The v1.2 Hype Train Thread - Prerelease is Out

Whirligig Girl

Anyone else excited about the 'open immediately', 'open when safe' and 'open when risky' parachute settings?

Seems like it should make reentry and air-drops easier.

How about the new 'science container' functionality?

8 minutes ago, marcello639 said:

from steam disappeared 1.1 pre-release, yesterday was there. Preparing for 1.2 pre-release... 

And bugs from tracker with the Prerelease category just got changed to Prerelease Archive. I'm sensing Prerelease tomorrow ...

1 hour ago, Terwin said:

Anyone else excited about the 'open immediately', 'open when safe' and 'open when risky' parachute settings?

Seems like it should make reentry and air-drops easier.

How about the new 'science container' functionality?

We recently made "Open when safe" the default option, after feedback over the weekend.

9 hours ago, Riisos said:

Too bad Mexico City Dominos are all closed or we could try to send Squad a late night pizza, we still owe them one (or several) from like .25 or something. This still needs to be done, and we need to demand that they arrange the toppings into Kerbals using jalapenos and olives or something.

We actually tried that before, in the end the Squad staff said they would prefer you give the money to a reputable charity (many forum members recommended Child's Play because of it's gaming nature however Squad does not endorse any particular charity that I am aware of).

13 minutes ago, Arsonide said:

We recently made "Open when safe" the default option, after feedback over the weekend.

*sigh* guess I'll have to mod it back.  I do understand the reasoning though.

Edited by Alshain

24 minutes ago, Arsonide said:

17 minutes ago, Mycroft said:

Yay! Now I can finally put parachutes on my boosters!

Great new function! This can bring the milliseconds that make the difference between crash or land on hard reentrys :D

But does this work on debris too (for example reusable boosters), or only on the active vessel?

15 minutes ago, Temeter said:

Oh Alshain, stop being so grumpy about everything :D

I'm not grumpy about it, but a change like that means I won't be able to do any pre-release playing before module manager is compatible.  I don't want to have to go through and click every parachute on my craft.  That would be insane.

It's just that a change like this takes the challenge out of the game.  They seem to be growing closer and closer to stock MechJeb.

Edited by Alshain

3 minutes ago, Alshain said:

I'm not grumpy about it, but a change like that means I won't be able to do any pre-release playing before module manager is compatible.  I don't want to have to go through and click every parachute on my craft.  That would be insane.

Technically, you only need it do with the crafts you wanna launch. :wink:

But for real, what's the issue with the 'open when safe'? It's even standard procedure for stuff like realchutes in RO.

1 minute ago, SmashingKirby148 said:

Back from school, anything happen?

Nope.

Just now, Temeter said:

But for real, what's the issue with the 'open when safe'? It's even standard procedure for stuff like realchutes in RO.

It takes away gameplay.  If I wanted the game to play the game for me, I would go play Orbiter.

I want the possibility that I will screw up and deploy the parachutes at the wrong time, a game with no challenge isn't much of a game.

45 minutes ago, Arsonide said:

There's one ModuleManager config I don't have to make before even loading the game for the first time.

Yes, I was planning on doing it even if ModuleManager hadn't yet been updated.

6 minutes ago, Alshain said:

It's just that a change like this takes the challenge out of the game.  They seem to be growing closer and closer to stock MechJeb.

Wow it's cool to see our different reactions to things we don't like in such close vicinity.

Just now, Alshain said:

It takes away gameplay.  If I wanted the game to play the game for me, I would go play Orbiter.

I want the possibility that I will screw up and deploy the parachutes at the wrong time, a game with no challenge isn't much of a game.

While I do understand this viewpoint, as it was the original reason for "Immediate" being the default, this was very much in the minority in the feedback we received.

4 minutes ago, Alshain said:

I don't see it that way, I see it as taking away tedium. You can already set the parachutes to open when it will be safe by setting the deploy pressure higher. This just makes it so you don't have to remember to go through and do that to every 'chute, every time. 

1 minute ago, Arsonide said:

While I do understand this viewpoint, as it was the original reason for "Immediate" being the default, this was very much in the minority in the feedback we received.

Well, it would be nice if we could choose our preference without a module manager patch.  I just don't know if that is possible on a tweakable.  The issue is not that it's there, it's that on any sufficiently large craft, changing it on every single parachute is annoying.  Even on small craft, remembering to change it every single time you build a craft is annoying.  This is probably the biggest pitfall to using tweakables.

1 minute ago, FullMetalMachinist said:

I don't see it that way, I see it as taking away tedium. You can already set the parachutes to open when it will be safe by setting the deploy pressure higher. This just makes it so you don't have to remember to go through and do that to every 'chute, every time. 

Well to me it adds tedium of going in and turning it off on every parachute.

@Arsonide  Honestly though, a serious suggestion (maybe I should put this in the suggestion forums) would be to have a way to right click on a part in the VAB GUI and set a global default for all it's tweakables.  Then every time you grab a new one of that part, it would take those settings and apply them.

9 minutes ago, Alshain said:

I see what you're saying, but after playing hundreds - maybe thousands - of hours of KSP, it really just becomes a bit of a chore. Most of the time I'm only opening my parachutes just above the ground to speed up my landing anyway, so the matter doesn't even come up. :cool:

Of course with duna as an exception. That place can actually be quiet tricky since it got a thinner atmosphere (which is interesting!).

5 minutes ago, Alshain said:

Well, it would be nice if we could choose our preference without a module manager patch.  I just don't know if that is possible on a tweakable.  The issue is not that it's there, it's that on any sufficiently large craft, changing it on every single parachute is annoying.  Even on small craft, remembering to change it every single time you build a craft is annoying.  This is probably the biggest pitfall to using tweakables.

Imagine we could right click parts on the part list, and then get a box to the right of the info window to set up the default tweakable setting for every single of this part added.~

Would be one way to go about it. Of course gets a bit iffy how to save those standard settings. Losing all of them would be annoying too.