The v1.2 Hype Train Thread - Prerelease is Out

Whirligig Girl

36 minutes ago, legoclone09 said:

I personally love the new engines after seeing them in-game. I also found some concepts on r/kerbalspaceprogram (I believe community made). I'd love to have these!

iINdJyL.jpg

EDIT: Me having a brain checked again and these are in the PartOverhauls.zip Porkjet released. They look stunning @Porkjet!

Really like these revised parts. Only a few are in the Porkjet download for the moment, but I like the art style and balance direction for the whole set. Looks like the Poodle will be two vacuum-optimized LVT-15s.

I definetly love the new engine shapes.:rolleyes:
Bill was amazed when he realized his glory minilander grew bigger nozzles over night:

"...?!?...   ...JeeEEEEB!!!!..."

NmU3EXr.png

Edited by Mikki
!:D

25 minutes ago, Slam_Jones said:

Always excited for a new version!  This is the only time I've remembered to back up my current Modded game so I can still play until the mods come out for 1.2.

However, this is somewhat worrying...

I have installs and mods for said installs back to 0.24.2.

...but I'm a crazy person.

19 hours ago, Theysen said:

The new rocket parts look perfectly fine ingame to me. Really really nice work! (Of course this is a separate install just to drop the download inside of it, won't bother testing the game on it :) )

9ZJsdGk.png

My parts definitely did not look like this when i just opened up 1.2 today at lunch. Is this a mod for 1.2 already? or am i missing a setting somehwere? That command module, LFO tank and engine look amazing. 

Edit: Never mind, I found porkjets file for the overhauled parts. 

Thank you,

Leafy

Edited by Leafbaron

2 hours ago, Norcalplanner said:

Really like these revised parts. Only a few are in the Porkjet download for the moment, but I like the art style and balance direction for the whole set. Looks like the Poodle will be two vacuum-optimized LVT-15s

Looks like it was partly inspired by the Titan Transtage.  It's such a vast improvement over the current Poodle, an a horrid abomination so bad that I've banned it from my KSP. :)

Okay, I know I've said that I hated the idea of these new engine parts...

...but now that I've tried them out...

4JaFbBP.jpg

...and Holy Kraken they look AWESOME!

Also I love the idea of different variants of rocket engines; versions which are "standard", "shielded" and "barebones" (I don't know the actual terms, but that is what I'd call them).

26 minutes ago, Laguna said:

Looks like it was partly inspired by the Titan Transtage.  It's such a vast improvement over the current Poodle, an a horrid abomination so bad that I've banned it from my KSP. :)

I like the form factor and stats of the Poodle enough that I've put up with looking at it, but this will certainly improve things.

26 minutes ago, Norcalplanner said:

I like the form factor and stats of the Poodle enough that I've put up with looking at it, but this will certainly improve things.

hate the Poodle. Porkjet's concept looks stunning and I love it. I think rocket revamp is going to be 1.3, as well as mesh switching (also implies stat switching in picture), and I think it should be out by early next year. (February?)

On 9/11/2016 at 5:01 PM, RoverDude said:

Since there seems to be some confusion in this thread.

Kerbin has a planet wide DSN.  Heck, we had a planet wide network in time for Mercury.  Losing comms with our vessels (other than things like occlusion by other planetary bodies) simply is not a thing in real life, and it's not a thing for our Kerbals.

There are sufficient built in tracking centers to ensure a probe will never lose contact with Kerbin if they can see Kerbin (i.e. are not occluded by another planetary body).  The power of these tracking centers upgrades with your KSC TC level.  

For those that forgot that planet-wide networks were a thing even in the early days of manned spaceflight, observe the MSFN in all of it's glory.

Mercury_Tracking_Network_2.png

Off topic, but I'm pretty sure Gemini had long stretches of radio blackout. I think they only had comms while within the range of the stations on that map.

Just did a little research and looks like until a satellite network went up in 1980ish, all LEO mission's comms were subject to being out of range of the network at various points in their orbits.

Amazing job from everyone at squad, porkjet and every contributor, this just keeps getting better and better!

Just hope a thread I read somewhere about micro transactions and buying upgrades it's not true, or I'll keep on 1.1.3! 

Too bad RL and wife don't allow me to enjoy this game as much as I did before... :(

22 minutes ago, KerbMav said:

Wait a minute, I thought the part pack was incomplete, and now I seem to understand that there are changes and functioning cfg files, even using upgradability?

Only those parts are finished, not all of them in the image I pasted.

Btw, engines with fuelpods like the 909 also have some fuel built in! Interesting.

1 hour ago, KerbMav said:

Wait a minute, I thought the part pack was incomplete, and now I seem to understand that there are changes and functioning cfg files, even using upgradability?

Yep, sounded to me as well as if they come without configs, yet they are fully config and even have upgrade-stats!

I think their numbers are still a bit WIP tho. Quite usuable, but I wouldn't rely on them to stay the same tilll 1.3.

I can move the science results screen!

it was always annoying having the science results a little up and to the left of center screen, and not moveable, but in 1.2 not only is is properly centered when it opens but I CAN MOVE IT OUT OF THE WAY!

Those poor kerbals in my 1.1 game, en route from Pol to Val and harvesting fuel on Gilly, they really hoped to get home some day...

I like the engines overhaul in concept as much as anyone, but I hope that Reddit picture doesn't represent the final rulings on selection and appearance. For one, I think a few of those (just a few) are redundant, and I really hope the Poodle doesn't morph into a 2-nozzle engine or it'll outmode my current Tylo lander designs :\

Man, there are soooooo many small and big improvements in this update.

For example, performance: Specifically the aero FX was killing your fps in the last patch, but where a stratolancher crossing mach speed caused me to drop to 13fps and sometimes lower, I'm now staying around 60.

Or the lighting, which is much smoother.

Much more pleasant fonts.

Shorter loading and scene transition times.

Save and load option in menu (still gona use hotkeys tho :P ).

Countless of those little changes, probably forgot most of them already...

Off topic, but I'm pretty sure Gemini had long stretches of radio blackout. I think they only had comms while within the range of the stations on that map.

Just did a little research and looks like until a satellite network went up in 1980ish, all LEO mission's comms were subject to being out of range of the network at various points in their orbits.

Until very recently, Soyuz flights experienced extended radio blackouts. The last Soyuz modification finally includes a satellite link system, but that's a brand new thing. Blackouts are annoying but are not a huge problem in real life ('nauts have flight plans and procedures ; probes have programs that can run 'alone' most of the time).

The store worked fine for me. Make sure you look below those buttons at the little links to the Windows x86 and x64 builds.

And speaking of aerodynamics, are other people noticing that the souposphere is far less present in 1.2? Is there a discussion about this going on somewhere, or is it in the patch notes?