[WIP] Hermes Interplanetary Vehicle from "The Martian" CONTINUED

Jasseji

Hermes Interplanetary Spacecraft

This mod is intended to re-create the fantastic Hermes Spacecraft from the movie "The Martian"
Original work by @xxhansonmaxx and @OrbitalEscape

qAIRs6H.jpg

Hello,
me and @Wragie have taken on ourselves to continue this mod as the original Authors released it to the Public due to Real Life issues.

At the moment we are focusing on designing/configuring a way to bring the MAV itself to Duna via a mixed Powered/Parachute approach.
This will include some re-modelling of the MAV itself in order to fit recessed Chutes.
As this is only a repack at the moment, the Roadmap is pretty much open and we are looking to the community for suggestions on where to proceed with this.

ToDo List/Roadmap
- Design/Concepts: Come up with a viable Duna-delivery Method for the MAV (based on real-life Mars Excursion Module Concepts)
- IVA: Re-Design MAV IVA to fit with what we see on Screen
- BugFix: MDV Heat-Shield has no collider, this has to be fixed obviously
- IVA: Design and Model Hermes Ring IVA'a with specific Roles assigned to parts (suggestions on Part roles include a Gym and Rec Area with KeepFit/Kerbalism Integration in the Rotating Ring)
- IVA: Command Module IVA
- New Parts: Single-Part Ring (will require re-texturing the Multi-Part ring itself first perhaps

Required Mods:
- Infernal Robotics

Recommended Mods:
- RealChute

Download:
https://github.com/Jasseji/HermesMartian/releases

CRAFT Files:

https://github.com/Jasseji/HermesMartian

Changelog:

Spoiler

---------------------------------------
v0.1 Repack with Included MAV

At this moment we take any suggestions, we will be updating as often we can on the Process

LICENSE: CC BY-NC 4.0

Edited by Jasseji

Added MAV with RealChute to Github Repo, the RealChute Stack Chute is clipped inside the capsule until we can decide where the chutes actually go on the model.

This approach Requires adding some kind of deorbit/deceleration engine - i used a LV-T45 Swivel with two X-200 fuel tanks for that, maybe some kind of deorbit stage will be implemented in future (The Movie/Book doesn't describe anything here)

RealChute is REQUIRED for this to work !!!

Landing the MAV goes as follows:

Deorbit and fine-tune for a 10-15km Pe

Arm Parachutes

Speed at 35km should be less than 600m/s - by whatever means

Drogue Chutes Pre-Deploy at 30km above Ground with full Deployment at 15km

Discard your Deorbit/Deceleration Stage

At 12km Main Chutes go into Pre-Deployment with full Deployment at 1,5km

At this moment fire the landing engines wait until ~150m above ground, deploy gear and use the Landing Stage to Touch-Down at 5-10m/s

If someone has a better approach, feel free to help out here :wink:

This is my first Time trying to land such a heavy craft on Duna so at the moment i dont have any other idea

6 hours ago, xxhansonmaxx said:

Awesome! Glad to see someone willing to continue it! Keep it up man :)

Thanks, I need to get all of the model files sorted which you put out :D

Btw, i think the Solar Panels Textures are broken, any chance you could have a look if you have any version which is textured ?

If not, i will have to redo them :wink:

Edited by Jasseji

8 hours ago, Sochin said:

Needs some craft files to work off, how are you separating the individual stages of the MAV as per the film?

The craft files are included on github, i have also added a separator based on the Hermes docking port model - the example .craft has those included already and staging should be set up correctly

5 hours ago, Sochin said:

You might want to check that as there are no CRAFT files in the download.

Edit:

You have them in the source code download not the v0_1.zip file

The craft files are in the main Github repository:

https://github.com/Jasseji/HermesMartian

Will edit the OP to point that out, it's easier for me to change the separated files in the repo than to update the release itself, hence this approach

You should fix the MAV's landing legs. They have no traction, so it just skated down the 4 degree incline for about 10 km before I ragequitted. That's after editing the weight, counter-thrusting, and deploying chutes. It seems that once it starts, there's no stopping it.

You should also try to come up with some pre-supply probes. They sent a half-dozen or so there ahead of time to bring base supplies. I think a good thing to branch from is the Copernicus/Constellation program landers. They had rovers and supplies.

Guys, i know about the landing gear, the MDV Heatshield and a list of other bugs - i am getting a new laptop next week, at the moment have only an office machine and it's taking ages to get something done in Unity/Modeller

Frustrated actually because i cant do anything now :P

I am taking votes for priorities at the moment, the landing gear seems as highest i believe

• 2 weeks later...

I was really sad and then really happy to see this continue. Such awesome work should never be abandoned. Obviously everyone understands and real life ALWAYS Trumps kerbal life but this quality of work would have been a huge loss. Good Luck and keep up the good work.

• 4 weeks later...

Ha ! but for me Real Life caught up as well :D

had a Baby born in July, turned out to be more challenging than i thought - it's getting better now so hope to get some work done on this mod soon[tm]

Edit: i believe someone else with more time is already working on an adaptation

Edited by Jasseji

6 minutes ago, Jasseji said:

had a Baby born in July, turned out to be more challenging than i thought - it's getting better now so hope to get some work done on this mod soon[tm]

Enjoy the sleep regression :P

On ‎17‎.‎10‎.‎2016 at 9:26 PM, Jasseji said:

Ha ! but for me Real Life caught up as well :D

Edit: i believe someone else with more time is already working on an adaptation

Congratz to the Baby.

When where who is adapting the ship? rumors?

• 2 weeks later...

I seem to have an issues: when trying to  load the craft file for the Hermes, I  get an error message saying "Craft Loading Error, Craft Hermes was not loaded because it had the following parts missing: hermesfullRing"

I assume, based on the OP that there was to be such a part included?

9 hours ago, smotheredrun said:

I seem to have an issues: when trying to  load the craft file for the Hermes, I  get an error message saying "Craft Loading Error, Craft Hermes was not loaded because it had the following parts missing: hermesfullRing"

I assume, based on the OP that there was to be such a part included?

I checked the original repo by xxhansonmaxx and that part doesn't exist. There is reference in the changelog to "Removing the old single ring part" which I gather is the part that is missing.

He never did any releases from the repo, so there is no back catalogue to get the part from.

However....I just so happen to have his back catalogue in my possession with the full ring in it. Seeing as the license is CC BY-NC 4.0, I will upload version 0.1, which is the only version to have it (it was removed in 0.2).

I'll root around for solar panels too.

Here you go.

6 hours ago, Deimos Rast said:

I checked the original repo by xxhansonmaxx and that part doesn't exist. There is reference in the changelog to "Removing the old single ring part" which I gather is the part that is missing.

He never did any releases from the repo, so there is no back catalogue to get the part from.

However....I just so happen to have his back catalogue in my possession with the full ring in it. Seeing as the license is CC BY-NC 4.0, I will upload version 0.1, which is the only version to have it (it was removed in 0.2).

I'll root around for solar panels too.

Here you go.

Groovy.  I'll play around with that later today.  Thanks!  I did manage to build something that resembles what was in the pics in the OP, however I think I have something goofy, because the entire craft from the Rotating Hub back rotates.... hoping the craft file will shed light on why.....  I believe I have missed a part somewhere...

So, using the current ring hub and not the full one, I have a couple "things":

I cannot get it to constantly rotate, I have to hold down one of the arrows in IR window.  The full ring has a right click option to "start rotation" or something.

One end of the hub rotates as you'd expect.   The other "back" end makes every part attached behind it rotate with the hub.  The full ring does not do this.

I have latest versions of IR plugin and parts (dev versions for 1.2.1).

Do I need to have the IR Sequencer installed?