The v1.2 Hype Train Thread - Prerelease is Out

Whirligig Girl

47 minutes ago, Temeter said:

Why not, are they missing in the streamed betas?

I asked because they weren't listed in the "community patchnotes" listed slightly earlier in the thread, and because they only 1.2 footage I'd seen was in sandbox mode where the changes are extremely subtle. Jimorian did a stream in career now though, and I can safely say the new models are in.

13 minutes ago, Iamsodarncool said:

I asked because they weren't listed in the "community patchnotes" listed slightly earlier in the thread, and because they only 1.2 footage I'd seen was in sandbox mode where the changes are extremely subtle. Jimorian did a stream in career now though, and I can safely say the new models are in.

I can't even tell the difference. Probably more subtle.^^

Everything seems really great! I particularly love this characters creation possibility and will definitely wait a new, more powerful computer to fully enjoy it.

But, to me, the other side of the coin is how fragile the Com 16 has become. I use it since a long time for style, using it as a pitot tube in the nose of nearly all my spacecraft but much more importantly as an aerospike like on the French M51 or U.S. Trident II SLBM :

m51.jpg Aerospike_detail.png

It was pretty important for drag reduction and heat management to me during re-entry. Just like it can be seen of this screenshot where the plasma developps a bit before the nose :

e3s2TT9.png

32 minutes ago, Andem said:

Heh... Y'know the new ground stations? Check the roof of the Tier-Two VAB. Same model and textures. Come on, SQUAD. Really? :mad:

New textures at the very least. Come on.

You mean it looks like the same people that build the VAB did also build the ground stations?

Fine with me.

I'm curious to see if the new ground stations improve with upgrading the tracking station, what their range is, and whether they are considered "biomes" for science collection.

Best,
-Slashy

50 minutes ago, Andem said:

Heh... Y'know the new ground stations? Check the roof of the Tier-Two VAB. Same model and textures. Come on, SQUAD. Really? :mad:

Andem,
 Why would they be different? Wouldn't it make sense for KASA to use standardized equipment for their remote stations? (Incidentally), I have reason to believe that each remote ground station has a unique name, and the names assigned are, themselves, easter eggs.

Best,
-Slashy

Edited by GoSlash27

1 hour ago, Andem said:

Actually, reusing assets and textures when it's appropriate is a great way to add content with less work and without risk of introducing weird bugs. I personally laud it.

Edited by 5thHorseman

45 minutes ago, cfds said:

You mean it looks like the same people that build the VAB did also build the ground stations?

Fine with me.

32 minutes ago, GoSlash27 said:

Andem,
 Why would they be different? Wouldn't it make sense for KASA to use standardized equipment for their remote stations? (Incidentally), I have reason to believe that each remote ground station has a unique name, and the names assigned are, themselves, easter eggs.

Best,
-Slashy

So it's a problem when they use the same models on the tier two tracking station and that's "being lazy," but no issue if they do it again? Alright.

ESA_s_15m_tracking_station_Perth_Austral10363000206_faa0c3ef8d_b.jpg16_big.jpg699814main_Bermuda_Site1.jpg

Honestly, is asking for a little bit of variety some deep insult or a crime of some sort?

1 hour ago, Andem said:

I wasn't expecting models at all, to be honest, so it's a nice bonus.

4 minutes ago, 5thHorseman said:

Actually, reusing assets and textures when it's appropriate is a great way to add content with less work and without risk of introducing weird bugs. I personally laud it.

See above.

Edited by Andem

10 minutes ago, Andem said:

So it's a problem when they use the same models on the tier two tracking station and that's "being lazy,"

Did I say it was? I'm fine with it.

10 minutes ago, Andem said:

Honestly, is asking for a little bit of variety some deep insult or a crime of some sort?

Did I say it was? I'm fine with that too.

Your responses here raise a similar question in my mind: Is failure to share your disapproval of certain visual aspects of this game some deep insult or a crime of some sort?

Best,
-Slashy

Edited by GoSlash27

4 minutes ago, Andem said:

Not at all. Hopefully they'll do it, even. But IMO putting the time into that instead of releasing would just delay the game a few weeks. Would that ruin my life? Of course not, but neither will all the ground stations (that I'll not even visit all of) having the same models.

1 minute ago, GoSlash27 said:

Did I say it was?

There are about a hundred threads involved with "Career Mode Fixes" that, at one point or another, called SQUAD lazy for reusing Tier 1 TS Assets on the Tier Two version as well. So, a decent chunk of the community seems to think so.

5 minutes ago, 5thHorseman said:

Not at all. Hopefully they'll do it, even. But IMO putting the time into that instead of releasing would just delay the game a few weeks. Would that ruin my life? Of course not, but neither will all the ground stations (that I'll not even visit all of) having the same models.

I'm not saying that either, but it was definitely disappointing to just see the same model and textures reused in such a boring way.

3 minutes ago, Andem said:

There are about a hundred threads involved with "Career Mode Fixes" that, at one point or another, called SQUAD lazy for reusing Tier 1 TS Assets on the Tier Two version as well. So, a decent chunk of the community seems to think so.

Well... I'm not among them. so that whole argument is lost on me. :wink:

Best,
-Slashy

Using the same model for all the stations makes sense to me.

IRL why would you spend time and resources designing multiple different things to do an identical job, especially as part of the same project,  when you have a design that performs well.    Ok if they were being built over a period of several years or more then later ones may well incorporate newer tech so be a different design, but you wouldn't normally change the design for the sake of it. The only variety would come with their locations and possibly associated construction difficulties . 

1 minute ago, pandaman said:

IRL why would you spend time and resources designing multiple different things to do an identical job, especially as part of the same project,  when you have a design that performs well.    Ok if they were being built over a period of several years or more then later ones may well incorporate newer tech so be a different design, but you wouldn't normally change the design for the sake of it. The only variety would come with their locations and possibly associated construction difficulties . 

Exactly my thinking. Streamlined service parts, bulk discount on the equipment, single R&D effort.

Best,
-Slashy

1 hour ago, GoSlash27 said:

...I have reason to believe that each remote ground station has a unique name, and the names assigned are, themselves, easter eggs.

I know it hasn't been proven or stated as true, but if the Ground stations were named after each SQUAD member who left the team, I'd be over the Moon.

1 minute ago, Fred Cop said:

I know it hasn't been proven or stated as true, but if the Ground stations were named after each SQUAD member who left the team, I'd be over the Moon.

Well, there's five of them. In order of most recently left, that'd be:

• Kasper
  • Ted
  • Dan
  • Felipe
  • Max

That's a really good idea though. I hope it turns out to be the case.

7 minutes ago, Iamsodarncool said:

Well, there's five of them. In order of most recently left, that'd be:

• Kasper
  • Ted
  • Dan
  • Felipe
  • Max

That's a really good idea though. I hope it turns out to be the case.

You're right! Maybe a small memorial at each with their Kerbal from Kerbalizer.

24 minutes ago, pandaman said:

I was under the impression that you would unlock other sites as you upgraded the KSC... I appear to be (unfortunately) mistaken. :( Now I'm even more disappointed.

7 minutes ago, Andem said:

I was under the impression that you would unlock other sites as you upgraded the KSC... I appear to be (unfortunately) mistaken. :( Now I'm even more disappointed.

That would be cool but annoying.

15 minutes ago, Andem said:

I was under the impression that you would unlock other sites as you upgraded the KSC... I appear to be (unfortunately) mistaken.

Andem,
 If you didn't have that ground network, you'd lose control of your probes shortly after they go over the horizon from KSC.

16 minutes ago, Andem said:

Now I'm even more disappointed.

Perhaps you're not familiar with how this whole "hype train" thing works...

Best,
-Slashy

Edited by GoSlash27

7 minutes ago, GoSlash27 said:

Andem,
 If you didn't have that ground network, you'd lose control of your probes shortly after they go over the horizon from KSC.

Best,
-Slashy

Exactly. I was under the impression that there were certain areas in an equatorial LKO where you would temporarily lose communication. The tier two setup would patch the holes in the system and add some comms for polar orbit, and the tier three would patch all of the holes in the ground system.

--EDIT--

Also, no. @RoverDude has stated that you still have control, just limited abilities (binary throttle control, no ASAS, etc.)

Edited by Andem