The v1.2 Hype Train Thread - Prerelease is Out

Whirligig Girl

Build 1532.

Rudimentary Mun rocket, no external antenna, Valentina piloting. When Kerbin goes below the Mun's horizon, the spacecraft becomes unresponsive. I was under the impression that kerbal pilots should be able to fly the spacecraft independently of a communications link to KSP. Is this correct?

36 minutes ago, Bedwyr said:

Build 1532.

Rudimentary Mun rocket, no external antenna, Valentina piloting. When Kerbin goes below the Mun's horizon, the spacecraft becomes unresponsive. I was under the impression that kerbal pilots should be able to fly the spacecraft independently of a communications link to KSP. Is this correct?

a wild NK appears.

TRACKER IT. With save, repro, all that jazz. In the latest pre.

11 minutes ago, NathanKell said:

a wild NK appears.

TRACKER IT. With save, repro, all that jazz. In the latest pre.

NK?

Sorry. Jargon and all that. If it may be a bug, I'll have to reproduce it myself again in case it's simply a transient. I'll see if the editor can do it.

Also, for clarity, what is supposed to be the behavior?

Edit: er, Alt+F12 should work for debug, right? It's not popping up for me.

Edited by Bedwyr
clarification

Ok, I replicated it, but I need clarification on whether this is a bug or an expected feature.

*Should* a spacecraft still be controllable when out of CommNet range when there is a live Kerbal or Kerbal pilot controlling it? If not, then nevermind. It's working as expected (even though I didn't expect it). If so, then I have launched both Jeb and Valentina to Munar distance with degraded comm operation and was unable to control their spacecraft. I *was* able to create maneuver nodes, but I could not control attitude of the spacecraft or throttle engines up. SAS is ghosted as happens with probes.

I was expecting the ship to be controllable because there's no documentation and all the existing material refers only to probes.

Can someone confirm this is expected or not?

A spacecraft with a pilot in a control class module will still have full control of the craft regardless of comms.

If you have them sitting in a passenger container (like the hitchhiker) and you have a probe core as the main control (or an empty command module) and you are out of comms range, you have limited control capabilities.

What it sounds like to me is that you ran out of battery power. When that happens it doesn't matter who's in control of the ship or how good comms are. You're dead in space. Time to suit up a rescue mission, with plenty of solar panels and batteries just to be sure. :)

Edited by Xyrus

3 hours ago, Bedwyr said:

NK?

I believe in this case that stands for "NathanKell" :D

3 hours ago, Bedwyr said:

Also, for clarity, what is supposed to be the behavior?

The expected behavior is that Val can continue controlling the craft, if the only thing that happened is it went out of comms range.

I am such an idiot. It took a third trip and a closer glance at the screenshot I took. I was still in time acceleration.

I'll go hide now. 

Still can't get debug to show up though.

Edited by Bedwyr

On 29.9.2016 at 4:39 AM, 5thHorseman said:

I believe in this case that stands for "NathanKell" :D

The expected behavior is that Val can continue controlling the craft, if the only thing that happened is it went out of comms range.

If you have an scientist in pod and an probe the scientist can still control the craft, use the probes sas function and do controlled burns. Nodes are locked however.  

1 hour ago, Jorge_slc said:

So... unless there is a surprise friday release (highly unlikely) the hype train will march on through the cold weekend until it reaches its destination on...  Tueday?

we shall see

25462822.jpg

No, it's going to be released at 6pm BST today.

My pet unicorn told me, so it must be true. 

2 hours ago, Jorge_slc said:

18 minutes ago, Jorge_slc said:

Yup, release will be at 6pm,

but on Minmus time...  so next week Tuesday on Kerbin the earliest... :(

Your maths aren't quite right I think.

If we are talking Minmus time then 1.2 release time would be...let me see...allow for the leap year...retrograde progression of Eve...remember the time dilation...examine entrails...carry the one...I make it about 6pm tonight...or just after tea time on Thursday June 12th 1942...whichever is more often. 

Edited by Foxster

Just now, jrolson said:

Hoping it releases today so I can play through the weekend.  :confused:

+1 on that.  On the other hand, I have a banked day I can claim at any time.  I thought about taking it this week as it's crazy busy at work, but keeping it for KSP release if it releases in the coming week :)