The v1.2 Hype Train Thread - Prerelease is Out

Whirligig Girl

4 hours ago, steve_v said:

Of course. Furiously submitting more as I type this.

It would appear the 'aim camera' bug is on the tracker too, surprise surprise. :P

I was until recently, now I'm only playing for testing purposes. 1.0.5 is too slow, and 1.1.3 is too crashy.

1.2 is looking like a better prospect, time for more testing.
Lets see if SQUAD actually fix the bugs we raise in the prerelease... this time.

Connecting mining vehicles together via docking ports requires landing gear to operate as they should. Simply retracting and then extending the gear should not bounce the vehicle up into the air. Please test this further not just on the runway, but on the grass as well. Now is the time to fix this while the devs are listening and working on the problem. By the time I get my hands on the game to test, they will already be on vacation or something.

This video illustrates the problem

https://vid.me/S3C6

Edited by Otis

1 hour ago, Temeter said:

(simple mk1 pod crashes into ground despite 500m opening height).

I thought this was something they changed back in v1.0.x. The mk16 took longer to open than it used to and needed more than 500m of altitude to do so - hence the default got changed to 1km (I set it to 800m to save a bit of waiting). There were a spate of crashes/hard landings of vessels built in previous versions due to this.

2 minutes ago, ElWanderer said:

I thought this was something they changed back in v1.0.x. The mk16 took longer to open than it used to and needed more than 500m of altitude to do so - hence the default got changed to 1km (I set it to 800m to save a bit of waiting). There were a spate of crashes/hard landings of vessels built in previous versions due to this.

Nah, it works perfectly fine without physics warp. You can sometimes even go lower.

19 minutes ago, Otis said:

Connecting mining vehicles together via docking ports requires landing gear to operate as they should. Simply retracting and then extending the gear should not bounce the vehicle up into the air. Please test this further not just on the runway, but on the grass as well. Now is the time to fix this while the devs are listening and working on the problem. By the time I get my hands on the game to test, they will already be on vacation or something.

This video illustrates the problem

https://vid.me/S3C6

Why shouldn't extending the gear do that? It has to be strong enough to lift the vehicle up onto the gear in Kerbin gravity. Here you're using it on the Mun. What did you expect?

Just now, Temeter said:

Nah, it works perfectly fine without physics warp. You can sometimes even go lower.

I'm not that steely-eyed, I'm afraid!

If physics warp is making a difference, is your impact velocity different or is it that the game is calculating a harder impact due to being in warp? Heck, it could be a bit of both.

11 minutes ago, ElWanderer said:

I'm not that steely-eyed, I'm afraid!

I'm a bit impatient when it comes to reenterting :D

If physics warp is making a difference, is your impact velocity different or is it that the game is calculating a harder impact due to being in warp? Heck, it could be a bit of both.

No, I'm certain this was an actual issue with them opening, the speed degrads fast enough normally. I'm always quicksaving during reentry, so I could try it multiple times.

But doing the same in my sandbox install, starting with a small missile from the launcpad, I just can't reproduce the issue despite having it after multiple missions. Here it survives every time, just as it should...

Guess I need to check an actualy reentry, and then maybe make a ticket if I'm able to reproduce it.

Edited by Temeter

31 minutes ago, Saaur said:

Why shouldn't extending the gear do that? It has to be strong enough to lift the vehicle up onto the gear in Kerbin gravity. Here you're using it on the Mun. What did you expect?

The gear did not do this in older versions. This behavior is new. I had to modify the .cfg file to get the gear that stable. Before I modified the .cfg file, the gear were simply exploding. There should not be this much stress applied immediately to the leg, that is assuming the legs are simulating a hydraulic system. In such a system in the real world, one can design safety features into the system to keep it from exploding or applying to much pressure all at once. Now, if the devs are happy with the gear as is, fine, I have no problem with that. But, at least give me the tools and information to quickly modify the .cfg file to suit my needs. Here is what I'm talking about :

suspensionSpring = 1.25
        suspensionDamper = 1
        suspensionOffset = 0, 0.02,0

Now, these are parameters from an old version, 1.02. I currently don't have anything newer available, but it still illustrates what I want. I want to know what each parameter affects. An entry in the wiki somewhere would be fine, an entry that tells what each parameter in the landing leg .cfg file does and a range of expected values. Then I can make my own specialized legs for whatever I need. That is what I expect.

\

Edited by Otis

On 06/09/2016 at 0:30 AM, GregroxMun said:

[Stream]: Upgradeable parts in Career? (This is a modding possibility, not in stock.)

Well, if you installed the new Porkjet parts, in career, you have a techtree's node that upgrade those engines

2 things - sound and sas are sooooooo much better. Thank you. I've been waiting for so long for just these 2 things to improve, especially the sound. The main reason I have been installing KER right away is because I haven't been able to hear engine sounds in the map view that clue me in to when a stage runs out of fuel. No more. The map view audio is working again. And the sas will hold a pod on vector without shaking and wobbling all the electricity out of the pod. These 2 things alone make this prerelease the best version since like .20. I don't even care about the legs anymore, but I have hope they are better also. Congratulations Squad. I think you have turned the corner. Way to stick to it. I am so happy right now I can't even put it into words.

3 minutes ago, Kryten 2X4B 523P said:

Not sure if anyone else has mentioned it, but the Mobile Processing Lab appears to have a "Level Crew" option now.

And - all the crewed cockpit modules have lights now. The lander cans are especially nice as the doors also light up.

But the Lab STILL doesn't have lights. I cri evry tiem. ;.;

23 hours ago, kball said:

Off topic, but I'm pretty sure Gemini had long stretches of radio blackout. I think they only had comms while within the range of the stations on that map.

Just did a little research and looks like until a satellite network went up in 1980ish, all LEO mission's comms were subject to being out of range of the network at various points in their orbits.

Yep, until the TDRS network was deployed even the early shuttle flights had gaps in communication.

15 hours ago, Fred Cop said:

A fun little feature for Cinematic KSP video creators; there is an 'Aim Camera' option.

To enable it, go to Settings and enable "Advanced Tweakables" (for those wondering, this option gives you control over fuel flow). Now, when you are flying a plane or rocket you can right-click a part, select 'Aim Camera' and the selected part becomes the center point for the camera (a lot like how the Center Of Mass is the camera's center point).

So if you go on EVA, then select 'Aim Camera' on a craft...

6yoL151.jpg

9c3RvUb.jpg

You can walk and Jetpack around without the camera aimed at you, allowing you to create some interesting pictures or video footage!

(Just make sure you don't fly out of the camera's range, and lose your Kerbal forever)

Good to hear about the "Aim Camera" option as getting just the right angle on a pair or vehicles or an EVA'er and a vehicle could be quite a pain. Looking forward to taking that for a spin.

11 hours ago, Majorjim! said:

No more micro vibrations causing the craft to move slowly across the ground?

So no more landing on a slight slope, wait for the chutes to cut, then watching your lander ski slowly down to less challenging terrain... oh happy day :D

4 minutes ago, purpleivan said:

Yep, until the TDRS network was deployed even the early shuttle flights had gaps in communication.

Yeah, I've only peeked at the comm net in 1.2, but my first impression was that the Kerbin-wide tracking stations are OP so I might limit myself to just KSC. I thought it might be fun to set up a ground based network, but I guess there's no game mechanics/parts for that purpose and a small satellite relay network around Kerbin quickly makes it unnecessary.

Regardless, incredibly excited to start playing with it.

13 minutes ago, lajoswinkler said:

Is the communication link supposed to go through a substantial part of Kerbin's lithosphere? I don't like that, but other than that, I like this addition to the game. Well done, Squad.

There is an occlusion slider in advanced difficulty (? somewhere).

They set an extra slider for bodies with an atmosphere to simulate reflection of the signal at different atmosphere layers.

47 minutes ago, lajoswinkler said:

Is the communication link supposed to go through a substantial part of Kerbin's lithosphere? I don't like that, but other than that, I like this addition to the game. Well done, Squad.

It isn't. There is a deep space network, which relays signals from space over Kerbin's surface. They don't simulate it quite perfectly, but there are actually antennae all over Kerbin.