The v1.2 Hype Train Thread - Prerelease is Out

Whirligig Girl

1 minute ago, Temeter said:

No, we're talkingabout points in the air between beginning and end of the interstage fairing.^^

Oh, that sounds kinda strange.  But I guess you can do that already with the Move tool, I won't do that I think it's cheaty, but that is my opinion.

2 minutes ago, Alshain said:

Oh, that sounds kinda strange.  But I guess you can do that already with the Move tool

I might be wrong about them... Idk, now I'm confused. Looks cool in any way.

I won't do that I think it's cheaty, but that is my opinion.

Why would that stop you? Put 4 struts from the 'floating' cargo to the fairing base, and it looks believable.

Edited by Temeter

OK, I take it back. The antennae feature looks pretty fun. And the rest of it too, of course.

EDIT: Not the contract weighting though. The whole career is still rubbish.

Edited by Veeltch

This looks like a solid update. Can't wait to test it out. Consider me hyped.

Still think a delta-v calculator woulda helped. That's the main thing that bugs me everytime I go back to stock. I can deal with no clouds or life support or all the other awesome things mods do...but a delta-v display, its so hard for me to understand why that has never been implemented. It's soooo useful. It's like losing a leg for a foot race not knowing the delta-v or twr of the ship you're building unless you do you're own algebra. I shouldn't have to have a spreadsheet open to design a ship in a video game, dern it!

3 hours ago, Temeter said:

Man, I guess your space program just doesn't know how to strust things :D

No, it's just my perception of what a 'strut' is.  To me it's a braided steel cable, that can't stand up and support something rigidly.

3 hours ago, EliasDanger said:

This looks like a solid update. Can't wait to test it out. Consider me hyped.

Still think a delta-v calculator woulda helped. That's the main thing that bugs me everytime I go back to stock. I can deal with no clouds or life support or all the other awesome things mods do...but a delta-v display, its so hard for me to understand why that has never been implemented. It's soooo useful. It's like losing a leg for a foot race not knowing the delta-v or twr of the ship you're building unless you do you're own algebra. I shouldn't have to have a spreadsheet open to design a ship in a video game, dern it!

Being able to see periapsis and apoapsis without going to the map view would also be nice.

7 hours ago, Alshain said:

No, it's just my perception of what a 'strut' is.  To me it's a braided steel cable, that can't stand up and support something rigidly.

Really? To me they are more like rigid steel bars (see pic), fits the look better. How would a steel cable avoid being compressed?

Spoiler

H2B_TF1.jpg

Edited by Temeter

1 hour ago, Temeter said:

Really? To me they are more like rigid steel bars (see pic), fits the look better. How would a steel cable avoid being compressed?

Reveal hidden contents

H2B_TF1.jpg

Not only does it fit my impression too, but I remember Squad mentioning at some point (a long time ago in a galaxy far far away.... ) that struts do take both compression and tension loads equally.  So the analogy of a rigid bar is more accurate from that perspective. 

Just now, Zaphod12 said:

It was mentioned earlier that 1.2 pre-release will also come to KSP Store.

Nice!

btw sorry for not paying attention to what was mentioned "earlier", but I have better things to do than reading through 13 pages. (Nothing to be taken bad)

Just now, OndrikB said:

Nice!

btw sorry for not paying attention to what was mentioned "earlier", but I have better things to do than reading through 13 pages. (Nothing to be taken bad)

I was just mentioning it.

Anyways, looking forward to build relay networks.

1 hour ago, OndrikB said:

Nice!

Here's where it was first announced.

Big thanks to Squad for this awesome update!

-------------------------------------------------------------------

The Communication & Many Quality of Life stuff Update - KSP 1.2 Changes:
Community Patchnotes Collaboration by: Myslius, TheDigitalChan and others?

* KerbNet - remote control and communication for probes, multiple tracking stations (ground based) on Kerbin, new antennas, Satellite probes can bounce signals if possible/needed,       
Antenna range is calculated with this formula; Sqrt(antenna1 *antenna2)
Upgrading the Antenna-Building on Kerbin improves the range & strength
Bodies can occlude signals e.g. Kerbin, Mün, Duna, Kerbol. (Asteroids can't occlude signals yet)
* Waypoint management, Surface map with biomes, terrain, coordinates and lots of colour options
* Hibernation-mode for probes to use less electricity.(Probe still has basic functions in hibernation-mode, you can still stage, probes can't do fine-controls in this mode)
* Asteroids might have Magic boulder texture (and contain bigger ore concenteration?)
* Autostrut - ability to make invisible strut while in VAB or in flight with a button click, (Struts are shown in the VAB/SPH) (Strut options are; "On heaviest part" or "On root part"), (Stuts update during the launch), (You can see the struts if you have the option on in the Cheat-Window; under Physics, during the flight.)
* SAS no longer overshoots and no longer fights with itself
* Better patch conics - Maneuver nodes no longer disapear or flicker, closest approach markers are more reliable
* RCS sounds (More arcade-like version of reallife RCS thrusters)
* RCS Colour; Normal-Control = White puffs, Fine-Controls = Blue-ish?
* RCS effects reworked (RCS is more Puffy now)
* New model for Puff engine
* Point camera to the center of any part from context menu
* Cheats window reworked - Set orbit functionality added, hack gravity with the ability to set gravity from 0.01G to 10Gs, Whack-A-Kerbal is still there, renamed to object thrower (lame :( ). Create custom kerbals (name, choose gender, stupidity, courage, B@dAss, experience)
* Game difficulty option "Kerbals level up immediately"
* Science storage part with the ability to collect all experiments with single click, also some probes have this ability too
* Changes in Aerodynamics - pointy parts are less dragy and blunt parts are more dragy
* Aerodynamic stuff on wings are now calculated from the center of the part instead of the end of the part(Thus better calculations for planes) 
* Fairings - model changes and multiple attachment points.
* "Tons of parts" physics calculation improved
* Settings - ability not to autohide navball while switching to the map view, custom tweakables
* Kerbals die in EVA at 9Gs
* Kerbal EVA control system overhauled; WITH SAS: movement is like previous versions, WITHOUT SAS: Kerbals don't follow the direction of the camera/With the mouse you can control the kerbal more.
* Added more Kerbal names? ->cuz more devs
* UI Overhaul; fancier font, more UI options/tweakables
* BUGFIX:Kerbals on ladder don't "shift"
* More cockpits have lights and doors that shine in the dark
* (Rover)Wheels are more stable, (possibly landing gears are still iffy)
* Fuel System Overhaul - with added "fuel tank priority tweakable", visual fuel flow (including EC)
* Carreer settings are more detailed, again more tweakables, more sliders and more multipliers
* More Career missions?
* Reduced loadingscreen times, addition loading screens e.g. Boping Bob
* Ablators are no longer simulating blackhole effects
* Water physics are made better, crafts are more stable in the water
* You can no longer gain "Flying above X" eva-science while on ladders
* Hovering on parts gives a more distinct highlight of the part
* Un-added parts in the VAB and SPH are now highlighted red. (Possibly a feature in the options)
* "Communitron 16" antenna can now break off if enough force is applied
* You can now save & load in flight. (different from quicksave)
* Parachutes have the ability to "deploy instantly", "when safe" or "when risky" (With Advanced Tweakables)
* You can now disable Engine Gimbal seperatly(Roll, Pitch, Yaw) (With Advanced Tweakables)
* Rocket Landing gears no longer have a collision with kerbals(Thus fixing a bug)

NOTE: If you want the advanced tweakables, you need to turn it on in the options. Somehow it is not default
Rocket Parts overhaul has been delayed, possibly to 1.3

Edited by Myslius