Anyone want to write a kOS launch script for my Saturn Shuttle?

ZooNamedGames

I've had my Saturn Shuttle for a while now, and I was just curious if someone wanted to write a kOS launch script for it. It's not hard to fly, but it does take an experienced hand. Not quite a request as it's more of just of a "casually desired" thread.  Maybe it's something could sharpen their teeth on. All I require for this is that the target orbital height (apo/peri) and inclination should be modifiable.

For those who are going to say it, no I don't know how to code and I've got a thread about the discussion around my inability. I also know MechJeb2 can do most of this already but a kOS script will be unique to this vehicle and also be 1000x cooler.

Here's some pictures and a video of the Saturn Shuttle:

19ZOLZn.jpg

Thanks for reading :) . For those interested in a bit of story, check my Saturn Shuttle signature link and read more.

• 3 months later...
3 hours ago, sebseb7 said:

can do it.

special mods used? 

where to get the .craft file.

Special orbit requirements? 

It's completely stock with the exception of  KJR to prevent flexing.

Link to craft file- https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0GVLJwOLVGyZUdXWmVha0ZSZmM/view?usp=sharing

Only special requests is that I can alter my target orbit Apo/Peri and inclination before launch.

Thanks so much sebseb :) ! Let me know if you've got any questions or concerns.

the trust vector is different for every stage and the center of weight also.

I can launch it using my script as long as I correct the maximum trust of the orbiter trust (after each stage) so that center of weight and trust vector matches. 

In reality this is done by gimbaling the engine, but the engine you use cannot gimbal that far. 

Edited by sebseb7

2 hours ago, sebseb7 said:

the trust vector is different for every stage and the center of weight also.

I can launch it using my script as long as I correct the maximum trust of the orbiter trust (after each stage) so that center of weight and trust vector matches. 

In reality this is done by gimbaling the engine, but the engine you use cannot gimbal that far. 

All I know is that it works as is. 

2 hours ago, sebseb7 said:

why do you start the 3rd stage at launch? 

This way the 3rd stage ist almost empty when the 2nd stage is dropped. 

You ignite the orbiter's engines to provide the needed thrust to adjust for it hanging off the side. 

You should have half of the ETs fuel left when you ditch the 2nd stage, otherwise the thrust limiters may have been altered. They're supposed to be at 33% for the orbiter's main engines.

Edited by ZooNamedGames

first try.

no roll control, just to see how the airflow moves the orbiter with no roll control applied.

I would redesign the vehicle.

either make the 2nd stage more powerfull or remove it. 
or crossfuel the 3rd stage.

the original saturn-shuttle was planned with only two stages and the orbiter engines would not start at launch. 

8 minutes ago, sebseb7 said:

first try.

no roll control, just to see how the airflow moves the orbiter with no roll control applied.

I would redesign the vehicle.

either make the 2nd stage more powerfull or remove it. 
or crossfuel the 3rd stage.

I suggest trying again but having the orbiter roll completely over like the space shuttle with the orbiter below the ET. the-space-shuttle-at-work-by-howard-alla

Like this ^^^ . That may get more power of the stage your after considering the thrust is not only vertical but also inline as the orbiter SSMEs are not directly downwards like other stages.

Thankfully the SSM-X3 model has 5 Vectors on its 2nd stage which likely is the  power your after.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.