutes ago, RoverDude said:

Works for any fairing actually :wink:

Neat.

Btw, am I understanding correctly that I could make a hollow interstage fairing (with the 2 'rails'), put a docking port inside (onto the fairing base) and store ships there?

11 minutes ago, Alshain said:

On the base?

No, we're talkingabout points in the air between beginning and end of the interstage fairing.^^

@Laguna made some nice pics

Spoiler

orD2uJA.png

Although I might be wrong and they are only there during construction, not for stuff you put in there? Oo

Edited by Temeter