What Next?

Andrew Ridgely

5 minutes ago, Andrew Ridgely said:

Hey everyone!  Just a quick survey :) After you've explored all the planets and moons, what do you do next? (I am nowhere near exploring all of them, I barely made it to the mun this last weekend. xD) I would just like to know what you all like to do after.  Thanks!

Sincerely,

Andrew Ridgely

Wait for the next update, wait for all your mods to be updated to match, then explore all the planets and moons all over again:D

Planet packs. Mods like Outer Planets Mod, Xen's Planet Collection, Kerbol Origins, and New Horizons, to name just a few of my personal favourites. Even just the few that I've specified contain so many new places to explore. Once you've gone everywhere in the stock system, or even just gotten used to going interplanetary, planet packs provide so many new and exciting destinations. Outer Planets adds wonderfully-designed analogues to Saturn, Uranus, Neptune, and Pluto-Charon. Xen's Planet Collection adds interesting new features to Duna, Eve and Eeloo as well as two unique new planets which pose their own challenges (Mios has an equatorial ocean and Richell rotates backwards). Kerbol Origins adds several planets that are based on unimplemented ideas for the stock system, all of which are well-designed and great destinations to explore. New Horizons rearranges the Kerbol system entirely, changing locations of all the stock worlds and adding numerous new ones; with Kerbin in orbit around the gas giant Sonnah you have to figure out entirely new vehicle designs to traverse the system. And this certainly isn't all of the planet mods out there, there's a lot more including several which add entirely new star systems (one of which that I know of has a couple of tidally locked planets which definitely look intriguing).

Edited by eloquentJane

I haven't finished exploring yet. But beyond "exploring" in the narrow sense of landing on bodies, collecting science, etc., you can do:

-Asteroid redirects.

-Specific challenges like Jool 5 or Grand Tour.  You go to the same places but get different design and piloting challenges.

-Or you can make up your own challenges.  If you used ISRU the first time, try going without.   Or send more kerbals.  Or send the lightest ship  you can.  Maybe build a base on Laythe and use airplane expeditions.

-Random contract missions.  Sometimes they don't make much sense.  But sure, why NOT drop a base with 5000 ore and three viewing cupolas on Moho?  There are also mods to add new contracts.

-Spaceplanes, if you haven't done them along the way.

-Mods to add new planets, or RSS.

Many, many things. Among them

• Challenges. Our challenge forum is chock full of great ones, from the pinnacles of the Jool 5 and Grand Tour challenges, to fun little distractions like the One With Everything challenge. They'll keep you busy for quite some time. And if they're "closed" and you can't get a score, who cares? Do them anyway. Also, after you do a few, you can make up your own and present them for others.
  • Personal Goals. I decided, after I'd visited every world in a hodgepodge way over a long career, to systematically hit every single world with a dedicated "Apollo-style" mission. It was great fun, and I designed every mission from scratch to account for (or take advantage of) each world's unique quirks. This kept me busy for months. Another time (Just recently in fact) I started a new career with the Anomaly Surveyor contract pack and visited every Easter Egg in the game - several of which I'd never seen before. That was another great experience.
  • Mod Cocktails. Think up something you'd like to try, and find the mods to try it. Be it planet packs, life support, programming probes with kOS, or whatever you can dream of. Maybe try Kerbal Construction Time paired with Extraplanetary Launchpads, so it's actually quicker to build off-world than at the KSC. I don't know. Try anything!
  • New versions. Every few months (though these days it seems a bit longer) a new version comes out, and that new version usually has SOMETHING new to learn. Previously I had the pleasure of re-learning how to handle the atmosphere, stock ISRU, and even the introductions of both science mode and career. Next update, we'll be getting restrictions on probes that should prove interesting. And who knows what they'll throw our way in 1.3 when it comes out.

And that's just the stuff I thought of when I started typing. I'm sure there's more.

I'm sure you've probably done it already but you could build a space station.  I always enjoy doing that.  Or you could try a multi-body gravity slingshot (not sure if that's what it's called but basically see if you can send a probe that gets redirected by Duna to head on a fly-by of Jool and then maybe gets redirected again to come back into the inner planets).  Or you could try FASA and fly recreations of historic rockets.  So you could do an Apollo mission using a realistic looking Saturn V and Apollo spacecraft.

OPM mod, Making and using some mods, roving around (either by roling or flying, especially with some electric propellers say for Eve, Laythe, Kerbin, and Tekto).
I also get a kick of taking stuff ppl have built and trying to reproduce them myself. 
I still have to put that refueling station around Pol, and build my base on Tekto.  Let's not forget Urlum (the Uranus analog), which was a personal goal of mine eversince 0.24...  I wanted to build a mega station near the gas giant and refuel/maintain it by mining the nearby moons.

There's always something to do... whether you feel like doing it or not is always another matter. :wink: 

Mods, lots of mods.

And when that's not enough, and you're ready for the next level...

15 minutes ago, regex said:

Realism Overhaul. There is nothing else.

^He gets it. RSS, RO, RP-0.

Edited by Temeter

Interplanetary Transport Tycoon: my objective is to have the most cost-effective and timely network running between every planet and moon orbit, with stations, landers, probes, etc. as appropriate.

The project's running at a significant loss at the moment as it appears there are no customers in the solar system ^^.

The 1.2 update should provide you with something to do once it comes out: a more realistic space program, using probes first and crewed missions later. The fact that you'll have to set up communications networks in order to transmit science data back home should complicate things just enough to make the game interesting again once you've done everything.

Get a planet mod that adds another star at either a realistic distance (not recommended) or a more kerbalised distance (still extremely far) and try your hand at interstellar travel!

Its what my current playthrough is heading towards, Im imagining quite a complex expedition, requiring significant Kerbol-system infrastructure - I intend to launch (eventually) from the outer system.

• Mods, lots of them.
  • Drag racing on Minmus, "skydiving" on Jool, speedracing on Laythe or hillclimbing on Kerbin, all provide great fun (and some end in disaster).
  • Check out some (or all) easter eggs by finding them yourselves.
  • Silly or usefull contraptions like a trampolin on Gilly or an Ion powered glider for Duna (none of them my ideas originally).
  • Overengineering to the max (my favourite). Doesn't even have to be useless, a massive mothership for a Jool 5 mission is great too.
  • Add Lifesupport, Deadly Reentry etc and build a big colony plus infrastructure on Duna (or Laythe).
  • Add RSS and then ditch the lifesupport after you realize how hard it would make your first kerbaled trip to Mars.
  • Take a hiatus.
  • Play around with planet packs and fail to make an interesting planet yourselves.
  • Get RSS (extended), this time with Kerbalism and start colonizing the solar system.

That's more or less what i did, in order. Provided me with over 1000h of fun, still counting :cool:

Add difficulties to make it more interesting, like life support, or only stock engines.

I like adding infrastructure(automated fuel station and a scansat for for every planet)

Once the infrastructure is in place, try sending a small ship to every planet using the fuel stations to replenish fuel and life support at each stop.

Could you repeat the journey if the 'ship' only consisted of habitation space, life support supplies, and docking ports?(probably a little bit of RCS for docking)  (presumably using the fuel stations or other 'local' craft to send you off to the next planet)  Could you do this while still landing on all the planets?( or at least all of them except Eve, Tylo, and Lathe?)  

After exploring all the planets and moons? Never happened to me, KSP always has a major update and I end up restarting my career because half my mods stop working for 3 months :)

I'd suggest adding a couple of planet packs, maybe Outer Planets Mod, Kerbol Plus and Rald (see my sig for links). You'll have your work cut out to visit all of them in any kind of short time frame :) 

Regardless of sandbox, science or career, there's always 100's of scenarios to play out.

Either recreating RL missions (done ones , in progress or planned) or completely new stuff.

I like the single player centric game play which allows me to set my own targets, my own limitations and my own rules.

So running out of stuff to do would mean that I'd run out of imagination, which I hope I never do.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.