Chipmunk MKII spaceplane

Good news everyone!

We have rebuilt the Chipmunk for use with 1.1.3

The Chipmunk MK II can reach a 150km orbit and return without refueling. For it's size, that's pretty decent I think.
The craft struggles to break the sound barrier (it's shaped like a potato, so what do you expect) on assent so you may have to dip the nose a bit to help it.
Perfect for emergency crew recovery.
Action Groups:
Abort. Toggle cabin lights.
1. Toggle Rapier mode.
2. Toggle docking light.
3. Toggle docking port and toggle rapier.
4. Toggle elevator deploy for re-entry.

It flies reasonably well considering it's just a potato with a little bit of control surface added in for good measure.

zkQ6PUI.pngzULzMDU.png7gGJQAL.png

QRjv3ld.pngOgr5WKK.png

iEfPgcf.png

4kFbKIf.png

0ZGzfUi.png

Pick yours (like a hot potato) up today! 

https://kerbalx.com/Dr_Farnsworth/Chipmunk-MKII

Did I say Potato enough?

Edited by Dr Farnsworth

Interesting that you mention how it struggles to break the Mach barrier. I have a very similar craft, with a shock cone intake in place of the shielded docking port. It charged into orbit very easily, but when I tried to make a utility version with the docking port, plus radial intakes and RCS, I just couldn't get it to hit the magic 400m/s mark.

5 hours ago, CdrFuzz said:

Interesting that you mention how it struggles to break the Mach barrier. I have a very similar craft, with a shock cone intake in place of the shielded docking port. It charged into orbit very easily, but when I tried to make a utility version with the docking port, plus radial intakes and RCS, I just couldn't get it to hit the magic 400m/s mark.

The shielded docking port has mountains of drag compared to the shock cone. On a craft this small it's going to cause noticeable differences.

On the Chipmunk MKI I got around this by putting a jr docking port on the back of the rapier and having more aerodynamic parts up front. The jr port explodes now when I try it, so the shielded port is what I am stuck with until I figure something else out. 

You could switch out the shielded docking port for a more aerodynamic look. This is my version of your Chipmunk, although is twice as bigger and it services a crew of 4 !

44486ae2162b4d3ca3246b6db2836173.png

But for something in the same spirit as the Chipmunk, here you go :

02e5d3b4df5e41d5b951e9283d647271.png

That's right, 2,000 dV in LKO - it can go all the way to Minmus, land, take off, come back and land with fuel to spare :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.