How to land rovers?

DDE

How to land rovers?  

73 members have voted

1. 1. Kerbonauts of every shade of green, how do you get your rovers on the groun?

• Tuck them under a skycrane, duh!
    • Mount them on the side, screw symmetry
    • Erm... Cargo bays?
    • KAS assembly on-site. I'm a pro.
    • Pff, oh, please! I use ExtraPlanetary Launchpads.

I've used various methods depending on the size of the rover and where it's landing. I usually make the rover part of the rocket's fuselage, so there is a section with wheels. For atmospheric planets I just drop it with loads of parachutes. My favorite way though is to have a lander with a docking port at the bottom and attach it so that it can drive up and re attach itself to the lander after being used, and the lander can take off with the rover and land it somewhere else. This works especially well on low gravity planets.

I recently landed a rover on the Mun using a very nasty skycrane setup. The skycrane's engines faced upwards, and the rover the other way, so I'd need to decouple the skycrane from the ship, flip it so the engines face down, get it near the ground, flip again with very careful throttle control so you don't shoot into the ground, decouple the rover, and hope the skycrane doesn't land on it.

...yeah, it needs work. I wish I had pictures.

Typical i attach the rover below the lander and "undock" it in 2-3m height ( drop it ) and then i land the lander a few meters away.
So the design of my lander i typical have engines on the side of the lander or a combination with 2 engines on the side of lander and some fuel tanks that used for landing.
500m after take off i eject the empty fuel tanks + the gear to make the lander lighter..  Fuel tanks and gear explode when it fall down and hit the surface.
That way i have no junk laying on other planets.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.