PSA: When landing an asteroid on Kerbin to furfill the contract....

31 minutes ago, Sonny_Jim said:

Make sure you 'land' it on land, apparently 'splashed down on Kerbin' is not the same as 'Landed on Kerbin'.  :\

Yup, had this problem with ore recovery mission. Floating in the ocean didn't count. On my second attampt it broke in half and ore sunk to the bottom - contract complete. Kinda silly. Floating on the surface? Nope, to difficult to recover, we won't pay you. Oh, it's at the bottom 1000 meters deep? Sweet, here's your cash!

Edited by Leftotian

Yeah by that measure I suppose none of the Apollo missions landed back on Earth because they splashed down :lol:

Currently in the process of making a Jetboat to go drag it back to land.  Screw you game, imma gunna complete the contract even if you have silly rules.

Ore tanks have stupidly weak joints. It took me a dozen tries to land 3000 units (parachutes were plentiful, but land at 8.5 m/s and the joints all fall apart).
Since then, I cheat and lift new, never-been-in-orbit ore off the ground for a second.

"Splashed down" and "landed" give you a complete different set of science reports - as far as I know it is possible to recover both sets for any biome on Kerbin (there are "splashed at mountains" and "landed at sea" too). Just at the end of the landing strip there is a "splashed at Kerbin shores" pool as an example. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.