Turboshaft Land Speed Record

TURBOSHAFT LAND SPEED RECORD

This is a new challenge i thought i'd share with the community in the hopes of getting more people interested in turboshaft technology without all the hassle and tweaking of making planes that fly.

Essentially. This challenge will center around how fast we can make a turboshaft powered LAND vehicle to go. 

There will be 3 categories

1. 2 Wheel drive cars

2. 4 Wheels drive cars

3. Boats

RULES

1. Your 2 wheel drive car must be driven by wheels. I.E. no propellers on a square frame. 

2. Your 4 wheel drive car must also be powered by wheels.

3. Boats can be powered by propellers or paddles. Which ever you prefer. 

4. No mods on the actual craft. Mods like VOID and EER can be used to assist in building and monitoring the craft.

5. Your vehicle must be powered by stock turboshaft engine. (obviously) See this thread  for info on how to build your own engine.

6. Your craft must be built in 1.2. This challenge is to test the stability of the game and see what we can do in 1.2.

Here are my examples.

Here is my 2 wheel drive car. She got up to around 22 m/s max. (Pay no mind to the music)

https://kerbalx.com/Gman_builder/Stock-turboshaft-car

Here is my 4 wheel drive car. This one got up to around 4 m/s. (Watch with annotations ON)

https://kerbalx.com/Gman_builder/Gremlin-MK1

HAPPY TURBOSHAFTING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(If you have any suggestions on ways to improve this challenge please tell me)

WINNERS

2 Wheel drive cars:

4 Wheel drive cars:

Boats:

Edited by Gman_builder

I built my first ever rudimentary turbo-shaft yesterday (pretty sure I've ripped someone else's design off even if I thought I was being original), tried to make a boat for this challenge using it but only managed a top speed of 0.1 m/s.  Thing is the turbo appears to spin the shaft and prop fine, but it doesn't go anywhere from there.  think I might have more luck with a car but may now wait until 1.2 drops to refine and hopefully make a better bearing.  Can post pics and craft file after work if you wanted to check out the engine?

SM

6 minutes ago, Speeding Mullet said:

I built my first ever rudimentary turbo-shaft yesterday (pretty sure I've ripped someone else's design off even if I thought I was being original), tried to make a boat for this challenge using it but only managed a top speed of 0.1 m/s.  Thing is the turbo appears to spin the shaft and prop fine, but it doesn't go anywhere from there.  think I might have more luck with a car but may now wait until 1.2 drops to refine and hopefully make a better bearing.  Can post pics and craft file after work if you wanted to check out the engine?

SM

Yeah go ahead. I'd like to check it out. You can try out the 1.2 prerelease now if you want to get a head start, though i found it doesn't increase performance very much if at all in this current build. I get the same FPS with large ships as i did before but now there are just more bugs.

9 hours ago, Gman_builder said:

You can try out the 1.2 prerelease now if you want to get a head start

I'm taking the patience ferry rather than the hype train so am waiting for the full blown release to get involved, but I'm really itching to try it.  Some of the new features look really good for quality of life, and the challenge.  I'm very lucky to be running a Gerty 3000 so performance at full tilt isn't ever an issue for me.

Here's my attempt at a turbo fan.  Having done some perfunctory research it's actually pretty obvious that I've directly plagiarised others designs, and thinking about how many times I've watched videos on stock this or stock that it's hardly surprising:

N7S0zaS.png

And actually, I suppose this next image constitutes my challenge entry, in the form of a turbo-shaft driven boat :)  My boat managed a top speed of 0.1 m/s over water so I believe I'm in first place as we stand :D.  I didn't ever realise there was scattering effects under the sea, but you learn something new about KSP every day so there we go!

NEY0qjE.png

Here's the craft file for the Mullet Dyne Turbo Fan.  Would be amazing if you can pick it apart and tell me where I'm going wrong!  114 parts is way too many for a start I reckon.  I'd be interested whether i'm on the right track, particularly if in it's current form you are able to install it into a working helicopter or air frame for example...

SM

7 hours ago, Speeding Mullet said:

snip

114 parts is actually really good for engine that runs stably. I have one thats still in development that is about the same diameter as yours, but it has almost 250 parts. Albeit it is heavily tuned and has incredible performance.

I suggest adding much more blowers and removing their smoke trails. RPM is everything. I think the problem is that your engine has very low RPM.

16 hours ago, Gman_builder said:

114 parts is actually really good for engine that runs stably. I have one thats still in development that is about the same diameter as yours, but it has almost 250 parts. Albeit it is heavily tuned and has incredible performance.

I suggest adding much more blowers and removing their smoke trails. RPM is everything. I think the problem is that your engine has very low RPM.

Cool so I'm on to something, I just need more "Jeremy Clarkson".  I'll have a play around with it this weekend and see what I can come up with!  In the mean time does 0.1 m/s qualify me for the boat leader-board? :D

EDIT:  I'll probably hold on removing smoke trails unless I get the turbo-shaft bug in a big way.  I'm just really messing around until 1.2 drops for the moment and thought I'd try a few new things!

SM

Edited by Speeding Mullet

13 hours ago, Speeding Mullet said:

In the mean time does 0.1 m/s qualify me for the boat leader-board? :D

hold on removing smoke trails unless I get the turbo-shaft bug in a big way

With a lot of craft they just kind of say 0.1m/s regardless of whether your moving or not. You can be landed in the ocean and your pod will still be reading 0.1 m/s. So i don't really think that qualifies. I think the minimum speed will be 1 m/s. 

I dont know what kind of bug your talking about. The reason we remove the trails is to reduce lag. Your FPS can double if you have a really high blower count craft and you remove the trails.

1 hour ago, Gman_builder said:

I dont know what kind of bug your talking about. The reason we remove the trails is to reduce lag. Your FPS can double if you have a really high blower count craft and you remove the trails.

Not bug as in issue, bug as in can't stop building turbo's :)  Ah right, I get no lag with KSP anyway, unless I'm running upwards of 1000 parts.  Lucky huh!

I'll have another brutal speed attempt at 1 m/s haha!

SM

7 hours ago, The_Rocketeer said:

@Gman_builder I have to ask, why bother with a transfer box? One long axle with a windmill in the middle is still 2-wheel drive will beat anything using any sort of diff.

I'm not really sure what you mean by "windmill in the middle.." but i use a transmission because it saves on part count. I i wanted a 2 wheel drive car with a direct drive line where the wheel hooked straight up to the axle i would need two whole engines. One for each wheel. The part count on these is already high enough so.

44 minutes ago, Gman_builder said:

I'm not really sure what you mean by "windmill in the middle.." but i use a transmission because it saves on part count. I i wanted a 2 wheel drive car with a direct drive line where the wheel hooked straight up to the axle i would need two whole engines. One for each wheel. The part count on these is already high enough so.

Actually what he means is a single engine in the middle and the axles extending on both sides to mount the wheels. This means: no transmission losses due to friction.

2 hours ago, Azimech said:

Actually what he means is a single engine in the middle and the axles extending on both sides to mount the wheels. This means: no transmission losses due to friction.

2 hours ago, Gman_builder said:

When you guys explain to me how to build such a contraption i am all ears.

Azimech has it. :wink:

Gman_builder, I'm confused by your response - direct drive seems much easier to build and operate, at least to my mind. I would prefer to demonstrate than instruct - after all that would give away all the glory :cool: - so I'll see if I can find some time for this later today or tomorrow.

@Gman_builder The Caxles 2WD (40m/s) and Caxles 4WD (28m/s) jet turbine cars:

0KkLXoM.jpg

8RgHD21.jpg

These are horrible and hilarious to drive. The runway explodes under them, hence my grass runs, and I really need some fins to maintain directional control. FWIW this is in 1.1.3, using no cheats but with the config edit to increase rads (not sure if that's even affecting anything considering unoptimised motor and much slower rotation speeds than a plane prop).

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.