Rocket Part Revamp Discussion Thread

32 minutes ago, Merandix said:

It seems KSP is now suffering from an old problem.

KSP was designed, the rocket-parts where a bunch of raked together random bits of art. Squad didn't like them, but priority was never there. Everyone thought they looked weird.

They looked weird for so long, many people are now loving the raked-together feel of the parts. It's KSP's look.

Except it isn't.

It was never intended to be the look of the game, they were merely placeholders that have been there for too long. It merely BECAME the look of KSP. Unintentionally

I think  you're spot on, at least to some degree. Stockholm Sydrome anyone? >:D

I'd say most people will get used to it. And considering the amount of stock replacement/circumeventing mods (from Vens to KWR), there seems to be a lot of interesting in beautifying up the models.

I'm fully in favour of Squad releasing an official mod with the old engines as a little goodbye to the old art... but I LOVE the new engines. A shame they're not getting in the game for the coming update. Also.. do I spy more possibilities for tiny rockets? Will we be getting sounding rockets now? Will that mean we will also be getting a new tech-tree? Is that perhaps the reason the engines got 'delayed'?

So many questions.

Nah, no more tools for small rockets. Only a smaller 909 (which gets in turn bigger) and an inline-puff.

The engines itself aren't delayed, apparently the others are just not finished and we got the ones already sufficiently done.

12 hours ago, Red Iron Crown said:

Check out this image included in the download package of Porkjet's parts:

Spoiler

iINdJyL.jpg

Wait, what's up with the compact versions of each engine? Will tankbutts be toggleable now?

Also, why is the Kerbal holding a banana?

36 minutes ago, Mjp1050 said:

iINdJyL.jpg

The new Poodle... is MARVELOUS !

And this idea of a single Boar engine is great, it could fill the space between the Skipper and Mainsail that is actually detained by the Vector.

38 minutes ago, Mjp1050 said:

Wait, what's up with the compact versions of each engine?

Could it be a possibility to adapt each of these engines to the lower scale ? Like a medium dedicated engine to a small tank, a bit like the <<revolution>> the Vector brought by giving small fuel tanks and craft an engine thrust much more made for the large sector.

I've been using @Porkjet new parts and I love them- I feel kind of dirty using the new Terrier but it's just so slick and pretty- sorry stripe-y old Terrier :) The new tanks look nice and crisp. I can't wait to see the new 2.5 parts in action! The new MK-1 is cool also, but as someone else mentioned the bottom is really round and it intersects the current heat shield- not an issue when attached to bigger things tho.

Edited by Waxing_Kibbous

I'm just gonna say this and I know I'm likely a minority...

But I feel that the original rocket parts, like the mainsail, LV-909, LV-30 and LV-45 and at least some of the fuel tanks should remain as is. Let's be fair, they're some of the only things left from the original game. Every thing else has changed significantly. The aerodynamics are different, the terrain is different, the water is different, the Mun is different, the VAB is different... there's little that is as old as some of those parts. I know some will mention their not the exact originals seeing as the game has gone through two game engine updates. Their still the original design is the point.

They're so old that they are KSP. If you saw a rocket engine like the mainsail in real life, I'm certain most of our minds would instantly recognize it as such. So it would be a huge bummer to see these old timer parts go. I know some people think that they look ugly and unrealistic, but to me; they are KSP. I don't want to see them go...

But again, I likely am a minority (haven't been following the thread so I have no idea if I am or not) so the chances are slim that they will stay. Ah well.

9 hours ago, ZooNamedGames said:

But I feel that the original rocket parts, like the mainsail, LV-909, LV-30 and LV-45 and at least some of the fuel tanks should remain as is. Let's be fair, they're some of the only things left from the original game. Every thing else has changed significantly. The aerodynamics are different, the terrain is different, the water is different, the Mun is different, the VAB is different... there's little that is as old as some of those parts. I know some will mention their not the exact originals seeing as the game has gone through two game engine updates. Their still the original design is the point.

They're so old that they are KSP. If you saw a rocket engine like the mainsail in real life, I'm certain most of our minds would instantly recognize it as such. So it would be a huge bummer to see these old timer parts go. I know some people think that they look ugly and unrealistic, but to me; they are KSP. I don't want to see them go...

But again, I likely am a minority (haven't been following the thread so I have no idea if I am or not) so the chances are slim that they will stay. Ah well.

As it looks like there is a texture changer for these new engines (normal, compact, and aerodynamic) maybe there could be a classic skin as well. I'd never use it but it seems a lot of people like the cartoony look of the Nova parts.

4 minutes ago, Frozen_Heart said:

As it looks like there is a texture changer for these new engines (normal, compact, and aerodynamic) maybe there could be a classic skin as well. I'd never use it but it seems a lot of people like the cartoony look of the Nova parts.

So this is gonna be more of reskins like in simplerockets? 

7 minutes ago, ZooNamedGames said:

So this is gonna be more of reskins like in simplerockets? 

I think that the texture changes do change stats as well. aka the aerodynamic shrouds add mass but lower drag. I hope it is implemented as a button on each part to change it, rather than having 2-4 copies of every engine making the part menu many pages long.

Just now, Frozen_Heart said:

I think that the texture changes do change stats as well. aka the aerodynamic shrouds add mass but lower drag. I hope it is implemented as a button on each part to change it, rather than having 2-4 copies of every engine making the part menu many pages long.

If it's just a reskin, then wouldn't a slider in the right click menu to change the engine look be cleaner? Sort of the way you can change the texture on procedural parts?

I cannot comprehend how anyone could not love Porkjets rocket revamp. Its a vast improvement over the current stock models.

and just look at these!

• inline Puff.
  • engine shrouds tweakable (boat tails?) for reduced drag.
  • tank butt tweakable for attaching large engines to small tanks.
  • new "Boar" engine.
  • new double barrel poodle.
  • non-ugly mainsail.

iINdJyL.jpg

If I had to criticise: The particular shade of yellow on the 1.25 engines is not to my taste, but I think I can go on living regardless.

I cannot wait to see what he/she does with the 2.5m tanks!

Edited by Capt Snuggler

At this point, surely Porkjet must be the most tagged user of these forums?

Anyway, great work! It also delights me seeing the KR-1B "Boar" become its own engine.

Now only to go the way of SpaceY and have double, triple, quadruple and whatnot versions of the same engine. Quad Mainsail all the way!

Notice that one of the objectives was to make the parts visually read like they come from one of the three major manufactures.

The Yellow and Grey = Jeb's junkyard

Orange = Rockomax

White with an orange stripe = Kerbodyne 

I really like everything I see.  I hope that the compact version of each engine fits in the size class below the normal engine.  While I like the look of the new poodle, fitting that compact design into a 1.25m shroud looks difficult.

I also do not see a 3.75m option in the "booster" section.

Just yesterday a friend showed me these:

Spoiler

8ZMlyHu.png

and I was like YES YES ALL THIS IN MY FACE NOW PLEASE. I reaaaaaaally want these shiny parts. Yes KSP is know for its older aesthetic, but games grow and as far as I can tell no game in history has grown more than KSP.

I understand the love for the Old parts, I love them too. And an official mod to add them back into the game would have my full support. But, these new parts represent KSP better, from a time where you could have fun crashing the game by ramming a spear into the ground, to now where its stable enough to make fully functioning turboshafts. KSP Has only gotten better over time.

Now to criticize some of the part designs!

Spoiler

iINdJyL.jpg

Not a fan of the Double poodle thingy, the "Compact" Engine mounts better not be square, I want the 'Thud' for a .65m inline booster engine, the mammoth needs some actual vectors for the in-game model, the skipper looks a bit 'off', and we need that Mainsail model ASAP the current ones nozzle isn't even symmetrical.

Edited by Bloojay
It did something funny to the image in the second spoiler tab and i can't fix it :c

17 hours ago, ZooNamedGames said:

But I feel that the original rocket parts, like the mainsail, LV-909, LV-30 and LV-45 and at least some of the fuel tanks should remain as is.

your status as opinion minority is a bit more than likely buddy. actually a lot more like absolutely guaranteed you are the minority of opinion here or I will have lost faith in humanity's sense of style.

17 hours ago, ZooNamedGames said:

Let's be fair, they're some of the only things left from the original game.

Lets be fair, the original game wasn't that great...

you just remember it more favorably because there were fewer game breakers as a result of rushing. The old parts had a good run but they were always nothing more than placeholders it's time to move on. Just let the old parts bow out gracefully rather than be dragged on like shambling zombies.

18 minutes ago, passinglurker said:

your status as opinion minority is a bit more than likely buddy. actually a lot more like absolutely guaranteed you are the minority of opinion here or I will have lost faith in humanity's sense of style.

Lets be fair, the original game wasn't that great...

you just remember it more favorably because there were fewer game breakers as a result of rushing. The old parts had a good run but they were always nothing more than placeholders it's time to move on. Just let the old parts bow out gracefully rather than be dragged on like shambling zombies.

As I said, I'm the minority.

18 minutes ago, Tweeker said:

What a complete waste of time,

well if you feel that way why are you still here? don't you have an overwatch or dota match or something to get to?

19 minutes ago, Tweeker said:

plus they are trying to sneak in magic nozzles

For the literally billionth time those damn nozzles are scientifically accurate! :mad::mad: :mad: optimal nozzle length is proportional to the engine throat diameter and guess what most of those high efficiency upper stage engines have tiny throats it turns out :P 

6 minutes ago, ZooNamedGames said:

As I said, I'm the minority.

that isn't really an excuse that spares your opinion from analysis and scrutiny if you want to wax nostalgically that's fine, but I can't let actually wanting to keep that old mess of place holder parts slide so easily.

6 minutes ago, passinglurker said:

well if you feel that way why are you still here? don't you have an overwatch or dota match or something to get to?

For the literally billionth time those damn nozzles are scientifically accurate! :mad::mad: :mad: optimal nozzle length is proportional to the engine throat diameter and guess what most of those high efficiency upper stage engines have tiny throats it turns out :P 

that isn't really an excuse that spares your opinion from analysis and scrutiny if you want to wax nostalgically that's fine, but I can't let actually wanting to keep that old mess of place holder parts slide so easily.

I like those earlier parts since they're cartoony and fit being in KERBAL space program... these parts are cool, but as new parts. 

Can't we old players have a bone thrown? We've only been here for 4 years...

Edited by ZooNamedGames

4 minutes ago, ZooNamedGames said:

I like those earlier parts since they're cartoony and fit being in KERBAL space program... these parts are cool, but as new parts. 

What about us old players getting a bone thrown? I love the look of the new parts because they're not cartoony and fit with my image of a KERBAL space program.

Edited by regex

12 minutes ago, ZooNamedGames said:

If "keep the old parts" is the bone "old" players want then they can keep ageing and rot away until they are just bones themselves for all I care. I hate how every time porkjet makes this game better these forum users with an irrational fear of change and progress come out of the woodwork.

being here for 4 years entitles you to zilch you have no place in saying what is kerbal and what is not that belongs to squad and perhaps more specifically porkjet who can define the look of "kerbal" however he pleases so isn't he nice for opting to continue the cartoonishly exaggerated style but with much better production quality and scientific accuracy? boy isn't he talented to pull all this off and make everyone happy? be happy dang it! :P

Edited by passinglurker

6 minutes ago, regex said:

What about us old players getting a bone thrown? I love the look of the new parts because they're not cartoony and fit with my image of a KERBAL space program.

So Kerbals... These mindless, destructive, insane, tinkering and tottering race should be running in parts of extreme realism? Rather than something that was made in someone's shed?

Dont take me wrong I like the new parts, but do they justify replacing others?

Guys, you KNOW within 2 hours of these parts being released there will be a mod which reverts them to the original design - a mod which will take about 30 seconds to install and will change nothing else. It is really not worth fighting over - let squad do their best and focus on the really important issues (Kraken hunting for example). 

1 minute ago, passinglurker said:

being here for 4 years entitles you to zilch you have no place in saying what is kerbal and what is not

But being here for four years means they've played the game since it came out, so after watching the entire public development cycle they most definitely have a say in what's kerbal and what's not.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.